1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Car Dock and Charger

Discussion in 'Galaxy Nexus Accessories' started by Leonidas, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Sorry if this has been raised before. I was just browsing the official Samsung USA website and I see that Samsung sells essentially the same car dock and charger that Verizon sells -- that is, the "no power" car dock and stand up charger that employs the micro USB connector. I declined to buy these accessories when I purchased my phone because they don't take advantage of the charging pins on the side of the phone. While cruising the web, I see that Samsung makes and markets in the EU a car dock that utilizes the 3 pins on the side of the GNex and that also includes a headphone jack. Samsung also has developed a charger base that allows the phone to lay on its side in the landscape mode and receive a charge through the 3 pins. It appears the the charger may not be on the market yet. See these links:

Genuine Samsung Galaxy Nexus Vehicle Dock - ECS-K1F2BEGSTD

Samsung Desk Stand for Galaxy Nexus - EDD-D1F2BEGSTD

Does anyone know if these official Samsung accessories are going to become available in the USA and if so, when?
    I'd hate to have to buy these items internationally. The UK prices are steep.

thanks
  2. BOA

BOA New Member

So I take it the accessories you just listed are not for the US Nexus huh?
  3. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

I dont think that there is any difference externally between the USA version and the EU version of the phone. The accessories that i.provided links to should work just the same.
  4. Larry Mahnken

Larry Mahnken New Member

The US version is thicker.
  5. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

I would guess that the small difference in thickness wouldn't make the accessories a non-fit. The car dock looks like its made from silicone or a similar substance that has some give. I dunno. Maybe the thickness issue explains why these accessories aren't sold in the USA. If that's the case I hope that Samsung develops versions for the USA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  6. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

I have held back on buying a car dock for the same reason but i think i am going to go with this...

Edit: Just ordered it...
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. BOA

BOA New Member

If it wasn't so expensive I would have gone for it and tried my luck.
  8. Chizzele

yea the combination of the two components came up to $73.. But this is the best setup for my Jeep as it has a fairly small windshield and this mounts off the dashboard.. I didn't get the one with the wired charger though as i have a car charger already. And anyway i work a mile away from home so a rarely charge in the car..
  9. pnovak67

pnovak67 New Member

Proclip car cradle & mount

I've been using ProClip cradles on my MotoQ, BB Storm, and most recently my OG Droid. IMHO they're the best vehicle solution. Even had one on my motorcycle. It's hard to justify the price of the wired cradles but once you start using one the convenience outweighs the cost....

Can't wait until the GNex wired cradles are available!

recommended! ProClipUSA

10. Chizzele

Thanks, glad to see a positive review... isn't this the wired cradle

Edit: just noticed those are for pre-order...
  11. zathus

zathus New Member

I ordered the one from fommy. Got this email today

Hello, We'd like to apologize for the incomplete response which was sent previously. The vehicle dock which we have is not the same as that which is offered by Verizon. This dock connects to your phone using the 3-pin connector on the side, in order to charge and output audio through the dock's connections. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks

Ticket Details =================== Ticket ID: TAR-618474 Department: Fommy.com HelpDesk Priority: Low Status: Open

So....guess I'll find out in a month or so. Think it ships on the 23rd

12. Larry Mahnken

Larry Mahnken New Member

That's like, the third different response I've seen from them. One said that it did *not* have the 3-pin connectors.

If they're selling one with the 3-pin connectors for the CDMA Nexus, they're gonna get a ton of business in a month.
  13. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

I guess you guys go naked with the docks. What docks have you used with cases or do you take the case off everytime you get in the car? That's not very convenient with the otterboxes.
  14. Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight New Member

What is the part # of this particular charging car dock from fommy? I can't seem to find it on their website.
  15. fantom557

fantom557 New Member

16. Chizzele

Proclip offer a car dock for phones with cases, there is a link to the website in this thread.

17. Chizzele

How do you like it? I got a backorder notice for the pro clip i ordered..

18. DesktopDevin

DesktopDevin Member

I know this isn't a total or right solution but I was looking for a very cheap alternative until the "real samsung car dock" with the charging and aux ports hits the market.

I picked this up yesterday and seems to work well, It doesn't interfere with any of the buttons or access to the ports and is under $20 at most places, I paid $16 for mine.

My only complaint is that with the long arm on it it tends to vibrate some while driving but otherwise it works great so far with my naked nexus. Plus the connector it uses to assemble to the mounting arm will work on my trucks old xm mount so I can use it in my truck without the arm once I get the "real dock" for the car I use everyday so it will not be wasted.

If you have a case I don't think this will work though. I am using the larger brackets that came with this and it is a very snug fit.

Scosche snapFIT - Cellular phone/digital player charger/holder for car

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  19. cruzincat

cruzincat New Member

I received this car dock yesterday. The suction cup works really well, compared to the OG droid mount from Motorolla. The problem with the Samsung is the limited postioning of the phone. If you mount it on a horizontal part of the dash, you cannot position the phone 90 degrees from Horizontal. The front of the phone actually faces upward at about a 30-40 degree angle at best, after adjusting it. The ball joint has very limited range.

The unit will probably work better attached to the windshield, than to the dash, but if your windshield is out of reach, except in the area you need to see ahead while driving you are SOL. The reason I bought it was because of the hole where the rear camera can peer through, so I can use the dash cam app, Daily Roads. As it is, it is looking more at my forward dash than it is at the road ahead. It does secure the Nexus very well though. It is similar to the thin rubber case I picked up from VZW when I got the phone. It has a proprietary connection from the mounting arm to the phone holder, so modifying another mount is a problem.

20. bricewgilbert

bricewgilbert New Member

Do you have the thicker Verizon LTE North American version of the Nexus and it works in that Euro dock?
Search tags for this page

car dock charger for galaxy s 4 in uk

dock to charge using 3 pins on side of phone

nexus one dock three pin charging