Installation error?

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by dyrelogan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dyrelogan

dyrelogan New Member

I am getting installation error on several apps I have. I try redownloading and I get the same error: -18. Looked it up and can't find anything on it. Anyone know what is causing this? Can't install GOOGLE apps on a GOOGLE phone??? Google Sky Map, Google Earth, and several other non google apps. Really getting frustrating. And wouldn't you know it, right after the mini update all of a sudden I am having trouble with updating existing apps. Can't even uninstall them. The bar just shows the Apple "candy cane" busy bar and will not uninstall. Any suggestions?
  2. JRobzilla

JRobzilla New Member

Odd error, have you tried clearing the cache from the market app?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  3. dyrelogan

dyrelogan New Member

Tried that. Same error. Cache is cleared, but I get the same error. Saw this suggestion at another forum and the author said it also didn't help. Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it. Oh well, iPhone will be out next year for Verizon, guess I will have to suffer with this paperweight until then.
  4. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Try wiping data in market, not just cache.
  5. dyrelogan

dyrelogan New Member

Nope, that also didn't fix this error. Cache and data were cleared. App forced stopped so I can open it fresh. That still didn't help. I have no idea what to do here. There is nothing on error -18. Verizon will only tell me to wipe the phone and start anew, which is their fix for everything. "Oh you have a little dirt in the battery compartment? Wipe the phone, start with a clean installation." "Hmm, well, smudges can affect the phone, I think you should wipe the phone. That's what I would do." "Oh my, you misspelled one of your contacts names? I would definitely wipe the phone for that. Start new."
  6. Jake1991

Jake1991 New Member

Lol its funny because that's what they litterally do. But I would also suggest just calling Verizon and being like "I don't want reset my phone, any other suggestions?"

7. BodyBagz

BodyBagz Active Member

Before you get too torqued up...try downloading and installing/re-installing the "new" Market .apk....located here. I dont know that this will help, but I dont see where it could hurt. I would suggest renaming the old android.vending.apk to android.vending.bak...then installing the newer version...
  8. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

+1! And not ALL reps are like that thank you! :)

DroidForums junkie!!
  9. dyrelogan

dyrelogan New Member

Still getting the error. Stopped trying to update my apps at all and pretty much stopped using the phone period except for phone calls. Updating the apps does nothing. Really ticking me off. Calling Verizon for a new update tomorrow. Maybe I will just wait for the iPhone to come to Verizon. I have had zero issues with my iPad or iPod touch. So far Android has not lived up to any of its hype. Had the Eris, it sucked and now 2 Droid X's and will have to get yet another one most likely and this phone really sucks.
  10. dtsig

dtsig New Member

Have you done a refresh ..
  11. dyrelogan

dyrelogan New Member

I have done a complete restore of the phone. "Droid Doesn't"... in this case.
  12. dyrelogan

dyrelogan New Member

New Droid X... still won't install apps???

My last two posts about apps not installing have been removed, so I guess I will start a new one. I am still getting the error on my new phone just sent to me by Verizon. Apps STILL won't install. Instead of the -18 error, it just tells me that my apps have "Installation Unsuccessful" errors. Same apps and also different apps. Looks like I am definitely going be an iPhone user. Droid Doesn't.
  13. chkmate

chkmate New Member

Im sure that what ever Admin or Moderator that removed/moved your post did it for a good reason.

I can assure your problem CAN be resolved by either yourself or Verizon.

Did you go into settings/apps/manage applications/running applications? Then scroll down to Market, select it and clear data/cache.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\
  14. jchildress

jchildress New Member

There are a few apps that won't install normally for me either like angry birds. I did find a work around on the forums though. Clear your market cache as was suggested in the previous post, then go into settings > SD card > and unmount it. Install your app, then mount the card. You can then move the app to SD if available.

15. dyrelogan

dyrelogan New Member

So you both want me to clear my market cache on a brand new never before used phone with no market cache whatsoever? I don't understand the logic. What will removing zero cache do? I have never heard of that before. Removing zero to get zero will help my issue? And by the way, the issue has been escalated to Motorola, which escalated it to second tier support, so this issue seems to be more than Verizon can handle, or first tier Motorola support.
  16. LtKen

LtKen New Member

So someone offers you help, and you question it with no understanding of the system?

If you've used the app, it has cache -- if the cache is corrupt, then you'll have problems. In this case, the idea of zero anything doesnt make sense.

If that doesnt help, then take the phone into Verizon. SHOW a CSR that somethings wrong.
  17. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Nobody is deleting your posts. Please do not make anymore threads on this issue. Just use this one.
  18. chkmate

chkmate New Member

Yes I would take the advise given to me, new phone or not. It may work, it may not. But it takes all of 20 seconds to do. There is nothing to lose when clearing the cache and or data of the market.

And there are many issues above the heads of some Verizon support members. Some legit and not cause by device owners.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\
  19. dyrelogan

dyrelogan New Member

Ok, I thank you for the advice given to everyone, but I have to say that if I have never used an app, then it wouldn't create any cache. The only thing I have done is download the apps, getting all the apps I used to have, or at least trying to remember which ones I had, since Google sometimes remembers them and most of the time does not... in this case, another Droid Doesn't... I put in my Google address, and when to downloads like I usually do, not one app I installed in the past was in there. I appreciate all the suggestions, but they are just not working. I have deleted cache in the past concerning this issue and it has done nothing. Although it may work for you or for her or for them or whoever, it is not working for me. I will call Motorola tomorrow, and hopefully they will have some insight about their equipment. Verizon couldn't help, and Motorola first tier couldn't help, hopefully second tier will be able to help. If not, then I have no idea what to do next. I am sorry for my frustration in recent posts, but after three Droid X's and two Droid Eris' I have had enough.
  20. jchildress

jchildress New Member

Just by opening the market once it could create a cache. Did you try unmounting your SD card like I said in the second step of my post? That is the key to the solution.
    Also, since I moved to Liberty RoM, I no longer have to do this. Liberty is blurless, so I'm assuming something moto is the cause

Droid X, rooted, Liberty RoM 1.0