Last OTA?

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by ErcDaMerc, Jun 7, 2013.

1. scott craft

scott craft Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    This is what I ended up flashing on my phone, but I haven't really noticed much difference from the previous leak I was running.

2. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    That is the so-called "Global Leak." The radios and HBOOT are older that what is in the current OTA updated version.

The only way to update to the current OTA from the Global Leak, should you want to do it for some reason, is to use the method I outlined above for you (that I cribbed from others who you'll discover in the links I provided).

Good luck!

john

3. scott craft

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks! I take it root is required for the steps you listed? I've thought about rooting, but don't know that I want to do it unless I can get better battery life along with the latest radios.

4. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I was rooted, but I don't think that you need to be. Your phone's bootloader *is* required to be locked/relocked, though. And you will need to be familiar with things like adb/fastboot/etc.

Now, at the end of the whole process to the process of updating to the OTA ROM, your phone will be rooted since that's the way that ROM was shared. But you can stop after step 4 in my little summary and have only the latest HBOOT and radios. If you go that route, then obviously you won't have to download or transfer the ROM. :)

Good luck!

john

5. scott craft

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks, I'll read through it and see what I can do.

6. scott craft

Ratings:
    +8
    There's a lot of things in there I'm not familiar with so I'm going to leave my phone as it is.

7. scott craft

Ratings:
    +8
    I did this to mine last night. I'll finish putting my apps back on tonight, but so far the signal strength seems better.

8. marioval

marioval Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I am also on the global leak 4.03.605.2 so I guess I can't easily downgrade or upgrade so this is will be my version forever. No big deal for me, phone is solid. I do have episodes of being stuck in 3g but a jump in and out of airplane takes care of that and puts me back on 4g.

9. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Going S-OFF is your best bet at this point... the official RUU for 4.5.605.14 will probably never be released, I know who got their hands on the previous ones that "leaked" on AP and they are not able to get the current one any longer.

Going S-OFF from a stock ROM, even the leak, is not difficult at all... I just did another Rezzy this last weekend and start to finish from bone stock to S-OFF with TWRP and CarbonROM installed was about an hour process. If you would like assistance in doing it let me know. I am seriously debating on building up a step-by-step guide for doing this, although finding the time to do it is the real issue, but I am sure I can assist you in doing it fairly easily. Once S-OFF is achieved, you just flash the radios in TWRP and then go into any ROM you wish.

10. scott craft

Ratings:
    +8
    I did it because my reception on a previously solid phone was horrible. So far it seems better, but I'll know for sure when I get to work tomorrow. I hope it's fine so I can carry this phone instead of my 8X with the shattered screen.

11. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ya know, Ace, you keep saying this and I'd genuinely like to know why.

Aren't a large number of the current ROMs being developed on the latest firmware? If so, and you've elected to try one of those, isn't it a simple matter of booting your version, or really, the latest version of either of the common custom recoveries, and then re-installing the current OTA?

After all, there are some advantages to being S-ON; most notable is that it's darn near impossible to brick your phone in that mode.

Just wondering....

john

12. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Ratings:
    +10
    The problem with being S-ON and having the 4.3.605.2 firmware is you darn near can't flash the current radios since there is no RUU for the 4.5.605.14 firmware. Being S-ON blocks being able to flash radio files. It is true that there are ways around it to flash the radios, but they never worked for me though. The radios in .2 are OK for most people, but some people have had issues with signal especially in JB 4.3 ROMs, which all designed around the last official radios.

Being S-ON allows you to flash any recovery and ROMs, but not radios or hboot... S-OFF disables all checks for security, and although it is more possible to brick your device being S-OFF, it also allows for easier flashing of ROMs (no need to flash boot.img seperately) and for easier recovery when things go really bad, when S-OFF you can safely RUU to ANY version of firmware from Gingerbread to Jellybean with no main version errors.

To me it is a horse-a-piece, but once I went S-OFF I can't see any real reason to stay S-ON, and every HTC device I have had previously I went S-OFF and never had an issue. Since Chad0898 cracked the original RIL and several devs bricked their phones in the hacking process, which scared a lot of people, there hasn't been any real incident of bricking due to being S-OFF that I can think of that wasn't caused by stupidity or lack of knowledge that was available if people just took the time to read and research just a bit.

Also, if you are S-ON and on 4.3.605.2, you cannot apply the current OTA.zip and you cannot downgrade to a version that you can flash it from, the OTA.zip files must be applied to specific versions of firmware like to get to 3.14.605.13 you must be on 3.14.605.12, so, no, you cannot just flash ROMs to specific versions like you mentioned.

Now, if you are already on 4.5.605.14, I don't see any real reason to S-OFF other than the convenience of being able to flash ROMs easier and to recovery in the event of an emergency, since there is no RUU for 4.5.605.14, although those reasons themselves may be enough to do it. The process is easier than people make it out to be.

#24 acejavelin, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
Search tags for this page

htc rezound ota

htc rezound ota download

htc rezound ota update
htc rezound ruu

htc rezound ruu download

latest rezound radios

rezound latest ruu

rezound ruu

rezound ruu 2013