Cable vs Dish TV vs Direct TV

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dish has been ok, except we signed a 2 year contract and were supposed to be at $24 a month locked in for the first year. They lied and it was only that for a month or 2. It jumped up $10 and Dish couldn't care less. I'm worried it'll increase the second year.

Boot Manager

William_04_x

Reaction score
Dish has been ok, except we signed a 2 year contract and were supposed to be at $24 a month locked in for the first year. They lied and it was only that for a month or 2. It jumped up $10 and Dish couldn't care less. I'm worried it'll increase the second year.

Boot Manager

DirecTV pulled something similar on us. What started out as $30 month service ended up as $47 after the first year. The sales rep never disclosed that the first year was offered at a promotional price. I asked very specific questions about pricing when I ordered service, as it wouldn't be used very often. I don't like their sales practices at all.

We have cable at home($200 mo for TV and Inet), and the sat was for our toy hauler when we're on the road. I'd rather watch traffic go by, then give DTV another penny ever again.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Except that he mentioned he doesn't care about sports :p

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

I'll take that man-card. :p

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
DIRECTV vrs. DISH

I agree that DIRECTV seems to be less sensitive to weather than DISH. Live in NJ and we get "interesting" weather patterns. AND! I only deal with DIRECTV directly. Installer was great, no issues. Have heard about "retail installers" not being as good. I was with DISH for 15 years and decided to change because of HD availability and 1 dish for everything. Pricing is questionable and I would get it in writing just what your contract monthly will be. They charged me a "handling fee" for equipment that broke down when they sent the replacement, and I questioned why I should pay anything for "leased" equipment. I found that very disturbing. They have given me a "one time" credit back for that. DISH never did that. DIRECTV billing is confusing and their remotes are not very ergonomic. I'm happy with DIRECTV's lineup and picture quality, but it seems I have to pay attention to their billing and costs a lot more. Could be the factor to go back to DISH when the contract is up.

Graymayre

Reaction score
You should always get the protection plan with DIRECTV, just in case. It covers everything from the dish to the box, all cables and lines included. Even just service calls that you would otherwise have to pay for. They make it cheap enough at $6 a month, considering the costs should something happen. Dishes can go out of alignment, components can wear out, and crazy enough, rerunning cables can get costly if they are bad. Some houses are pre wired with inferior cable that can't handle the frequencies that direct needs for their amount of channels.
But if you have it and a box goes out, its easy to call it and get it replaced at absolutely no charge. Sometimes it may require a tech to come out and check it out, but that is very rare. Considering these boxes can retail for up to $400 for their HD DVR, I wouldn't go without it.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

OP
S

soops

Reaction score
I'll take that man-card. :p

LOL, funny commercials - but I do watched NFL but not enough free time on Sunday. I watched mostly college but on Sunday there are enough NFL games, between the locally broadcast & SNF (Also MNF).

OP
S

soops

Reaction score
Sometimes today I'm going to call Cox and see if they will throw HD upgrade for no additional charge. I've seen both Directv & Dish offer promotional period so I do have doubts how much they will increase or if there is any cap on the increase. Have seen offered for both satelite offered promotional price for 1 yr.

mikespe

Reaction score
Sometimes today I'm going to call Cox and see if they will throw HD upgrade for no additional charge. I've seen both Directv & Dish offer promotional period so I do have doubts how much they will increase or if there is any cap on the increase. Have seen offered for both satelite offered promotional price for 1 yr.

I should have posted earlier that this is what I did! I called Time warner complaining saying I was thinking of switching to direct tv & if they could do anything to keep me. The first girl I spoke with was rude & wouldn't do anything. So I filed a complaint email which I never thought would get read. 4 days later I get a call from a ERY nice woman from Time Warner! She said she was sorry for what happened and if I was willing she might be able to work something out. She asked me what I used my TV for & then offered me All the Premium channels (I already was getting HBO) for only $5 more per month for one year and lowered my RoadRunner by $10. Plus she marked my account & gave me her extension so I can call her when my year so she or whomever will be in her position at that time can see what they can offer me at that time! She was very nice & talked to me for almost an hour. I really never expected to see a corporate rep willing to work so hard to keep a customer. I didn't expect anything for free but I'd say she gave me a pretty good deal. So now I get HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, Encore, The Movie Channel and all the extras that go with them!

pixyRx3r

Reaction score
I cannot say anything about Directv’s deals, but since I work for DISH Network, I know that DISH is offering HD programming free for life, and an everyday price guarantee until 2013 so there will not be any unexpected price leaps. It is true you can have one receiver that will control 2 TV’s independently, but from my own experience, I have never had any kind of lag because TV2 actually uses an UHF remote. I also live in Colorado and even through the worst snowstorms, we have never lost our picture for more than a couple of minutes, and this was attributed to our dish being covered in snow. Being that you are in AZ, you would have no worries of losing signal due to inclement weather. Hope this helps clarify a few things :happy3:

OP
S

soops

Reaction score
Staying w/Cox

Yesterday I ended up calling up cox - account retention dept. Told them I'm paying way more than dish/directv and yet the only HD channels I get are the local broadcasts, and that is only when I have to manually switch using splitter. The rep said I can replace my standard cable box with their HD box which lets me receive more HD channels and I get to save about $13/mo less. Got it connected last night & I'm happy. Not sure if it's common but every now & then the tv freezes up. Other than that no complain.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yesterday I ended up calling up cox - account retention dept. Told them I'm paying way more than dish/directv and yet the only HD channels I get are the local broadcasts, and that is only when I have to manually switch using splitter. The rep said I can replace my standard cable box with their HD box which lets me receive more HD channels and I get to save about $13/mo less. Got it connected last night & I'm happy. Not sure if it's common but every now & then the tv freezes up. Other than that no complain.

I can say that my Dish doesn't ever freeze with HD.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Arodnum1

Reaction score
I have Cox and I love it, my brother has DirecTV and loves it, my cousin has dish and cries every night, dish seems to be losing either just fox sports or fox in general, either way its no good

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

pixyRx3r

Reaction score
FOX and DISH Network came to a long-term agreement last year, so they are not in a position to lose any of those channels at the moment.

Danny1971jdw

Reaction score
I've had cable and Internet through my cable provider now for almost two years of service. I like cable better because it is underground and the weather won't affect if we have bad weather. I've tried satellite TV before in the past, and every time that it rains or snows, it messes up. And that's the main reason why I don't like it. I've tried both dish network and direct TV, and they both are the same. I mean, their packages are awesome the fact that you get more channels for the price that I am paying for on cable. But I still won't go to satellite TV.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dish lies about their price freezes. It was supposed to be 150 channels for $26 for the first year, then go to $30 something the second year. It went to $35 within a couple months and now its at $45. Everytime I have called, they refer to the contract to a small clause that says they can do whatever the hell they want and don't have to honor agreements.

X