Car Dock and Charger

Kancerstick

Reaction score
Got my procllip two day ago... about Three weeks after i ordered. It is solid and its the only Dock i found that mount securely to anything but the windshield. It seems fine so far, not as rock solid and i expected but Very stable.

could you please post pics!!!!! im so anxious to see how it fits and everything with the phone!!!!!!!!!!! gimme giime gimme *foams at the mouth*

TeeX

Reaction score
The pro clip looks good but it has the one thing I was trying to avoid with the dock especially in the car and that is avoiding stress on the micro usb connector. It was why I was looking forward to these docks when sammy "tricked us all" not having to deal with cables and stressing out the connector by constatly plugging in and out as I take it with me on my "Journeys of life".:icon_cool:

plugging and unplugging the usb will hurt the phone?

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
plugging and unplugging the usb will hurt the phone?

Generally no it doesn't.

It's just over the years I have generally treated my phones well , a drop here and there but nothing too bad. But one thing that has happened on almost every phone that I have owned that does not use a form of external contacts for charging, eventually the charging ports have gone bad from the stress or vibration while driving with the plug in the socket.

My droid was the exception to that rule but it had a very sturdy connector on it and when you plugged it in there was almost zero play between the socket and connector.

I don't know if everybody elses feels the same as mine but the micro usb on the nexus just does not feel as sturdy as it did on the droid. Thus my fear it will eventually go bad...even more so if you have it in a holder standing on end and getting bounced and vibrated constantly on the road.

TeeX

Reaction score
Generally no it doesn't.

It's just over the years I have generally treated my phones well , a drop here and there but nothing too bad. But one thing that has happened on almost every phone that I have owned that does not use a form of external contacts for charging, eventually the charging ports have gone bad from the stress or vibration while driving with the plug in the socket.

My droid was the exception to that rule but it had a very sturdy connector on it and when you plugged it in there was almost zero play between the socket and connector.

I don't know if everybody elses feels the same as mine but the micro usb on the nexus just does not feel as sturdy as it did on the droid. Thus my fear it will eventually go bad...even more so if you have it in a holder standing on end and getting bounced and vibrated constantly on the road.

maybe with it standing on end "on" the usb, but I wouldn't really think that the usb port would have any significant stress on it with the OEM model here:

View attachment 46460

I have this model, and it holds the Nexus super-secure, there is zero movement of the phone.

cruzincat

Reaction score
You can also get right angled Micro USB connectors. The cheapest I have found are with the one of the deals you can get buying the EZ Stand for desktops.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Did you get the one with the built in charger? How is it not as solid as you expected?

Didn't get the one with the charger because i have two car chargers and i rarely charge in the car. Plus one of the chargers i have has a regular cord (not the spiral one) and i can wire it nicely.
Its not as solid as i expected because they claim you can drill the dock into the mount in any position you want and if you have enough room you can even add a second dock on the same mount. Well i figured i need enough room for a second device just in case (might mount a CB radio mic) so i drilled it all the way to the left, it wouldn't hold. The only way it holds is if you drill it into the prepared holes they have in the mount. And even with that setup i try to be very gentle taking the phone in and out of the dock.

Regardless though for my Jeep there is better solution out there that i could find, so i'm pretty happy.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
there is a note at the bottom of the product description:

NOTE:-THE MICRO USB CONNECTS TO THE PHONE DIRECTLY, NOT TO THE MOUNT.
THIS IS USA VERSION MOUNT (EUROPEAN VERSION HAS PIN CONNECTOR IN THAT).
THERE IS NO ANY AUDIO JACK ON THE MOUNT.

dang
:frown:

In other words, they pulled a bait-and-switch, since they explicitly told customers earlier that this used the pin connectors, as well as displaying that model.

Well, that's a site I'm never going to be using.

skaman9876

Reaction score
there is a note at the bottom of the product description:

NOTE:-THE MICRO USB CONNECTS TO THE PHONE DIRECTLY, NOT TO THE MOUNT.
THIS IS USA VERSION MOUNT (EUROPEAN VERSION HAS PIN CONNECTOR IN THAT).
THERE IS NO ANY AUDIO JACK ON THE MOUNT.

dang
:frown:

THAT'S SO MESSED UP.... I'm pissed now. Debating returning it mine should be here monday... Customer service completely straight out lied to us all. Many others and I asked repeatedly if it utilized the pogo pin connections and had the charger and 3.5mm audio jack built in and all said yes. NOT COOL FOMMY

shuttered13

Reaction score
That note was not there a few days ago, and I pre-ordered this thing back in December...soooooo Fommy just got a nasty gram. Let's see what they do.

OP
Leonidas

Leonidas

Reaction score
That's very deceptive of Fommy. I started this thread back in December in search of a US source for the 3 pin car dock and the 3 pin multimedia dock. Right after that Fommy told me that the vehicle dock that they would ship in January utilized the 3 pin connector. I'm glad I waited and did not order the dock on the strength of Fommy's representation.

Fommy has collected back orders on the dock with the pins for 6 weeks and then at the last minute, it switches the product and ships a different dock without the pins and doesn't bother to first inform buyers of the switch? Amazing! If you want the US version,you can buy that from Verizon
for around $30.

If you were also interested in the multimedia desktop dock with the 3 charging pins, be aware that Fommy has now added a note informing that the dock charges through a micro USB connector. They are still showing a picture of the European dock with the pins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums