Can't install roms on my phone... doesn't make sense. Help ?

Briannn

Reaction score
Okay - well here's what i've been experiencing. I purchased my Motorola Droid less than a week-ago and due to my geek-nature, of course I wanted to Root my phone as soon as possible. Over the past 24 hours, i have researched and struggled and now finally have a rooted droid on the 2.0.1 OS. I have purchased ROM manager - downloaded BB v1.1, Ultimate Droid v10, and Cyogenmod. and have tried to install them over 30 times without any luck.

Here's my problems so far

- Clockworkmod will not initialize unless i have an older version. The newest version freezes upon booting my phone in recovery. so i've been doing everything on version 1.8.0 instead of 1.8.1 (dont know if this could be part of the problem)

- Every rom i have loaded whether it be manually through sprecovery, or automatically through ROM manager fail in some way.
BB- either fails upon manual installation, or if i hit a stroke of luck and get it to install, proceeds to freeze at the M screen, or loop the boot screens.
UD- same
Cyogen- can't even get it to install via ROM manager or manually.

So overall, i'm frustrated, and downright confused. Usually i'm pretty competent when it comes to technology, but this has been too much. If anyone has any ideas of what might be the trouble please let me know. If i can't figure this out today I will most likely just go back to 2.1 an wait for 2.2

P.S> ideally i want to be running Bugless Beast, although it seems to be the ROM giving my phone the most trouble

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had similar problems, especially the first time I installed CMR over SPRecovery.

Working with an old version of CMR shouldnt hurt you, so I wouldnt worry about that.

What fixed my similar problems, was reformatting my SD card. I moved all of the data off of it, formatted it, and then put the data back on.

Weird, but it worked.

Good luck.

OP
B

Briannn

Reaction score
this could possibly be the problem. how do i format my SD ?

okay now i know how to re-format it. but will this delete my nandroid files or is that located elsewhere ? I guess what i'm asking is can i Re-format my SD card, recovery, upload my backup, and all will be well ?

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Either mount to the PC and do it that way, or pull the card and stick it in a computer and do it that way.

You might be able to do it from CMR, but I'm not sure, and you wouldnt be able to backup your files.

OP
B

Briannn

Reaction score
got it. just made a copy of my SD card on my desktop. Hopefully this works out... it seemed like it was more an issue with the phone itself than me not following directions, or using the programs correctly.

I'll keep you posted. BBv1.1 downloading as we speak

OP
B

Briannn

Reaction score
in fact, that's exactly what i did. DM updater for root. Then Rom Manager to download and install BB.

The closest i've gotten was having it completely install on my droid, and then get stuck on the boot loop. Hopefully this SD wipe fixes whatever my phone is being such a ***** about.

OP
B

Briannn

Reaction score
Whats unusual is that my phone is basically as stock as you can get. It's running on 2.0.1 operating system, it's like 4 days old, and i have absolutely nothing on the SD card... so obviously this is not some fault of my own. New droid phones don't have any sort of anti-root protection, right ?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
He wouldnt be able to make it that far if he wasnt rooted. He'd be thrown all sorts of errors.

OP
B

Briannn

Reaction score
my phone rooted without a hitch. Super user is there, and i have full access to ROM manager.

I didn't try DM 1.0, on account of the fact i don't want that ROM. although i could try it if it really gets to that point.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week, I responded to a similar post. A new unrooted phone, rooted, installed Rom Manager, installed BB, then stuck in a boot loop. My sense -- rom manager is the culprit!

Here is a link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/38233-real-time-irc-support-click-here.html to an online support site that Koush and his team monitor. Koush requested members use the site to report problems.

If they are able to resolve please post the solution for others that may need.

Mike

OP
B

Briannn

Reaction score
Success - It seems the SD reformat did the trick. At least that's what i'm assuming. I'm now running BBv1.1 at 1.2 with smoked glass. Thanks for the help everyone... i would have been stuck on 2.1 otherwise.

I hope this post helps others with similar problems.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you resolved the problem.

I still believe that Rom Manager is causing issues for folks. Currently, I'm helping another member who installed Cyanogen and the 3G is hosed. Interestingly, the solution seemed to be reformatting the SD card. The only connection I can make is that Rom Manager is pushing towards the APP2SD.

Mike

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The errors I had that formatting the SD card fixed were definitely related to the SD card partition blowing up.