1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Cannot Install/Update ANY App! Help

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by rmart88, Jan 6, 2011.

1. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

So lately, most notably today, i have not been able to install or update any app successfully. I noticed when i tried to update 'Wireless Tether'. It gave me an error message in the notification bar that, when clicked on, gives a pop up window that says "Installation error" followed by "Unknown reason-18" and only gives me an "OK" button.

This happens when i try to update an existing app, or install a new app. i have tried many times with many different apps. I tried rebooting the phone. I tried a Battery Pull (about 60 seconds). Neither worked.

I have a rooted D1 running ChevyNo1's SS4.8 ROM (and have been for a long time, so i doubt the problem is within the ROM itself).

Any one know what is going on?? I would like to be able to update my apps :icon_evil:
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Go to you settings/apps/manage apps/all apps. Locate the Market and clean both the cache and the data. That should clear it up for you.
  3. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

That didnt fix it :/ It didnt allow me to clear the cache, there was non. Clearing the Data didnt solve it. Thanks though.

I also thought to try updating/installing over 3G, not WiFi... this didnt help either.
  4. steveil

steveil New Member

I have the same exact problem. Cleared cache and data but install still unsuccessful. Any other ideas (rooted droid 1)
  5. LT*

LT* New Member

I had this issue a while back. Look on you SD card in the android.secure folder. That's where your apps to SD are stored. In my case, I had duplicates of my apps in there designated with a 1 and 2. I manually deleted all the duplicates (2's) rebooted, and it cleared up. Still not entirely sure how they got duplicated, but I believe it was Titanium that did it. I have my install location set to external, so that may have done it during one of my ROM flashes.
  6. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

When I go to my .andriod_secure folder (dont have an android.secure) via Astro it just says 'Directory Empty'....
  7. LT*

LT* New Member

You need to view it from your computer. I can't find it with Astro or even root explorer( can see the folder, just not the contents). Mount your card to your pc and view from there.
  8. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

I tried that too. I cant see folders that start with a "." such as .android_secure. I am using a Mac, would that effect it?
  9. LT*

LT* New Member

Don't know, but I suspect it may. I can see mine, but I'm running XP.
  10. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

that worked! thanks! only issue is, i had to go through and reinstall a majority of my apps. But at least i was able to!! thanks again :icon_ banana:
  11. mszv

mszv New Member

Thanks I'll check this out.

My apps will update, except the ones stored on the SD card. I have to move them to the phone, remove the SD card, update them, put the SD card in, and move them back to the SD card. I'll check out the SD card for duplicates.
  12. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

13. rmart88

rmart88 New Member

that seemed to work for some people, but in my case, i couldnt even install new apps. it wasnt just an issue with updating. Thanks Though!
  14. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

No problem... I was having the exact same issue with the updates, but I haven't installed any new apps in quite a while. I just went to AppBrain and picked any old app and it installed just fine. :)
  15. a_bug

a_bug New Member

LT*;

Thank You so much,

I was having this problem and it was driving me nuts. I wiped the phone several times to no avail. Of course when I tried mounting my SD card on my computer it wasn't working. i had to pull the card out and mount it via a card reader.

I deleted those files and viola. . . working Droid again.

Thanks again,

A (very grateful) Bug:)
  16. bjof45

bjof45 New Member

I have this same problem on my Droid1 running Simply Stunning 4.96, I even tried the trick of going into .android_secure and deleted all the 2's and I still can't update or download any new apps..help?
Search tags for this page

android cannot install app

android cannot install update in sd
android secure folder
can not install any updates for two months
cannot install or update galaxy s3 apps
how to install .android secure