Crashes when Swiping to Unlock

gnomeh

Reaction score
New to the forums and new to the Droid X. First real smartphone and love every bit of it.

I have this unfortunate problem tho where my Droid will crash when swiping to unlock. Actually, not less than 1 hour ago, it crashed when swiping to change the ringer from vibrate back to on. I've searched Google and even these forums for answers but the best I have been able to find is a few discussions but definitely no real solutions.

My Droid X is upgraded to 2.2OTA and is rooted. I have pretty much the same apps any normal user would. Thanks for any help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What have you done since rooting? Are you running a custom rom/kernel/theme? When did the problem start and in particular did you make any changes near the commencement of this problem?

OP
G

gnomeh

Reaction score
I removed most of the default applications that Verizon decided I needed. I read around and didn't remove any of the recommended "DO NOT TOUCH" items such as the blur. Not running any custom roms, kernels or themes. I should also probably mention it occurs once everyday or once every two days, it seems.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, my guess would be that it has to do with a removed app that the system looks for and then crashes when it can't find it. When you say you removed them, did you delete them or rename then or move them to the sdcard? I would start reinstalling them one at a time to see if the problem is fixed.

You may want to eventually consider doing a Factory Hard Reset.

OP
G

gnomeh

Reaction score
Just renamed them. Weird the problem only occurs once it a while. Is there anyway to check an error log or what application was attempting to run?

I'll begin to rename some of the removed apps to see if any of them could be at fault.

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just renamed them. Weird the problem only occurs once it a while. Is there anyway to check an error log or what application was attempting to run?

I'll begin to rename some of the removed apps to see if any of them could be at fault.

There are some log apps in the market. You could install one and see if you can get some clues.

Good luck.

OP
G

gnomeh

Reaction score

There are some log apps in the market. You could install one and see if you can get some clues.

Good luck.

KK. I'll look around for one. Thank you.

OP
G

gnomeh

Reaction score
So.. I messed with a few things and re-enabled some stock apps that may have been questionable to disable, then gave it 1-2 days just to see if I could notice anything and unfortunately I had no luck. I've been searching the market for an app that would display what program was attempting to run before my phone crashed but haven't been able find anything suitable.
Can anyone recommend an app? or have any other ideas that may possibly help? Thanks again.

OP
G

gnomeh

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an app? or have any other ideas that may possibly help? Thanks again.

Sorry to keep bumping but can anyone please recommend an app. I've searched and it seems the app will either overstate its usefulness or it isn't quite what I need. Just need an app that will provide an error log or will keep any sort of log of what programs we're running, or attempting to run, before the crash occurred.

dweicht31

Reaction score
I am having the same issues. I am considering going into my apps and renaming all the bloatware back to apk and see what happens.

xCOOLHWIPx

Reaction score
I too have had this problem for quite some time. I am running 2.2 OTA and have rooted. Not running anything else custom. What mine does is every now and again when I slide to unlock the phone resets and when it reboots it is in landscape mode but the slider lock is in portrait mode. I then have to wait for it to boot and do a manual reset to get it back to normal. I decided to unroot and returned to 100% stock and it did not fix the problem. I have no idea what is causing it, but I am sure it isn't root since once back to stock I still had same issue.