Not getting Maps 4.4 to install but Maps.apk isn't installed

phx726

Reaction score
I searched through data/app and system/app and Maps.apk isn't installed anywhere. Is there another place google maps might be installed? I've checked doing a file listing on terminal and root explorer but I can't find it anywhere and I'm still getting an "Installation Unsuccessful." Any other reasons why it might not be working? com.google.android.apps.maps isn't anywhere in the file system as well. I've tried all the command line stuff too.

foxdog

Reaction score
that is strange, those are the only two places apps are, double check if its in the app drawer and if it is see if it will launch

OP
P

phx726

Reaction score
it's not in data/data and there isnt a Maps in the app drawer

OP
P

phx726

Reaction score
i deleted the cache in recovery and maps installed! yay :D

roreo

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem as you. I deleted the maps file from the data/data and also from system/app

i deleted the cache in recovery and maps installed! yay

What cache are you talking about?

OP
P

phx726

Reaction score
i booted up in clockwork recovery and wiped data/cache and cache partition

roreo

Reaction score
ok so i rebooted into recovery and did the wipe cache partition. the only wipe data/cache looked like the wipe data/factory reset. I didnt try it yet because that'll completely wipe everything right? Sorry I'm still learning when it comes to rooting.

OP
P

phx726

Reaction score
yeah it would so don't do it unless you're ready to

roreo

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help. If it comes down to it i'll just do a full wipe.

Serqet

Reaction score
Running the Nex-Tang version here, and it updated fine yesterday for me; but it replaced the custom icon for the app with the default when it updated. This was annoying enough to me that I reverted.

Is there a simple way to update the app and then change the icon back to the custom one?

vitomins

Reaction score
Still no luck here...

I also deleted Maps.apk everywhere on the phone and then wiped the cache in Recovery Mode, is my last resort to wipe the data?? I really do not want to do this, but I also really want Maps on my phone. :(

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Vitomins, not sure if this will help, but I followed it and got Maps 4.3 (and 4.4) to install without issue. I am running BB 0.4, in case it matters. These instructions were found on DroidLife a while ago.

To Allow Install of Maps follow these instructions:
1. In Terminal Emulator:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
busybox rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
cd ..
cd ..
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
sync

2. You can now attempt to install the Google Maps update.
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again. If it fails again, reboot and try.
4. Done!

The thread over on Droidlife is from somewhere around June 22nd, if you want to see it / read it. Again, not sure that this is what will fix your issue, but it worked great for me.

Hope it helps.

vitomins

Reaction score
Vitomins, not sure if this will help, but I followed it and got Maps 4.3 (and 4.4) to install without issue. I am running BB 0.4, in case it matters. These instructions were found on DroidLife a while ago.

To Allow Install of Maps follow these instructions:
1. In Terminal Emulator:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
busybox rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
cd ..
cd ..
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
sync

2. You can now attempt to install the Google Maps update.
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again. If it fails again, reboot and try.
4. Done!

The thread over on Droidlife is from somewhere around June 22nd, if you want to see it / read it. Again, not sure that this is what will fix your issue, but it worked great for me.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your suggestion!

When I type: busybox rm system/app/Maps.apk

It says: 'busybox: not found'

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe the BB ROM installs busybox with it, but I also believe if you purchase Titanium Backup (the paid version) it needs Busybox to work and installs a version of busybox with it.

What ROM are you running? Hopefully someone with more linux/tech skills is around and can help you with what you are encountering.

EDIT: My mistake, didn't even notice the thread was for LithiumMod. . . sorry about the density of my skull