Can't SBF from bootloader on stock GB

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by decibelmute, Jul 21, 2011.

1. decibelmute

decibelmute New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I just recieved a replacement DX after breaking my last one, and it came with moto gingerbread preinstalled.

I'd like to SBF back to Froyo and get CM7 running, but for some reason when I go to the bootloader, the phone won't show up on ADB, and I can't flash the Froyo SBF.

This isn't my first time SBFing, and I've never hit issues before. My bootloader version is 30.04. The phone recognises that it's been plugged into usb ("Transfer Mode: USB" on bootloader), and my computer sees the phone attached to USB, but still no luck.

I'm on Linux, and using the "sbf_flash" script. I've tried flashing on Windows 7 as well (with RSD Lite 4.9), but to no avail.

Does anybody know why this is happening?

EDIT: I just wanted to add that ADB still works perfectly while the phone is turned on, so it's not an issue with the cable or the drivers.

#1 decibelmute, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. americanz

americanz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your nit rooted so woulnt that make you bootloader locked? And there's not root for stock gb yet so I think your stuck for now. Imo I'm just a noob and could be wrong

Sent from my D2 GB Apex 2.0 @1.4ghz

3. decibelmute

decibelmute New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty sure you should always be able to SBF from the bootloader, rooted or not... Though I've only ever done it on a rooted phone. Still, rooting doesn't do anything to the bootloader at all.

I think moto may have recently modified the GB bootloader to prevent SBFing. I had this same exact issue with my old permabricked DX. After upgrading it to GB, I got stuck in the bootloader (version 30.04) and it wouldn't let me SBF.

This is really strange... And I miss ROM goodness :(

4. decibelmute

decibelmute New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well after much rebooting and reinstalling drivers, I got RSD Lite to see the phone on Windows 7, and successfully got myself back to Froyo, rooted, and to CM7.

Why it suddenly worked? I have no clue... But I'm a happy camper :)

5. FernBch

FernBch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From what I understand, the bootloader has not changed, only the rom has. Root, GB should not stop sbf. What I have read is some have issues with RSD4.9, go back to 4.8 is being given as the fix. Or, you can get the bootable linux iso image. Fully automated and totally painless way back to Froyo. Search, it's here if you want it.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

6. decibelmute

decibelmute New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I was about to give the Linux ISO a shot, but since I finally got RSD Lite to work, I didn't get to try it out. Next time I need an SBF I'm definitely giving it a try.

Strangely enough, though, I use Linux as my main OS on my laptop, but I couldn't get the sbf_flash script to work this time around... Instead it stalled at "waiting on phone". This struck me as weird, since it has always worked perfectly for me in the past, and the method is technically the identical to the Linux ISO method.

7. ldopa

ldopa Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You can use rsd lite 4.9. On win 7 you need to run rsd as administrator. Use the full sbf, latest drivers and rsd lite.
    Also, team black hat has an all in one zip that will take you back to froyo and install cm7 in one shot. That's what I did on my d2. Cm is great!

CM74D2

8. PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking into this myself. I have had it with GB. It simply doesn't work for the DX. No luck yet, but still trying. I'm on DX #5. This is very disappointing!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

9. decibelmute

decibelmute New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems that my issue was because I neglected to SBF as administrator (right click RSD Lite, go to properties, there's a checkbox for "Always run as Administrator" or something to that effect in there somewhere...) or as root on linux ("sudo sbf_flash VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.zip").

Not sure this is the same issue you're having, but you should give the 1KDS LiveCD a shot, it's pretty much foolproof (just google "1kds iso" and follow the instructions). Just tried it for the first time today since my laptop HDD unfortunately crashed, and it worked like a charm.

10. cjriddle22

cjriddle22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Being rooted and having a locked bootloader are two totally different things. Being rooted or stock has nothing to do with the ability of being able to SBF. Not trying to noob bash, just thought you should know that the two are not related at all.

11. decibelmute

decibelmute New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very true, the bootloader and the operating system are entirely different entities.

However, to flash an SBF from a Linux desktop / laptop you must run "sbf_flash" as root. Of course, being root on a Linux desktop is not the same as being root on your phone :p

12. americanz

americanz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said I could be wrong. But thanks for clearing that uo

Sent from my D2 GB Apex 2.0 @1.4ghz

Search tags for this page

why cant you sbf back to froyo