Dish's Sling TV

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
630x420.jpg

Those of us with a Chromecast have long been looking for an excuse to cut cable once and for all but unfortunately sport fans are not able to do so because the cable companies still hold the keys to sport's channels like ESPN. Well Dish, seeing that it is inevitable for people to move on from cable, is looking to get into the game early by offering Sling TV, which is a service that allow users to stream channels such as ESPN digitally at the cost of $20 a month. I do not know about you guys but my Chromecast is about to have a companion. It will be interesting to see how well it works and what the initial cost will be.

Source: Dish 8217 s Sling TV Sells ESPN Other Cable Channels on the Web for 20 Re code

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree. That's way too steep for just ESPN & few nonsense channels. Additional cost for other channels, on top of all the other things most of us are already paying for (Netflix, Amazon Prime,etc) you're better off keeping cable. Make it $9.99 and it might be worth it.
Update
I just read that price comes with 200 channels, so that's not bad.
Just my 2 cents.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I see it like it only takes one, hopefully we get to a point where more companies are willing to put their hat in the ring. So yeah $20 early on is about right but I am guessing that price will either come down or they will have to make that package more appealing by adding a NFL Network and a couple of other content choices.

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
What hangs me up is the regional sports networks. If we didn't watch every Orioles game on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, I'd dump cable in a hot second.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We need dish's competitor DirecTV to release something like that for sports packages. But we know that is not going to happen. Not without them slapping some ridiculous price for it to the point where it is cheaper to just keep cable.

(Correction)

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
I agree. I do think, though, that these new streaming services are going to put pressure on the cable and satellite providers to untie their bundles, at least somewhat. That may be wishful thinking, of course...

Reactions: cr6

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
And the internet companies are already trying to charge extra for Netflix. I see internet caps coming soon to a computer near you...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. I do think, though, that these new streaming services are going to put pressure on the cable and satellite providers to untie their bundles, at least somewhat. That may be wishful thinking, of course...

As I've ranted on here for years, congress introduces legislation every year to do away with bundles and every year lobbyists for the channels that suck get it shot down before it ever gets to a full vote. This year when it comes up will be the 15th year in a row.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think I might give it a try, only because it's free for a month on the xbox one...

"Dish just announced Sling TV, its bold new experiment in internet TV that gives cord cutters access to big names like ESPN and Adult Swim without a cable subscription. If you're not quite sold on the idea, though, there's a month-long free trial coming up — but only for Xbox One owners. Microsoft partnered with Dish to bring the extended trial to the console — which is also the only games console that will support the new service at launch — and says it will be available to Xbox Live members in the "coming weeks." The service will regularly cost $20 a month when it launches, and you can add bundles of premium content like "kids" or "news" for an extra $5 each. Sling TV is expected to launch later this month on devices including Amazon's Fire TV and Roku's set-top boxes."

Seems worth checking out, but I don't think we're cutting the cord any time soon...

Source: You can get a free month of Dish s new Sling TV streaming service on Xbox One The Verge

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
As cable & Sat company's see that more and more people are cord cutting, in favour of media sticks and pay as you go streaming services....how long until ISPs jump on the bandwagon of charging people for their increased data consumption?
I can see this happening a lot sooner than we think.
Your thoughts?

S5 tap'n

shockracer

Reaction score
This is the direction of the future. Now that Dish is offering a streaming deal it won't be long before the competitors offer a similar deal.

It will be interesting though, Isp will probably start throttling services that aren't there's or start data capping. The never-ending loops.

Update: lol, mind reading CR6?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As cable & Sat company's see that more and more people are cord cutting, in favour of media sticks and pay as you go streaming services....how long until ISPs jump on the bandwagon of charging people for their increased data consumption?
I can see this happening a lot sooner than we think.
Your thoughts?

S5 tap'n
Especially since the ones who're losing cable and satellite customers are the ones providing the high speed internet in most areas. We're losing money from you because of this, so we're gonna gouge you over here instead. Makes sense when you understand a little bit about how big business thinks.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I tried Sling TV at CES 2015 and now I m cancelling cable The Verge

^ I know I already had planned on trying it, even more so now.

But yeah ISPs can charge more for service but the market will not be bullied. It is a matter of time before the market stands up and offer other options. Unfortunately, as @mountainbikermark said, lobbyists are in the pockets of governments hindering the evolution. But the more they fight the more people are going to push.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That article have some good details about what to expect, ie can not watch nfl games on your smart phone. Be interesting to see if you can with google/nexus tv.