Last OTA?

jrredho

Reaction score
Thanks! I take it root is required for the steps you listed? I've thought about rooting, but don't know that I want to do it unless I can get better battery life along with the latest radios.

I was rooted, but I don't think that you need to be. Your phone's bootloader *is* required to be locked/relocked, though. And you will need to be familiar with things like adb/fastboot/etc.

Now, at the end of the whole process to the process of updating to the OTA ROM, your phone will be rooted since that's the way that ROM was shared. But you can stop after step 4 in my little summary and have only the latest HBOOT and radios. If you go that route, then obviously you won't have to download or transfer the ROM. :)

Good luck!

john

scott craft

Reaction score
I was rooted, but I don't think that you need to be. Your phone's bootloader *is* required to be locked/relocked, though. And you will need to be familiar with things like adb/fastboot/etc.

Now, at the end of the whole process to the process of updating to the OTA ROM, your phone will be rooted since that's the way that ROM was shared. But you can stop after step 4 in my little summary and have only the latest HBOOT and radios. If you go that route, then obviously you won't have to download or transfer the ROM. :)

Good luck!

john

Thanks, I'll read through it and see what I can do.

scott craft

Reaction score

Good luck!

john

There's a lot of things in there I'm not familiar with so I'm going to leave my phone as it is.

scott craft

Reaction score
That's cool. I just want to say, though, that for me this update went smoother than any others I've ever done. Including proper factory/VZW OTAs. It took something like 2hrs, including downloads. Of course YMMV!

So for the sake of completeness, here's how I went about it from the Global Leak. Two keys, I think, are to fastboot boot amon-ra everywhere it makes sense, and to have the stock recovery on your phone when you do any flashing.

(1) Go to the this thread in the XDA Developers Rezound Android Development forum and download the ROM zip.

(2) Go to this thread in the XDA Developers Rezound General forum, download the firmware (Post 35), and look at the process for S-On users on the Global Leak (Post 59).

(3) Some people who reported having problems had non-stock recoveries flashed on their phones. I extracted the stock, signed recovery from the Global Leak RUU zip file, and flashed this before I re-locked my phone. Oh, and I put the new ROM zip on my external SD card.

(4) After that, follow Post 59 above in (2) verbatim. I had zero problems after flashing the firmware using this process.

(5) Last step is to fastboot boot from amon-ra_v16 and flash the ROM zip. I didn't re-wipe between steps (4) and (5).

Good luck!

john

I did this to mine last night. I'll finish putting my apps back on tonight, but so far the signal strength seems better.

marioval

Reaction score
I am also on the global leak 4.03.605.2 so I guess I can't easily downgrade or upgrade so this is will be my version forever. No big deal for me, phone is solid. I do have episodes of being stuck in 3g but a jump in and out of airplane takes care of that and puts me back on 4g.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I am also on the global leak 4.03.605.2 so I guess I can't easily downgrade or upgrade so this is will be my version forever. No big deal for me, phone is solid. I do have episodes of being stuck in 3g but a jump in and out of airplane takes care of that and puts me back on 4g.
Going S-OFF is your best bet at this point... the official RUU for 4.5.605.14 will probably never be released, I know who got their hands on the previous ones that "leaked" on AP and they are not able to get the current one any longer.

Going S-OFF from a stock ROM, even the leak, is not difficult at all... I just did another Rezzy this last weekend and start to finish from bone stock to S-OFF with TWRP and CarbonROM installed was about an hour process. If you would like assistance in doing it let me know. I am seriously debating on building up a step-by-step guide for doing this, although finding the time to do it is the real issue, but I am sure I can assist you in doing it fairly easily. Once S-OFF is achieved, you just flash the radios in TWRP and then go into any ROM you wish.

scott craft

Reaction score

I did it because my reception on a previously solid phone was horrible. So far it seems better, but I'll know for sure when I get to work tomorrow. I hope it's fine so I can carry this phone instead of my 8X with the shattered screen.

jrredho

Reaction score
Going S-OFF is your best bet at this point... the official RUU for 4.5.605.14 will probably never be released, I know who got their hands on the previous ones that "leaked" on AP and they are not able to get the current one any longer.

Ya know, Ace, you keep saying this and I'd genuinely like to know why.

Aren't a large number of the current ROMs being developed on the latest firmware? If so, and you've elected to try one of those, isn't it a simple matter of booting your version, or really, the latest version of either of the common custom recoveries, and then re-installing the current OTA?

After all, there are some advantages to being S-ON; most notable is that it's darn near impossible to brick your phone in that mode.

Just wondering....

john

acejavelin

Reaction score
Ya know, Ace, you keep saying this and I'd genuinely like to know why.

Aren't a large number of the current ROMs being developed on the latest firmware? If so, and you've elected to try one of those, isn't it a simple matter of booting your version, or really, the latest version of either of the common custom recoveries, and then re-installing the current OTA?

After all, there are some advantages to being S-ON; most notable is that it's darn near impossible to brick your phone in that mode.

Just wondering....

john
The problem with being S-ON and having the 4.3.605.2 firmware is you darn near can't flash the current radios since there is no RUU for the 4.5.605.14 firmware. Being S-ON blocks being able to flash radio files. It is true that there are ways around it to flash the radios, but they never worked for me though. The radios in .2 are OK for most people, but some people have had issues with signal especially in JB 4.3 ROMs, which all designed around the last official radios.

