Can't send pictures through mms

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
WTF? Now can't send pictures through messaging? Google Voice issue?

Now that I have Google Voice, is that keeping me from sending pictures from the camera in a text message? I can't seem to find a setting that allows me to send sms from the phones number. I can't seem to send in Handcent or the messaging app that came with the phone.

So far, not totally impressed with the GV thing. Other than setting multiple phones to ring when I want it too, there's more down sides that seem to appear.

Thanks

Last edited:

tarnishednite

Reaction score
Can't send mms

Do you mean that you cannot send mms at all, or just not from your google voice number.

I am currently not able to receive mms at all.

It is not currently supported to send mms messages from your google voice number. Hopefully this support will be added in the future.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I haven't been able to send any kind of MMS for a while. That includes pics, sound or messages over 160 characters. Tried everything including a reset. It is not an isolated problem but no one has found a solution yet.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I haven't been able to send any kind of MMS for a while. That includes pics, sound or messages over 160 characters. Tried everything including a reset. It is not an isolated problem but no one has found a solution yet.

I can send fine but I receive mms very randomly get some don't get others, no pattern.

Done many data/cache wipes and restores. Seems like if i go back to no root I get them pretty consistently, (although never been unrooted for long enough for a true test) but after restoring with root sometimes it works for a while (1hr or 2) then it goes back to random, sometimes straight to random.

Thinking of calling Verizon and see if they can reset something on their end but I assume they r going to want me to factory reset. I just need time, I would assume I will be on the call for a while!

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now that I have Google Voice, is that keeping me from sending pictures from the camera in a text message? I can't seem to find a setting that allows me to send sms from the phones number. I can't seem to send in Handcent or the messaging app that came with the phone.

So far, not totally impressed with the GV thing. Other than setting multiple phones to ring when I want it too, there's more down sides that seem to appear.

Thanks

Google Voice is for SMS only. You cannot use it for MMS

Do you mean that you cannot send mms at all, or just not from your google voice number.

It is not currently supported to send mms messages from your google voice number. Hopefully this support will be added in the future.

Have either of you tried the handcent application? I can send MMS with no issues using this app.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks

Have either of you tried the handcent application? I can send MMS with no issues using this app.

I use Handcent exclusively and still have these problems, same problem with stock messaging app. grrrrrrrr.....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks

I use Handcent exclusively and still have these problems, same problem with stock messaging app. grrrrrrrr.....

I noticed your rooted. Has this always been an issue or just after you rooted your Droid? Maybe you need to take your issue over to Pets's thread.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I noticed your rooted. Has this always been an issue or just after you rooted your Droid? Maybe you need to take your issue over to Pets's thread.

I've posted in Pete's thread and on his site but it seems to happen with all roms but not always right away (sometimes takes a little while before I can't receive receive).

Seems like it has always been issue but I can never bring myself to stay unrooted long enough for a full test.

This is the only consistant problem i've had with the droid. Or at least the only problem i haven't been able to fix yet.

Wish I could figure this out!!!

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, here's an old thread.
When i posted this I had yet to root. I since realized that GV won't do it. Handcent would do it but I had to max out the allowable MMS size.

Since I don't think about sending pics thru MMS as much as I thought I would (but still want the option) I haven't tried it on the last couple ROMs.

With BBv1.0, I just tested it and the picture, though a bit slow, went through and was received.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All I know is sometimes I get receive and sometimes i don't.

It really has me pissed 'cause, like I said it's the only thing not working correctly on my phone!!

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
i don't think I've ever missed any. I know that most people that have my GV number as my main number, don't know that if they send me an MMS through it, I'll never know it.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't use GV for anything but the "Visual Voicemail" feature.

My mms isn't working correctly with handcent/stock messaging app.

tarnishednite

Reaction score
Re: Background

I have been using handscent exclusively and up until recently it worked just fine. What I am wondering about is if this could have something to do with my device previously being rooted.

I rooted on 2.0,
unrooted
Installed the 2.1 rom from Google (no vzw update)

other than that everything else is normal . . . at least i think

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been using handscent exclusively and up until recently it worked just fine. What I am wondering about is if this could have something to do with my device previously being rooted.

I rooted on 2.0,
unrooted
Installed the 2.1 rom from Google (no vzw update)

other than that everything else is normal . . . at least i think

Could be but I doubt it. When i decided to start all over i went back to 2.0.1 then did the OTA and then rooted 2.1. For me this problem has been on going fom the beginning no matter what Rom I use. Like I said before don't know if it's because of root, haven't been unrooted long enough to find out.

tarnishednite

Reaction score
One thing that I noticed I forgot to mention in this thread. My problem seems to be directly related to google voice usage. In fact my coworker who has a completely different android phone seems to be having the same problem. If I turn off voice mail forwarding I am able to receive pictures.

As far as I know I am able to send pics, but not counting on that either at this moment.