Can't install google maps update

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
had the same problem as mustang, I got a failure error, but it still removed maps and I cant install maps from the market. I tried redoing it but I got no such file exists the second time

did you delete maps.apk before trying this?

Retribution

Reaction score
jrummy's suggestion worked for me. make sure you mount sys as r/w and that Maps.apk is removed. I was doing the `pm uninstall ...` before removing Maps.apk and it was failing, but once removed it worked just fine (was doing it via adb shell, not that it should matter though).

Im new to this whole rooting thing, so I did it exactly like jrummy posted it. no dice, the maps app is gone, but I cant reinstall it

JimK

Reaction score
Same failure with old version gone. Also learned that MyBackup didn't back up Maps even with root access. Watching for /searching for another solution.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ChefGregg89

Reaction score
See that screenie? That’s my JRummy Kangeraded Froyo Droid running the new Google Maps 4.3 which was released earlier today. Reader scrizzo just sent over a set of instructions I had yet to try that worked like butter. Seriously, I had tried the adb shell instructions out there, the .xml file update method, and couple of others with zero success. And then I received this magic…
Instructions…
*Note 1* – If you don’t have Terminal Emulator, download it from the market.
1. Open Terminal Emulator and type in the follow commands:
su
mountsys
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
unmountsys
reboot
2. After your phone reboots, open the market and download Google Maps.
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again.
4. Done!
If this set of instructions still doesn’t work for you, please drop the name and version of the ROM you have in the comments. Maybe we can pinpoint which methods are working for different ROMs.
Questions?
Cheers again scrizzo!

Retribution

Reaction score
had the same problem as mustang, I got a failure error, but it still removed maps and I cant install maps from the market. I tried redoing it but I got no such file exists the second time

did you delete maps.apk before trying this?

If you mean physically deleted it by mounting my phone finding maps.apk and deleting it then no, that wasnt in the instructions you posted, if you mean followed your terminal instructions then yes I followed them to the letter.

Retribution

Reaction score
If this set of instructions still doesn’t work for you, please drop the name and version of the ROM you have in the comments. Maybe we can pinpoint which methods are working for different ROMs.
Questions?
Cheers again scrizzo!

I just restored from a backup, Im running kangerade v 1.0 blueberry

VitsDroid

Reaction score
Don't feel bad it is an ongoing issue with all the Froyo builds. Heck I have a Droid that was actually flashed with the Froyo SBF file and it will not update even so it is not just this ROM. i've also talked with multiple friends today who are all using different versions of Froyo and none can get it to install.

However with that said from what I'm told from another a buddy who works at Moto is there is nothing changed in version 4.3 that we don't already have in the 4.2 build that was part of Froyo. His suggestion was to disregard it and not worry about the 4.3 update.
That'd be good news IF I HADN'T DELTED GOOGLE MAPS in an attempt to get the update to take. Anyplace I can find it again?

Take a note and don't delete stuff, move to sd card instead just in case.

Having same issue with maps update.

Retribution

Reaction score
ok so I restored from a nandroid back up, tried again, got the failure message again failed to install again.....guess Ill just have to restore again

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
I just got the update to work doing it a tad different the Jrummy's instructions. Being I have Root Explorere I went in and jus trenamed Maps.apk to maps.apk.bak I then used terminal to su and mount /system/ Followed that by switching directories (cd system/bin) as he stated and then typed out the last line ( sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps ). Followed that by a reboot and went into Market and downlaoded Maps and it installed jus tfine.

MrC1122

Reaction score
I have the same problem that everyone else is having, only i can't get past mountsys - says not found. I tried deleting and renaming maps.apk to no avail. The good news is that I still have 4.2 and since there is not supose to be any real difference between the two and it works, I guess i'm just gonna have a coke and a smile and shut the f**k up!...lol. Good luck to one and all!

mjh68

Reaction score
I have the same problem that everyone else is having, only i can't get past mountsys - says not found. I tried deleting and renaming maps.apk to no avail. The good news is that I still have 4.2 and since there is not supose to be any real difference between the two and it works, I guess i'm just gonna have a coke and a smile and shut the f**k up!...lol. Good luck to one and all!

Did you try the alternate mounting instructions that someone posted ?
Think it was
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
then do the rest of the instructions.

Reserved Name

Reaction score
Ok, got it working. If you want the google maps update do this in terminal

su
sysrw
rm /system/app/Maps.apk
cd /system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
sysro

Then download the undated maps from the market and your good to go.

I can confirm this worked for me on BB 0.2.1

MrC1122

Reaction score
Did you try the alternate mounting instructions that someone posted ?
Think it was
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
then do the rest of the instructions.

no, i didn't...well not this in particular but i do believe it was something similar that i read on another post, it didn't work either. maybe i'll give this one a shot...thanx for the tip.

mustang90

Reaction score
I ended up reflashing my red kangerade, then followed the instructions and it worked for me. Not sure what the problem was the first time... Maps installed right away as well! Thanks!