Can you STOP the phone from automatically fetching email?

SJC_2004

Reaction score
I had an iPhone and I was able to put all my email into a manual pull state. This saved my battery so much so that I did not need to charge it every day. Now this Nexus is looking at low battery by the end of the work day. I have seen an app that manages battery life by turning off wifi and other radio's, but shouldn't the android (esp Ice Cream Sandwich) support this natively?

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
There should be a setting for the phone to only sync over wifi, I can't recall where its at atm. But I know it has that option.

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had an iPhone and I was able to put all my email into a manual pull state. This saved my battery so much so that I did not need to charge it every day. Now this Nexus is looking at low battery by the end of the work day. I have seen an app that manages battery life by turning off wifi and other radio's, but shouldn't the android (esp Ice Cream Sandwich) support this natively?

I now use the Gmail app for all my email accounts. You can setup Gmail to poll your pop3 accounts and then immediately push the emails to your Gmail app on the phone. The accounts will be polled based on their email activity. The more emails received, the more frequently the account will be polled. It seems to me that the frequency is about 1 minute for accounts receiving a lot of emails and up to, but not more than (as it seems to me) 5 minutes. This is based on two of my accounts. One of which gets 50-100 emails a day and I get those within a minute or two of receipt. The other only gets 1 or 2 emails a day and I get those at about 15-30 minutes.

You can set this up by going to your Gmail inbox on the Google website. In the upper right corner is a link titled “Settings”. Select it and then you add your pop3 accounts info. It will then be polled and sent to your phone along with any gmails you receive. The Gmail app will list the emails designating which account they are from.

The main advantage of this is that it saves battery power as the phone is no longer polling the pop3 accounts on a timed basis. It is only active when emails are pushed to it.

Using Gmail as your own personal push mail server

Good luck

Newps

Reaction score
On the power control widget simply turn the sync off when you don't want email and back on when you do. It's no different in ICS than when I had my OG Droid.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I haven't used the stock email app on Android for about two years now. I know this feature was available back when I used the stock app, but really have no idea now. I would be shocked if it isn't available. But, if it isn't, then I would suggest switching to the K-9 email app. I know it is much more full featured than the stock app on which it is based.

Good luck.