Droid RAZR to Get Ice Cream Sandwich Via OTA Update Early in 2012

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
razr-sg-ics-next-year.jpg

Motorola has confirmed that the Droid RAZR will get some tasty Ice Cream Sandwich love. The update will go out OTA, and although no specifics were given, they indicated that the RAZR would get the update early next year. That makes things a bit more interesting doesn't it?

Source: SlashGear

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Please. I had a Droid X it took Moto 9 months to finish injecting their bloat into GB for distribution. The Razr won't see ICS until after the next round of future phones are released at the end of next Spring, and that's at the EARLIEST! My guess is that it'll take as long as it always does--the end of next summer. When I said I wasn't buying another Moto device I was serious. Until they stop adding their UI and locking their devices I'm NEVER buying their stuff. I won't bother taking a look at them until Google starts rolling out Moto devices. Love their build quality, but not enough to go back.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would normally agree, but I think Motorola has to be sweating after watching the Samsung event last night. I bet they are hard at work getting ICS on the RAZR.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
As I was saying on another thread, I still don't understand how this is going to work with the capacitive buttons unless they're just going to tweak the OS on a case by case basis. Either way I don't think it will look as cool as the phones which only have maybe a power button and volume rocker.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
From what I gather... If the phone has buttons then the onscreen buttons are hidden and deactivated, and then the physical buttons on your device assume their usual roles.

I'll be absolutely SHOCKED if OEMs roll out either:

1) vanilla ICS for currently skinned (i.e. SenseUI, Blur) GB devices or
2) ICS (with their mandatory bloat) in under 6 months on >30% of all devices released within the past year.

When will the average Joe see ICS on his/her device? History says it'll be hit or miss and don't count on it any time soon.

Sorry to be so negative, but after what I experienced on my DX and TB there is NO WAY I'm giving the manufacturers the benefit of the doubt.

Tank_Tak

Reaction score
I reported this first, lol. but in another thread
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...e-cream-sandwich-launched-11.html#post1796027

regardless if this does happen it really leaves a lot of people wondering which device to get as it really comes down to how each phone can handle the software. At least for me it does, I was set on the nexus then this phone and back and forth. Gonna have to play with each one to truly decide, or wait for my actual upgrade instead of using my early upgrade. same thing different smell

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be so negative, but after what I experienced on my DX and TB there is NO WAY I'm giving the manufacturers the benefit of the doubt.
i have exact same experience as you. i had dx since launch prior to having thunderbolt and agree 100%. main reason why i'm considering galaxy nexus for my future phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would normally agree, but I think Motorola has to be sweating after watching the Samsung event last night. I bet they are hard at work getting ICS on the RAZR.

Honestly, I am impressed by the Razr, but there really is no point after watching the Nexus announcement

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

spillner

Reaction score
My only hope is that the Rzr isn't the only Moto phone to get ICS. As a D3 owner I would never buy another Moto product if the 3rd generation of the original flagship android phone was passed over.