Can someone explain the car dock to me?

BarryD

Reaction score
To all who've tried the Moto split power,aux cable, does the AUX cable pall all audio functions, or only SD functions as is the case in a USB mount?

Can you confirm that phone calls, navigation, and Pandora audio are also passed to the AUX cable and heard over the car's speakers?

Funky145

Reaction score
Thanks for the information pointing out the difference between Verizon and Motorola's docks. I ordered the Moto dock this morning and I'm returning the Vzn dock.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
Maybe I misinterpreted something I saw about Motorola's ESP technology in their docks, but with the circuitry in the dock being the means of detecting the dock, is there any indication that (or has anyone tried to see if) the phone can uniquely identify a dock, and know the difference between one car dock and another car dock? If so, this would be very useful to me, with multiple vehicles. Or maybe is it that they just needed more than a magnet could do, and tell the difference between a car dock, standard dock, HD dock, and lapdock?

wizard

Reaction score
I use HD dock, lapdock, and car dock. The bionic can tell each one is different

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Barry121

Reaction score
Here's my input on the missing parts from the Verizon bought car dock:

I called Motorola customer service and whined and complained to them that I was missing the special USB cable and the car charger and the girl said she would look into it and call me back the next day.

The next day she called back and said that ALL the car docks sold through Verizon did not come with those two parts. They did this ON PURPOSE!! She didn't explain why.

However, because I had been inconvenienced and was unhappy, they would go ahead and send me the missing parts free of charge, FedEX overnight.

They got here this morning. Yes, they are the correct USB cable with the 3.5mm audio jack and the two port rapid car charger.

All it took was some time showing Motorola that I was pissed off... :p

kurumatt

Reaction score
Here's my input on the missing parts from the Verizon bought car dock:

I called Motorola customer service and whined and complained to them that I was missing the special USB cable and the car charger and the girl said she would look into it and call me back the next day.

The next day she called back and said that ALL the car docks sold through Verizon did not come with those two parts. They did this ON PURPOSE!! She didn't explain why.

However, because I had been inconvenienced and was unhappy, they would go ahead and send me the missing parts free of charge, FedEX overnight.

They got here this morning. Yes, they are the correct USB cable with the 3.5mm audio jack and the two port rapid car charger.

All it took was some time showing Motorola that I was pissed off... :p

You have a phone number? i am also quite angry with with situation and I feel i also need reparations.

Barry121

Reaction score
You have a phone number? i am also quite angry with with situation and I feel i also need reparations.

The number I called was the support number from page 5 in the car dock manuel: 1-800-734-5870

I explained the problem to the person that answered and she said it wasn't a technical support problem, but a customer care problem and transferred me there.

The customer care girl was the one who said she would look into it and get back to me the next day. When she called me back, the number that showed up on my caller ID was: 801-257-6155.

Hope this helps.

Calla969

Reaction score
I really hope they didn't screw up. The person on the chat said she was sending me the "custom audio and power usb cable". I'll be pretty annoyed if i just get another micro usb.

Well, they sent me the regular USB cable. Now I have another to add to the collection. So I went by my local corporate Verizon store and spoke to a manager about it to see if they could do anything for me. I explained to him that is was a better value for me to just return the dock to the store and order another from Motorola since it is $20 more and includes the cable and rapid charger while they are charging $20 for the cable alone. The manager agreed to sell me that cable for half price. I got the cable for $10.60 total, shipped. When I got home, I got back on the chat line with Motorola and explained what happened. The person on the chat promptly apologized and agreed to send the correct cable free of charge. I should receive the one from Verizon in 2 days and the one from Motorola within 5 days. If I actually receive 2 of the correct cables, I would be willing to sell one to recover my $10.60 since I will have no use for 2 of them. But I would really suggest that everyone either call or chat with Motorola and/or Verizon and try to get them to send you one since they should not have set it up this way in the first place.

kurumatt

Reaction score
I just called customer service they basically told me I'm out of luck. To return it to verizon and that they should supply it.

redwood

Reaction score
yeah I didn't have any luck getting them to comp me a cable either, but registered my dissatisfaction and ponied up for the frickin thing anyway

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Ah, now I understand. Audio out the micro-usb - nice. But then I'll need to find a good usb-car power adapter. All the ones I tried before with my Droid1 couldn't keep up. I'd still get a slight power drain with music+nav+screen on, and I bet the Bionic is even more power hungry. Right now I'm using a straight car-micro usb charger, with no regular USB.

Edit: wrong item

my zag dual usb charger keeps up with my bionic wonderfully.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Calla969

Reaction score
I installed a pair of 2 amp 5 volt usb charging ports in my car. Found the hardware on ebay. I think it's made by DAQ Stuff. Now i have the 12v power outlet free for other things and the usb charging ports more conveniently located. The standard chargers are only 1 amp so this keeps up a lot better.

redwood

Reaction score
I installed a pair of 2 amp 5 volt usb charging ports in my car. Found the hardware on ebay. I think it's made by DAQ Stuff. Now i have the 12v power outlet free for other things and the usb charging ports more conveniently located. The standard chargers are only 1 amp so this keeps up a lot better.

brilliant, and thanks for the link, will be ordering forthwith

Calla969

Reaction score
brilliant, and thanks for the link, will be ordering forthwith

It's really nice hardware. It has 2 USB outlets, 5v 2amps each, plus another spot to hardwire a 5v 2 amp connection. The power is fuse protected on the input and output side. The USB power is totally isolated from the car power to protect your device from power spikes and noise. It's also really easy to install and affordable to boot. I used some panel mounted USB connectors made by L-Com. I added a panel mounted 3.5mm aux in right next to the USB for a very clean install.