Cable vs Dish TV vs Direct TV

GeLopez

Reaction score
I havr nothing but horror stories with direct tv. So my recommendation will be to go with dish network.

pixyRx3r

Reaction score
DISH Network’s engineers are pretty inventive. At CES 2012 this past week, they introduced some innovative devices that are worth checking out like the Hopper and Joey which bring Whole-Home DVR service, and Primetime Anytime which other providers don't have.

Reaction score
Dish has been ok, except we signed a 2 year contract and were supposed to be at $24 a month locked in for the first year. They lied and it was only that for a month or 2. It jumped up $10 and Dish couldn't care less. I'm worried it'll increase the second year.

Boot Manager

I'm thinking of getting DirecTV. I was on their website and reading everything that is there. It states what the "sale" price is for the first year, AND what the upped price will be for the second year and what the regular price of the packages are. There are 4 plans to choose from. Not sure if they had this feature on the site when you were researching, though.

I have a friend with DirecTV and he loves it. And the NFL Sunday Ticket...I know the OP here isnt' interested in sports however, my friend pays $130 a month, and for the NFLST he pays $50 extra a month for 6 months out of the year...so 6 months @ 130 and another 6 months at 180. I don't think that is bad considering I'm paying 180 for cable, 50 for phone and 65 for internet through Cox cable a month. And that is not HD...that is 1 DVR box and all channels, premium included. That is expensive. I'm just looking to cut my bill down. Only real issue finding an ISP now it's between Clear and Centruy Link, but I game and don't know which would be better.

Reaction score
I've had cable and Internet through my cable provider now for almost two years of service. I like cable better because it is underground and the weather won't affect if we have bad weather. I've tried satellite TV before in the past, and every time that it rains or snows, it messes up. And that's the main reason why I don't like it. I've tried both dish network and direct TV, and they both are the same. I mean, their packages are awesome the fact that you get more channels for the price that I am paying for on cable. But I still won't go to satellite TV.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using DroidForums

Great thing is that I live in Las Vegas, pretty steady weather here. So Dish/Direct won't be an issue for me. My issue with my cable company is that I have internet with them and I get bumped and freezes too often as it's shared with everyone in the neighborhood.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just switched to Dish from Cable. My cable company is a monopoly where I live and they jacked the rates up on me after 6 months (was supposed to have frozen prices for a year). They were trying to charge me $70 for 50 channels! Before, I was paying $30...went to dish. Now have HD, dvr, and 4x the channels for cheaper. Quality is great and installer was nothing but a pleasure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SANhacker

Reaction score
I've had DirecTV since 1996 and love it. I couldn't do without NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. I know of no other option for these packages. Living in Tucson makes the weather issue a non issue as we have 360 days of sunshine according to the tourist bureau.

Reaction score
Great thing is that I live in Las Vegas, pretty steady weather here. So Dish/Direct won't be an issue for me. My issue with my cable company is that I have internet with them and I get bumped and freezes too often as it's shared with everyone in the neighborhood.

I've had DirecTV since 1996 and love it. I couldn't do without NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. I know of no other option for these packages. Living in Tucson makes the weather issue a non issue as we have 360 days of sunshine according to the tourist bureau.

We are considering DirecTV too. And we are going to get NFL Sunday Ticket cause we are all football junkies around here. 360 days of sunshine is the same here in Las Vegas.

SANhacker

Reaction score
LOL. I know what you mean. In our neck of the woods cloudy weather is a rarity.
If you want NFL ST then as far as I know, DirecTV has a monopoly on it.
Best of luck, you won't be disappointed.

Also, you can program your DVR from your android phone in the event you forget to while at home. This has come in handy for me on many occasions. i.e. sporting events I forget about until the last minute.

nikecar

Reaction score
I wouldn't get a dish/DTV here in FL due to the weather, and I don't want anything mounted on my roof, which is how it would have to be at my house. the fear of the satellite rates going up, as I've heard horror stories on, would block me from ever going to them.

I have FiOS, had to play the switch game to Brighthouse to get a free month, then just now jumped back to FiOS with more channels, a settop box for life (really another 2 yrs), and i'm getting a $300 gift card, for a bit lower than what I had been paying (but was going to go up due to my last 2yr deal being expired).

VZ didn't want to keep me, so I left. I only have to pay $30 for some extra day prorations from VZ and BH from Dec-yesterday. Not bad.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
The biggest problem with DTV is discontinuing the service. When I had DTV, it wasn't bad, but then when my gf and I decided we'd like to switch to comcast, DTV made our lives hell. To be specific, DTV refused to stop the service after repeated phone calls to do so, finally telling us to send the equipment back and they would disconnect the service. The day after we sent the equipment off they billed my gf $1200! We called and told them to reverse the charge, they refused, saying it was owed. We told them it shouldn't have been more than $200, but they wouldn't disconnect the service, and we weren't using it. To which they said once they recieved the equipment, "some" of the charge would be refunded. Most importantly, the charge itself was illegal. They used credit info from when my gf first obtained an extra box, and she was told the card would not be kept on file for future purchases! This happened to be the card that was charged, and that was the only time DTV ever got this card info. I laugh every time I see these guys in Walmart selling DTV, I let them approach and ask about my service, then I tell them in a slighty "louder" tone: "We were totally lied to and ripped off by Direct TV!! So no thanks dude, you guys taught us our lesson." Google it, guys, there are so many stories like this where Direct Tv Steals from people trying to discontinue service. Just be careful who you go with and keep all the documents.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I had dish once. We then switched to direct and it has been a good experience. We only switched because direct was offering a good deal. After we switched from dish, we found out that we were being still being charged. We kept getting mail from them but never opened them because we figured they were just trying to get us back, but the charges went back a years time of which they wanted us to cough up. They had documentation of the cancellation by a time/date stamp in their records. But they guy refused to budge. Long story short, I contacted better business bureau. A few weeks later, a manager from dish calls and profusely apologizes, refunding our money. He even informed me that the guy that I was arguing with was dealt with appropriately. I'm not writing this to dissuade, but to share my experience. My in laws can't wait to get back to dish from direct.

From the MAXX

Reaction score
I had dish once. We then switched to direct and it has been a good experience. We only switched because direct was offering a good deal. After we switched from dish, we found out that we were being still being charged. We kept getting mail from them but never opened them because we figured they were just trying to get us back, but the charges went back a years time of which they wanted us to cough up. They had documentation of the cancellation by a time/date stamp in their records. But they guy refused to budge. Long story short, I contacted better business bureau. A few weeks later, a manager from dish calls and profusely apologizes, refunding our money. He even informed me that the guy that I was arguing with was dealt with appropriately. I'm not writing this to dissuade, but to share my experience. My in laws can't wait to get back to dish from direct.

From the MAXX

Maxx, are you with down of direct now? Was that had exp with dish or direct? You in-laws used to have dish...what do they have bow and why dont they like who they are with?

Sent from my VS910 4G using DroidForums

Reaction score
The reason you run into problems with directv when it comes tto installation is because they use a 3rd party company along with their own installation techs. When you run into problems sometimes is when you get the 3rd party

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums