Cant do OTA update?

chaoy

Reaction score
Keep in mind while reading this, this is the very first Android device I've ever owned. I'm not completely familiar with rooting, roms, and mods yet so please bear with me.

So I hear that the latest update came out for the Droid 3 the end of September. I also heard that the upstate brought better battery life which is never a bad thing. (I'm on 5.5.959) So, I try to update it under settings>about phone> system update and it says "system update is not available without a Motorola service account. Would you like to set one up now?" I say yes and it loads and crashes every time. Reboot. Every time. So I looked around and I read that it could only have to do with the phone being rooted. I had rooted my phone using that one click thing since I figured it would help me get better battery, different home stuff, roms, etc... I don't know if this is the cause or how to fix it but if you could help me out that would be great.

Also, once ice cream sandwich comes out, I understand that you have to wait for Motorola to add the UI in top and what not, is there a way to run ice cream sandwich vanilla on the phone? Perhaps with a ROM?

Thanks for the help and sorry if things didn't all add up. First android phone, came from an iPhone 4 which was my first smartphone.