Being S-ON allows you to flash any recovery and ROMs, but not radios or hboot... S-OFF disables all checks for security, and although it is more possible to brick your device being S-OFF, it also allows for easier flashing of ROMs (no need to flash boot.img seperately) and for easier recovery when things go really bad, when S-OFF you can safely RUU to ANY version of firmware from Gingerbread to Jellybean with no main version errors.

To me it is a horse-a-piece, but once I went S-OFF I can't see any real reason to stay S-ON, and every HTC device I have had previously I went S-OFF and never had an issue. Since Chad0898 cracked the original RIL and several devs bricked their phones in the hacking process, which scared a lot of people, there hasn't been any real incident of bricking due to being S-OFF that I can think of that wasn't caused by stupidity or lack of knowledge that was available if people just took the time to read and research just a bit.

Also, if you are S-ON and on 4.3.605.2, you cannot apply the current OTA.zip and you cannot downgrade to a version that you can flash it from, the OTA.zip files must be applied to specific versions of firmware like to get to 3.14.605.13 you must be on 3.14.605.12, so, no, you cannot just flash ROMs to specific versions like you mentioned.

Now, if you are already on 4.5.605.14, I don't see any real reason to S-OFF other than the convenience of being able to flash ROMs easier and to recovery in the event of an emergency, since there is no RUU for 4.5.605.14, although those reasons themselves may be enough to do it. The process is easier than people make it out to be.

Last edited:

jrredho

Reaction score
The problem with being S-ON and having the 4.3.605.2 firmware is you darn near can't flash the current radios since there is no RUU for the 4.5.605.14 firmware.

Hmmm. I find that tremendously interesting. I outlined exactly how to do that in this thread! (By referencing the stellar work of others.) I guess I don't understand this complaint. I went from the .2 to .14 OTA firmware with zero problems.

Being S-ON allows you to flash any recovery and ROMs, but not radios or hboot... S-OFF disables all checks for security, and although it is more possible to brick your device being S-OFF, it also allows for easier flashing of ROMs (no need to flash boot.img seperately) and for easier recovery when things go really bad, when S-OFF you can safely RUU to ANY version of firmware from Gingerbread to Jellybean with no main version errors.

Again, I still don't see your point with regard to upgrading radio and hboot firmware. It is true that you cannot go backwards. The point about making it being easier to flash (compatible) ROMs is also not correct; you just have to fastboot boot your custom recovery, then flash the ROM zip from recovery just like you would if you were S-OFF. There is no need to do a separate boot.img flash in that case. The biggest reason for needing the RUUs, which as you note are backwards as far as hboot is concerned from .14, is if you get in trouble because you're S-OFF!

there hasn't been any real incident of bricking due to being S-OFF that I can think of that wasn't caused by stupidity or lack of knowledge that was available if people just took the time to read and research just a bit.

This forum is rife with people who didn't do just that! (Me included from time to time.) I think that convincing folks to go S-OFF, perhaps without a full understanding of what the risks are, is not the best route to travel. Just one more opinion to throw in the mix, I guess.

Now, if you are already on 4.5.605.14, I don't see any real reason to S-OFF other than the convenience of being able to flash ROMs easier and to recovery in the event of an emergency, since there is no RUU for 4.5.605.14, although those reasons themselves may be enough to do it. The process is easier than people make it out to be.

I don't doubt that the process isn't that difficult, but again, since the recovery thing is moot, why would someone ever need an RUU if they're not screwing around in S-OFF mode? They cannot mess up their firmware.

Anyway, thanks for giving me your perspective.

cheers,
john

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hmmm. I find that tremendously interesting. I outlined exactly how to do that in this thread! (By referencing the stellar work of others.) I guess I don't understand this complaint. I went from the .2 to .14 OTA firmware with zero problems.

Again, I still don't see your point with regard to upgrading radio and hboot firmware. It is true that you cannot go backwards. The point about making it being easier to flash (compatible) ROMs is also not correct; you just have to fastboot boot your custom recovery, then flash the ROM zip from recovery just like you would if you were S-OFF. There is no need to do a separate boot.img flash in that case. The biggest reason for needing the RUUs, which as you note are backwards as far as hboot is concerned from .14, is if you get in trouble because you're S-OFF!

This forum is rife with people who didn't do just that! (Me included from time to time.) I think that convincing folks to go S-OFF, perhaps without a full understanding of what the risks are, is not the best route to travel. Just one more opinion to throw in the mix, I guess.

I don't doubt that the process isn't that difficult, but again, since the recovery thing is moot, why would someone ever need an RUU if they're not screwing around in S-OFF mode? They cannot mess up their firmware.

Anyway, thanks for giving me your perspective.

cheers,
john
Fair enough jrredho, I'll concede on some of these points... I don't always recommend S-OFF, but having 4 HTC devices that have all been S-Off and never having an issue I feel it is appropriate in some situations though. Indeed S-OFF is not to be taken lightly though, stupid mistakes can brick your phone.

I think we just need to agree that we disagree on this one. :)

marioval

Reaction score

Going S-OFF from a stock ROM, even the leak, is not difficult at all... I just did another Rezzy this last weekend and start to finish from bone stock to S-OFF with TWRP and CarbonROM installed was about an hour process. If you would like assistance in doing it let me know. I am seriously debating on building up a step-by-step guide for doing this, although finding the time to do it is the real issue, but I am sure I can assist you in doing it fairly easily. Once S-OFF is achieved, you just flash the radios in TWRP and then go into any ROM you wish.

I appreciate the offer but I think I will just keep the phone as-is for now. I'm probably not going to have it for much longer anyway.