Can someone explain the car dock to me?

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Accessories' started by pudah, Sep 9, 2011.

1. feivel

feivel New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You don't even need HDMI! The "Standard Dock" which I got with the Costco deal has only a USB port in it, but on the back there is a headphone jack and audio pops out just fine. I tested it already. So the car dock has all the needed connectivity on the phone side, but for some reason they didn't simply put a jack on the back of the car mount. They could have used the same circuitry from the dock!

Oh well, please keep up the good hunt for the cable, and please post if you find one. Thanks!

2. ConqSoft

ConqSoft Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    The usb connector shown in the manual would offer the same functionality it looks like, since it splits off to an audio jack. We just need to see if that's available anywhere.

3. Mateles

Mateles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, now I understand. Audio out the micro-usb - nice. But then I'll need to find a good usb-car power adapter. All the ones I tried before with my Droid1 couldn't keep up. I'd still get a slight power drain with music+nav+screen on, and I bet the Bionic is even more power hungry. Right now I'm using a straight car-micro usb charger, with no regular USB.

Edit: wrong item

#15 Mateles, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. zodder

zodder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank god for bluetooth head units :)

5. hiroprotagonist

hiroprotagonist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately for simplicity's sake, the usb out won't be able to power a stereo minijack output because usb is fully digital. The dock would require some sort of processing to convert analog audio out from the usb connector. The cable mentioned in the manual is a strange bird, because honestly I don't think something like that exists - not without a chip to convert the audio. Unless the Bionic has a non-standard usb jack with additional analog audio channels built in, which again is something I've never heard of.

6. PhontomF

PhontomF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know is it possible to use the phone in portrait mode when in the car dock? Mine stays in landscape even when I turn the phone portrait.

7. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not sure if this will get you what you want, but I was just experimenting with the car dock and found that if I have the (Motorola) car charger plugged into the dock, but not plugged into a power source, the phone does not recognize that it's in the dock, allowing it to change to portrait mode when oriented that way. Plugging into a power source after inserting the phone might still allow it to stay in portrait mode. I can try this tomorrow, but right now I don't want to interrupt the discharge cycle of my battery.

Strangely, inserting the phone with the charger disconnected from the dock allows the phone to sense the dock, and subsequently connecting the charger to the dock (but not a power source) causes the blue ring on the charger to glow, indicating that it's actually drawing power FROM the phone.

8. PhontomF

PhontomF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I'll give that a shot but I'm betting it will kick into car mode as soon as you plug in the power

9. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I tried it a few minutes ago and placing the phone in the dock while having the charger plugged into the dock but not a power source, then plugging the charger into a power source after the phone is in the dock, DOES NOT trigger dock mode, nor does it force landscape orientation. This may be a temporary work around for some people until Motorola fixes this (assuming they consider it a problem in the first place).

10. PhontomF

PhontomF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome I will try it out later, Thanks!

11. Calla969

Calla969 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The car docks for the Droid3, the Atrix, and probably the Photon and any other similar Moto phones do allow charging and audio from a single USB cable. This was the feature that I was most excited about because I hate having to plug things in instead of just dropping it into a dock. My dock didn't come with the correct cable, but apparently if you order it from Motorola instead of through Verizon, it costs $60 instead of $40 and it comes with a rapid car charger and the "Custom Audio and Power USB Cable". I was disappointed when my dock was missing this cable, so I got on an online tech support chat with Motorola. After a while, the tech offered to send the custom cable to me at no charge. I am pretty excited that it will work the way I thought it would. I will report back when I receive it.

12. Mateles

Mateles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's very promising. I did an online chat with a tech support guy twice on Saturday (same guy both times) and he said there was nothing they could do. He kept telling me that it should have been in the case, and I had the Verizon store on the line and they said none of their boxes had the right cable, plus it just says the 3.5mm cable on the side of the box.

Search tags for this page
custom audio and power usb cable for vehicle docks
droid 4 vehicle dock manual

droid bionic car dock

droid micauxcab
explain cardock
explain s4 dock mode
hot battery
motorola bionic car dock
motorola droid razr maxx hd car dock split usb aux y cable
single cable with audio and power 5-foot