Car Dock and Charger

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I guess you guys go naked with the docks. What docks have you used with cases or do you take the case off everytime you get in the car? That's not very convenient with the otterboxes.

Proclip offer a car dock for phones with cases, there is a link to the website in this thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I know this isn't a total or right solution but I was looking for a very cheap alternative until the "real samsung car dock" with the charging and aux ports hits the market.

I picked this up yesterday and seems to work well, It doesn't interfere with any of the buttons or access to the ports and is under $20 at most places, I paid $16 for mine.

My only complaint is that with the long arm on it it tends to vibrate some while driving but otherwise it works great so far with my naked nexus. Plus the connector it uses to assemble to the mounting arm will work on my trucks old xm mount so I can use it in my truck without the arm once I get the "real dock" for the car I use everyday so it will not be wasted.

If you have a case I don't think this will work though. I am using the larger brackets that came with this and it is a very snug fit.

Scosche snapFIT - Cellular phone/digital player charger/holder for car

JZNmCfeU6PyEANL2jhgNA8F5jVCp-rS8euBxQIw5Y76jVXaCOpw67Jn6l1E1QKzdlvu1FivkFCd9_X3A97lFVlmrgoNU0VRrhYOL1iWMWSRYqW-zJa0lmYpwOwmD

Last edited:

cruzincat

Reaction score
I received this car dock yesterday. The suction cup works really well, compared to the OG droid mount from Motorolla. The problem with the Samsung is the limited postioning of the phone. If you mount it on a horizontal part of the dash, you cannot position the phone 90 degrees from Horizontal. The front of the phone actually faces upward at about a 30-40 degree angle at best, after adjusting it. The ball joint has very limited range.

The unit will probably work better attached to the windshield, than to the dash, but if your windshield is out of reach, except in the area you need to see ahead while driving you are SOL. The reason I bought it was because of the hole where the rear camera can peer through, so I can use the dash cam app, Daily Roads. As it is, it is looking more at my forward dash than it is at the road ahead. It does secure the Nexus very well though. It is similar to the thin rubber case I picked up from VZW when I got the phone. It has a proprietary connection from the mounting arm to the phone holder, so modifying another mount is a problem.

bricewgilbert

Reaction score
I received this car dock yesterday. The suction cup works really well, compared to the OG droid mount from Motorolla. The problem with the Samsung is the limited postioning of the phone. If you mount it on a horizontal part of the dash, you cannot position the phone 90 degrees from Horizontal. The front of the phone actually faces upward at about a 30-40 degree angle at best, after adjusting it. The ball joint has very limited range.

The unit will probably work better attached to the windshield, than to the dash, but if your windshield is out of reach, except in the area you need to see ahead while driving you are SOL. The reason I bought it was because of the hole where the rear camera can peer through, so I can use the dash cam app, Daily Roads. As it is, it is looking more at my forward dash than it is at the road ahead. It does secure the Nexus very well though. It is similar to the thin rubber case I picked up from VZW when I got the phone. It has a proprietary connection from the mounting arm to the phone holder, so modifying another mount is a problem.

Do you have the thicker Verizon LTE North American version of the Nexus and it works in that Euro dock?

cruzincat

Reaction score
It is the NA version since I just got it on 12/23 in the VZW store. Fits nice and tight. You obviously have to take it out of any other case or cover that you carry it in, in order for it to fit.

captdroid

Reaction score
So this 3 pin car dock works with our Gnex lte?!

cruzincat

Reaction score
No, there is no 3 pin connection. Strictly a holder with a hole where the charge plug can pass through. Right now the only thing I like about this one, other than the fact it holds the GNex, is that the suction mount is about the best I have seen. If my next company vehicle, due in February, has a better windshield arrangement, it may still work out. I have a Grand Caravan now, and will be getting a RAV4. Time will tell.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
No, there is no 3 pin connection. Strictly a holder with a hole where the charge plug can pass through. Right now the only thing I like about this one, other than the fact it holds the GNex, is that the suction mount is about the best I have seen. If my next company vehicle, due in February, has a better windshield arrangement, it may still work out. I have a Grand Caravan now, and will be getting a RAV4. Time will tell.

Then you didn't receive the dock you linked to, you received a different dock.

OP
Leonidas

Leonidas

Reaction score
OEM Samsung car dock and charging dock

FYI -- As noted above, Fommy will begin to ship the Samsung navigation dock and charging dock on January 23. These OEM docks utilize the charging pins on the right side of the phone and are custom designed for the Nexus. I asked Fommy customer service if these docks would work with the LTE version of the Nexus and if removal of a case was necessary to get them to fit in the docks. Here's how Fommy replied:

Hello, yes those items are compatible with both the GSM & LTE versions of the Galaxy Nexus. Unfortunately the dock and mount are not designed to accommodate a case on the phone, so you would need to remove that before mounting your device. Thank you for shopping with us.

Since I don't feel like peeling off my Incipio NGP cover every time the phone needs a charge or when I want to use it in the navigation mode, I'm going to pass on these accessories. Hope this information helps some of you out there.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
Until I hear that the car dock Fommy is shipping 1) has the three prongs and 2) works with the CDMA Galaxy Nexus, I'm going to remain skeptical -- we've yet to hear *anything* from anyone else.

Though I wouldn't be at all surprised if the GSM dock works with the CDMA phone. Half a millimeter isn't much of a difference.

ppophil

Reaction score
I too am looking for the car dock. I had the DX car dock and miss it badly. Over $100 for UK version on Amazon. The Google Car Home app is not compatible with ICS