Careless Droid Handling

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
donelam304,

Rooting your phone isn't against any ToS, nor is it illegal.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Respect is Number One on Droid Forums and all of our Sister Forums - Let's keep that in mind as we continue the discussion

epsilonbass

Reaction score
Why can't you just walk into a VZW and tell them your phone isn't charging. You don't "know" what happened, you plug it in and it's not charging. Get mad, get loud, get a new phone?

They try to charge it, it doesn't work, then they notice the pins are screwed up... How do you know 100% that their charger didn't mess up your input. They just messed up your phone, demand a new one!

Okay, might be a bit exaggerated, but never hurts to go to the store and see what they can do right?

Reaction score
Any rep with half a brain will realize its damaged, especially if they look at your account and see its been on there for more than a day. Who would keep a phone that wouldn't charge, after all?

Also, suggesting that someone attempt to defraud a major company? I usually don't care if people are vague about what they say, but outright lying is over the top.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

triptych

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you can download this stock build of frg22d, unrooted of course, and flash it onto your phone. that should take away root. has for me a few times.

frg22dupdate.zip

there's always a way. good luck.

EDIT: not sure if this constitutes insurance fraud. apologies in advance.

Awesome! I'm going to have to try to get this to my phone somehow...it's probably too large of a file to send via email.
I am also curious about replacements - assuming I ever get to that point. Would I be sent a "Certified like new" phone?

Listen, and don't take this the wrong way please. Not knowing how to download links to your phone and unroot it without a USB connection and trying to plug it in upside down tells me you never should have rooted in the first place. Here is the simplest solution for you:
Download rom manger. It has the option to flash the stock rom to your device. Its really self explanatory.

Take your phone back to Verizon. Tell them that its not charging anymore. I feel a few small drops can be chalked up to normal wear and tear

Sent from my Droid using my thumbs

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Listen, and don't take this the wrong way please. Not knowing how to download links to your phone and unroot it without a USB connection and trying to plug it in upside down tells me you never should have rooted in the first place. Here is the simplest solution for you:
Download rom manger. It has the option to flash the stock rom to your device. Its really self explanatory.

Take your phone back to Verizon. Tell them that its not charging anymore. I feel a few small drops can be chalked up to normal wear and tear

Speaking of ROM Manager, when you load the stock ROM, it is completely stock or does it backup your installed app's? I've always wanted the ability to load a ROM or SBF, and not have it backup anything, like it was just taken out of the box.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I have liek 3 spare batteries lying around, so a few days ago I ordered a one of those battery chargers for droid batteries. Reason I bring this up, is because if for some reason you're screwed out of getting your phone replaced, you can always buy a spare battery + battery charger off of amazon for like $25 and just charge the one battery while using the other, switch them when the other dies, repeat for 2 years, Lol.

triptych

Reaction score

Speaking of ROM Manager, when you load the stock ROM, it is completely stock or does it backup your installed app's? I've always wanted the ability to load a ROM or SBF, and not have it backup anything, like it was just taken out of the box.

If you have a custom rom flashed you probably have to wipe data. If its the stock rom with an oc kernal and some theming you may not have to.

Sent from my Droid(1!) using my thumbs

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting situation, one that i found myself in... i used to own an EnV, and i had the thing for like a year. After two months the power socket was very loose and i really couldnt charge it without having the power chord in the socket just right. lol, i had remember it was push down and go to the right... well anyway my friend one day was talking about his messed up simple phone and we decided to go to Vz and get it fix. While their i brought up my phone and asked him to update the software (it was the only way to get him to see the problem without outright asking him if it was covored by warentee). The employee obviously didnt know my trick, and discovered socket was messed up, so what he did was gave me a brand new EnV. I want to say it was under factory warrantee but i am pretty sure i had that phone for at least a year and a half. Im not sure if they are nicer about replacing the cheaper phones but you may want to go to verizon with your sisters battery or whatever and ask them to do a simple procedure to it and have them discover the problem. My EnV was probably only like $50 so he may have been cooler with replacing it than replacing a $200 droid...or howerever they cost now. Sorry for spelling im ready to sleep:icon_eek:

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for taking a look at this and responding up until the wee hours of the night. I got up early to mess around with this thing and here are some updates:
-It is charging, but only if it sits in the correct position without disturbances. I'm at 40%.
-Now that the issue of the battery is solved I WILL be able to unroot without a problem. I know ROM Manager was suggested, so I might try that. Typically I've stayed away from it and tried to flash ROMs the old fashioned way, I've had a few problems with ROM Manager in the past and prefer to do it manually anyways.
-I am going to unroot and talk to Verizon today and see what they can do.
To the person who said I shouldn't have rooted in the first place, I appreciate your opinion. In my defense, what better of an opportunity to learn about the subtleties and complexities of my phone? Additionally, I know how to download links to my phone no problem, that's how I get most of my ROMs. My problem last night was that the phone was off.

triptych

Reaction score
When you suggested emailing it to yourself I was under the impression you were unaware of file manger app functions. I don't think there is anything wrong with technology experimentation. Its just helpful to read and research and learn as much as you can before putting yourself in a sticky situation.

Let us know how the unrooting process and trip to Verizon work out for ya.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
I went in and they hooked me up with a certified like new D1 no questions asked. It was much better than I expected. The only thing I'm not too fond of on the phone is the keyboard - the keys feel completely flat, wheras on my previous phone each key was raised more. Nothing to really complain about though, I consider myself lucky.

triptych

Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
With more use the keyboard tends to "bubble" out a bit. That is also a good indication that your pre owned device didn't have a whole lot of miles on it.

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
It truly seems like a completely new phone - I don't see a scratch on the thing and it is in mint condition. I guess its the luck of the draw. But thanks for your help, and everyone else.
All's well that ends well.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
With more use the keyboard tends to "bubble" out a bit. That is also a good indication that your pre owned device didn't have a whole lot of miles on it.

Also i believe their was some shipments of droids that had a bubbly keyboard in general. like mine was bubbly since day 1, but my moms was all flat. her keys are easier to press though...