Calling all tetherers!

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by jimmyco2008, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I would've been kicked off a long time ago...I started using the official Mobile Hotspot app, works just fine for over 2 hours now.

Now it looks as though maybe the data connection is iffy for the first few days of activation?

People who have this problem, did you just get the phone or a new SIM card?

2. jseah

jseah Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I don't use tethering much, but I have had my 'Bolt since March, and am using the same SIM card that I got when I got the 'Bolt. The iffy data connection started for me right about the time I installed the latest update. Prior to that, the 4G data would drop out occasionally at work (where the 4G signal, as well as 3G, regularly drops when I am indoors) but the handoff to 3G (or 1x) would be near instantaneous or in just a few seconds. It would never drop when I was outdoors though, although now with the update it does.

I notice the dropping and losing data the most when I am travelling in my car, and the data dropping is most prevalent when I am driving from a 3G area to a 4G area, and even sometimes within a 3G area when I switch from one tower to another. Maybe it just might be network issues with the towers not handing off properly?

3. jimmyco2008

Ratings:
    +1
    It could be a handoff issue I suppose. The new 4G network uses that eHRPD system for handoff from 3G to 4G, and some websites report that it is still unstable and has caused the problem in question for many users. Though changing the Rev. A mode in EPST from eHRPD to "Enabled" did nothing to fix the problem at least for me.

However, contrary to what that Verizon rep said the other day, I am starting to doubt that there is a filter actively kicking off illegitimate tetherers. After tethering flawlessly for about 12 hours straight yesterday and early today, it seems rather obvious that a filter doesn't exist.

And yet, you started having the problem shortly after the July OTA that ended the free Hotspot promo... I don't know what to think.

I'll email Verizon and see if another rep knows of this filter, perhaps some of you out there reading this can as well, we can compare "answers" and perhaps decide once and for all if this filter is as mythical as bigfoot or not.

EDIT: That figures... apparently they don't let you send emails anymore..At least for now. Well give 'em a call if you like, the more answers the better!

#27 jimmyco2008, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. jimmyco2008

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay I've learned more... Internet continues to work for iTunes, online gaming and the like, but browser losing connection... Now to test for consistency, does it lose connection at the same time every time, etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

#28 jimmyco2008, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. jimmyco2008

Ratings:
    +1
    In EPST, if (under Data Parameters) Package String is #777 (I forget if this is default, but it is what it should be, at least on 3G only phones) then I get data on my phone just fine, but when I turn on Mobile Hotspot, I lose a connection (3G icon still present). If the Package String field is blank (I think that's the default) then I can use smartphone data and Mobile Hotspot just fine...at least before that alleged filter kicks me off.

Like I said, in EPST of the Droid Incredible and QPST of ANY 3G smartphone or modem, package string is supposed to be #777

Anyone out there?..... I feel like I'm talking to my computer here lol.

6. wxjunkie

wxjunkie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My experience is leading me to believe there is something at the network level that Verizon has put in place to stop unauthorized tethering. I've tried several new and older radios (gingerbread and froyo) and CM7 and stock roms to no avail. The hotspot will either work briefly and stop without warning or become active yet any device doesn't believe it's connected to the internet. Has anyone found a concrete combination of basebands and roms that set tethering free?

7. soulthunder

soulthunder New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, I've been toying with this issue for months now, and thanks to you guys I've now apparently resolved it. Thought I'd share my story and observations in case they shed any light:

Firstly, some context: I'm on a Verizon Employee account (i'm not the employee, but a family member is an engineer...sadly she can't share any real info with me in this regard). I got my Thunderbolt in March, so I have Unlimited Data and from the very beginning I've had access to the stock Mobile Hotspot, have been using it constantly and have never been charged. For the last several months I'm averaging about 25GB of data on my phone per month; as I use it for World of Warcraft, Netflix, Torrents, and massive amounts of random data from classwork in medical school.

My connection has always been relatively reliable, but I have ALWAYS had some kind of noticeable filter in place when tethering. However, it DOES NOT flat out disconnect me and I've learned to work around it. The way this filter appears to work is that I can have constant data running to my tethered desktop PC, but as soon as the bandwidth exceeds about 200 kilobytes per second for more than about 10 seconds, the filter will kick in a boot my connection. It DOES NOT disconnect me, and as soon as I refresh or attempt to reconnect to the server it resumes just fine, but with the same limits. I have tested this thoroughly by monitoring bandwidth from WOW, Netflix, and though setting limiters to bandwidth in uTorrent. As long as I stay below 200kB/sec, I have a steady non-dropping connection, and everythings fine. TO clarify: I can get consistent acute bandwidth of up to 2.5 MBit with Speedtest.net and I can get downloads to reach about 800-1000 kB/sec on a pretty regular basis so there's speed to be had, HOWEVER, running at these speeds for more than about 10 seconds ALWAYS results in this network boot (that again, does NOT drop my 4G conenction, and does NOT affect my wifi connection).

Recently I had theorized some of this might be due to bad reception, as I can never get above 3 bars at my house, and often spontaneously drop to 2 bars. I had considering buying a 700mhz signal booster, antenna, etc, but all in all it costs about $500, and I might as well give in to Time-Warner cable internet at that point.

Finally after reading here and various other sites I came to a solution to get around this that is working great. Again, I'm a noob in this, so bear with me.

I rooted with a very simple rooting guide from Revolutionary: http://www.thunderboltforums.com/forum/htc-thundebolt-hacking-guides/5259-rs-approved-revolutionary-5-minutes-less-root-without-data-loss.html

I
    tried using Open Garden, Barnacle, and some other random tethering programs that shouldn't be traceable by Verizon, but I now believe they ARE. These did not change the connection pattern in any way.

So, I went to the tether program you described above: Wireless Tether for Root Users. This app is no longer on the Android Marketplace under Verizon, so you have use a side loader, this appears to be as good one:
    Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine v. 1.2 - Android Forums

I loaded the newest WTRU 3.1 Beta6: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

N
    OW, I have a completely unstoppable connection!!!

I'm getting 7-9Mbit on Speedtest (faster overall acute d/l speed) and I'm not hitting any kind of bandwidth cap that kicks me, steady connections to Netflix, WOW, etc. And this is on 2 bars of signal.

Thank you guys so much for the suggestion to use WTRU, it seems to have resolved the problem entirely. (No wonder Verizon banned it from their marketplace.)

8. crespo6565

crespo6565 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey soulthunder, glad you were able to solve your dilemma. i did exactly what the above steps advised and i have the tethering app ON, but my laptop isnt picking up the actual android tether ssid. moreover, 0.0kb downloaded at 0.0kps speed, and also nothing uploaded. I just want to get me running again so i can watch some sports on my laptop again while at work! Any takes on the matter? Thanks in advance!

9. Brockjava

Brockjava New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I miss my tethering days...

#33 Brockjava, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  10. skinnerj

skinnerj New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tether with thunderbolt

Can you tell me how to tether the thunderbolt I keep getting the subscription message from verizon

11. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    Depends on if your rooted or not. If your not, look-up PDAnet and Foxfi, if you are rooted there are a number of options you can go with, some people use the WiFi tether app which seems to do pretty good.

Search tags for this page
android tethering guard
htc tethering guard
tether guard
tether guard thunderbolt

tethering guard

tethering guard android
tethering guard thunderbolt

tetheringguard

tetheringguard thunderbolt
what is tethering guard