Can someone explain the car dock to me?

canudgit

Reaction score
So is there any audio coming out of the phone speaker or is it just through the aux cord?

ConqSoft

Reaction score
If an audio cable is plugged into it the cable the phone speaker is silent; unplugged, it works.

canudgit

Reaction score
If an audio cable is plugged into it the cable the phone speaker is silent; unplugged, it works.

Well then i must have a defective phone or dock because my speaker never works on the dock. Any ideas what it might be?

canudgit

Reaction score
Turns out the car dock was defective.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
Very cool....thanks! It's funny because Motorola told me no such item existed. I'll be making the same exchange.

cyberstraz

Reaction score
Got my "official" Motorola Car Dock kit today. SO MUCH nicer than the Verizon one that I will be returning.

Did the cable in question (or does the manual) list a part # on a sticker or label of some sort? Looking to see if I could get that cable for cheap/standalone.

Calla969

Reaction score
This is the part number on my Moto receipt SKN5004A.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mzterina

Reaction score
Bionic Car Dock: Trades USB data for Integrated Audio?

In using the Bionic "Vehicle Navigation Dock" sourced from Verizon Wireless (MOTBIOMNT), I'm frustrated to find that Motorola engineers apparently sacrificed USB data transfer functionality for an incomplete analog audio "integration". They then failed to provide the custom Y-cable needed to eliminate the separate 3.5mm audio jumper as the design intended! Come on Motorola! Come on Verizon! What were you thinking? (What's up Dock?)
-
On the back of the dock is a micro-USB-B female connector to which users must connect their own USB cable. The Y-cable referenced in the instruction manual is NOT included in the Verizon MOTBIOMNT kit contents. Only a stereo audio jumper (3.5mm) is provided with Verizon's kit. The custom cable is apparently available as an "Online Bonus" when purchased directly from Motorola here: http://www.store.motorola.com/Vehicle-Navigation-DROID-Bionic-trade/dp/B005C31G1W?ie=UTF8&id=Vehicle Navigation DROID Bionic trade
-
To add insult, Motorola has interrupted USB data passthru on the dock. Power will pass, but data will not. This means if you were planning to perform laptop-related functions in your car, such as USB tethering or SD card mounting, you won't be doing that with this Motorola Vehicle Dock! Note that USB connections are easily done using all prior D1 or DX dock systems. Why Motorola chose to change strategy isn't clear to me.
-
Of course, the OEM dock physically holds the Bionic with tight precision we've come to expect from products bearing Motorola's logo (and extortionate price.) Dock solutions from 3rd-parties seldom fit as smoothly. But unlike past Droids, like the D1 and DX that could be easily triggered into dock mode with a simple magnet, the Bionic instead looks for custom connector pinning (or circuitry?) from the dock itself. This means that you won't get your Bionic to gracefully adopt landscape/dock display in a 3rd-party cradle without some makeshift circuit or additional software/widget. These never work quite as well as OEM solutions in my experience. I'm hoping that someone can recommend an alternate Bionic vehicle dock that DOES support USB data connectivity.
-
You can see the MOTBIOMNT custom Y-cable referenced on page 3 here:
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Mobile Phones/Droid_Bionic/Documents/StaticFiles/Droid-Bionic_vehicle-Navigation-Dock_EN_ES_GSG_68016045001B.pdf
-
And you can see the Bionic Vehicle Dock internal layout and circuitry here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46634958@N07/6144253980/in/set-72157627546904495/

Last edited:

cyberstraz

Reaction score
This is the part number on my Moto receipt SKN5004A.

That seems to be the part # for the basic USB to Micro USB cable. Hrm. That's the # you got off the unique cable?

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
The "Y" cable is ordered from Verizon. It is an additional $19 and the SKU# is MICAUXCAB. You will need to order it because they come straight from the warehouse, 30 minutes on the phone between moto and verizon......your welcome:icon_ banana:

Calla969

Reaction score
That seems to be the part # for the basic USB to Micro USB cable. Hrm. That's the # you got off the unique cable?

I really hope they didn't screw up. The person on the chat said she was sending me the "custom audio and power usb cable". I'll be pretty annoyed if i just get another micro usb.

kurumatt

Reaction score
The "Y" cable is ordered from Verizon. It is an additional $19 and the SKU# is MICAUXCAB. You will need to order it because they come straight from the warehouse, 30 minutes on the phone between moto and verizon......your welcome:icon_ banana:

So for the same price you get the cable and dock minus the charger? (40+19) Doesnt seem to be worth it to buy it from vzw and better just to get it offline. I too will be returning my vzw dock and getting the one directly from motorolla. It will definitely elongate the life of the audio jack on my phone if I don't have to keep plugging/unplugging it every time I get in my car. (The one on my droid went bad and I couldn't listen to music anymore, a reason I upgraded to bionic)

ConqSoft

Reaction score
So for the same price you get the cable and dock minus the charger? (40+19) Doesnt seem to be worth it to buy it from vzw and better just to get it offline. I too will be returning my vzw dock and getting the one directly from motorolla. It will definitely elongate the life of the audio jack on my phone if I don't have to keep plugging/unplugging it every time I get in my car. (The one on my droid went bad and I couldn't listen to music anymore, a reason I upgraded to bionic)

Exactly. The Moto one is a better deal overall.

les017

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info here!! Considered buying the VZW cable but the economics didn't make sense, especially with the dual port fast charger from Mot. Returned the VZW and ordered Motorola.