Can't swipe to unlock!!

Shibbey

Reaction score
OK, here is the situation. My gf has a droid that the touchscreen went bad. We already recieved a replacement from Verizon. She wants to back up all the internal data that was on the phone using an app like Titanium (yes I know that requires root). The problem being, she can't swipe to unlock the phone to install or run anything to even do the backup.... It is just that region of the screen malfunctioning

1. Does anyone know how to unlock the phone without using the swipe method. And no, we cannot install an app to bypass this since we can't swipe it to unlock it.

2. Better solution would be if there is a method of accessing the phones internal memory via the PC.

3 .Another possible solution I thought of. If we do a nandroid backup with SPRecovery, would that cover backing up and internal data that apps would have creaated?

Apparently she was using an app for some word processing and some other stuff, and she says it is NOT stored on the SDCard. I don't understand why an app would be designed to hog internal memory like that, but that is what she claims.

Any ideas?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you did a back-up with SPR it would copy everything then you could root the replacement device and restore that back-up and be right where you were before the problems started

Also with ADB and a computer you could copy the phones internal memory

OP
Shibbey

Shibbey

Reaction score
I would prefer to use ADB. Do not want to lose what she has on her new phone already. Problem is, I have NEVER used ADB. Anyone willing to provide details instructions?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking for a decent write-up for you :)

OP
Shibbey

Shibbey

Reaction score
Awesome. I went ahead and installed the Android SDK and downloaded some packages. So, I do have ADB installed now. I also have it set up with ADB as an enviroment variable so I can run it from cmd prompt in any directory.

I just need to know how to force ABD to connect to the phone and pull files from it.
TIA

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have a good start already, I p.m'd someone and as soon I hear something I will post back...unless someone else picks up this thread with some ADB knowledge

OP
Shibbey

Shibbey

Reaction score
Thank you. If nothing else this will be a good learning experience to put me on the path for learning the ins and outs.
Soon to be developer in the making. LOL I can't count how many times I find an app I like but they would include soooo much extra.. blah One day...

OP
Shibbey

Shibbey

Reaction score
OK.....

My phone was already showing up like that. Must be from installing the drivers and RSDLite to do put ROMS on my phone. Now how do I interact and pull the files from it?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is another link to read up on Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers I have asked someone specifically about the one command to pull the entire contents of a device using ADB so we should hear something today, usually it wouldn't take so long but I am not proficient in ADB

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Good morning!

Sounds like kind of a bummer.

Well, I'll start by saying, if you have SPRecovery on the phone (or want to put it there) that would probably give you the best backup. You don't need the touch screen to use SPRecovery. If you don't already have SPRecovery on the phone, and want to go that route, you can use this guide and just do steps 1-2, skip 3, and 4-13. Then just stay in SPRecovery, do an Advanced Nandroid Backup, and turn on any items that aren't checked.

If you'd rather go the ADB route, that's pretty simple too. It sounds like ADB is already installed and working - these instructions assume that it is located at c:\android\tools. If it is somewhere else, adjust the below accordingly.

1. Open a command prompt on your PC.
  2. Create a directory somewhere that will hold all the files you're going to copy.
  3. Make that directory the current (default) directory.
  4. Do this command: c:\android\tools\adb pull / .
That should copy pretty much the entire phone to the current directory on your machine.

Hope that helps.