Cable vs Dish TV vs Direct TV

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by soops, Nov 19, 2011.

1. soops

soops New Member

I'm in Phx currently with Cox service (internet & cable). Does anyone know which is better? I can't find a decent objective review online. I don't need sports package or need VOD.
  2. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

Cable is almost always better for internet, but if there are old lines run where you live, you might have issues. In that case go DSL.
    DIRECTV is absolutely the best for TV, with or without sports or HD. Most especially with either or both. DISH is a little cheaper, but so is their service and equipment. DIRECTV draws more channels from more satellites and holds better in the weather than DISH.

The answer is 42.
    Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
    Well, I can't answer that.
  3. soops

soops New Member

thanks. yea I think the internet service is fine w/cox, though I experienced multiple hang ups/freeze but I'm starting to think it's my netgear router.

as far as switching to satelitte, I'm also leaning toward DirectTv at the moment. I've always had Cox for everything though I've canceled my phone line for awhile. For the same service if price differential is less than $5/mo then I probably wouldn't switch.

One question to those with satelite - right now w/Cox I only have 1 cable box & the other 2 tv just connected to the wall/coax and I was able to get the channel lineups up to 99. Does satelite works the same way?
  4. mikespe

mikespe New Member

Do you own your own home or do you rent? I ask because I live in an apartment and Direct TV needs approval to install the dish on the building. In my case the rep on the phone told me they can do a "bucket install" which is putting cement in a bucket then a pole to attach the dish to. After waiting 3 hrs for them to come install it the service guy 1) barely speaks English and 2) Said he needs approval to attach the dish to the building. When I said that I arranged for a bucket install he said his company don't do that. He called his boss & I called Direct TV. His boss speaks to me & says some install companies do the bucket install but they don't. Direct TV told me that yes I did arrange for a bucket but has no control over what the installation companies do. After complaining to over 5 different people at direct TV including supervisors they did nothing for me! They wouldn't even try to find another installation company that WOULD do the bucket install for me!

Looking at online reviews afterward there were others who had issues with the install process. Yes Direct TV has good programming as well as the quality of the signal. But if you need any repair or customer service work they don't do squat! So I would ask around to people in your area about not only the programming & signal quality but ask if anyone needed service AFTER the install and see how THAT was...
  5. soops

soops New Member

Mikespe - Thanks for sharing your horrible story.I lived in a home (BofA owned it :icon_evil:) so that will not be an issue however customer service is important but quality of signal is probably my main concern. Most of the neighbors I chat with have Cox but a couple have satelitte (both Dish & Directv).
  6. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

I know that. It is difficult to install in apartments in general because of the constraints apartments put on the installers, and then DirecTV has a standard that they have to meet. Its hell on the installer, too.
    Anyway, there is one reciever per room, it works very different than cable. Each reciever communicates directly with the dish to draw the frequency range that each channel is broadcast on. The reciever decodes it and sends it to the TV. It is $6 for each additional room, but the quality is outstanding.
    DISH uses one receiver to control 2 rooms sometimes, using an RF remote for the second TV, but this works slow, and if you get a hardware failure, it takes out both TVs until you get it replaced.
    DIRECTV also supports 1080p and 3D for some ppv movies.
    If you decide to go the DIRECTV route and need help, pm me and I can help a little.

The answer is 42.
  7. mikespe

mikespe New Member

My point is that Direct TV made a promise they couldn't keep. The sales rep said whatever she needed to get me to purchase Direct TV...WITHOUT verifying whether the installer would be able to follow through on her promise. I wouldn't want to lock into a 2 year contract with a company that lies then does nothing to fix the problem. If Direct TV was worried about standards then the sales rep wouldn't have offered to do the bucket install. Cable may be expensive but at lease I'm not locked in to a contract & I can cancel at any time.
  8. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

I understand that, and it happens alot. I don't agree with it. They was to do whatever they can to sell it and get a technician out there to try to make it work. Sometimes it just can't be done. The sales people aren't the brightest bunch and it pisses everyone off down the line to the technician, and it is left to him to disappoint the customer and explain how the sales rep was wrong. But sometimes it just wont work, and no one knows it until the tech comes out to do the assessment. I'm sorry to hear that and it sucks because the sales reps are stupid sometimes.

The answer is 42.
  9. mikespe

mikespe New Member

Actually 2 people in my complex HAVE the bucket install already! They just had a different install company do the installation. That's the inconsistency with direct TV...there should be ONE sent of installation rules and ALL the installation companies HAVE to follow them.
  10. wcjeep

wcjeep Member

The low def channels are better on Direct TV than local cable. High Def about the same. I have friends with Dish that seem to be happy. We're happy with Direct TV.
  11. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

They are supposed to follow the same rules. But now that I think about it, if you find a DIRECTV retailer that offers you the receivers and installation, they actually do the installation and don't have to follow the rules.

Edit: They are supposed to, though, and are liable if something goes wrong during the contract period.

Also, did you order HD? If you did, that is a larger dish and cannot be mounted in buckets or tripods. It picks up on 5 orbital positions instead of just 3. The additional 2 are dedicated to HD.
    More stuff the sales reps are clueless about.

The answer is 42.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  12. mikespe

mikespe New Member

Yes I did order HD but my neighbors have it too...and based on my experience and that you agree that there ARE supposed to be common rules followed is all the reason to be leery of Direct TV.
  13. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

The rules may have changed. I know that I've got a tripod but now they don't allow their techs to install on them.

The answer is 42.
  14. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

My parents have had Dish since '03. Other than going out in bad weather, it's been good.

That said, I would get DirecTV for one reason; NFL Sunday Ticket.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  15. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

Except that he mentioned he doesn't care about sports :p

The answer is 42.
  16. brad92

brad92 New Member

Dish has been ok, except we signed a 2 year contract and were supposed to be at $24 a month locked in for the first year. They lied and it was only that for a month or 2. It jumped up $10 and Dish couldn't care less. I'm worried it'll increase the second year.

Boot Manager
  17. William_04_x

William_04_x Member

DirecTV pulled something similar on us. What started out as $30 month service ended up as $47 after the first year. The sales rep never disclosed that the first year was offered at a promotional price. I asked very specific questions about pricing when I ordered service, as it wouldn't be used very often. I don't like their sales practices at all.

We have cable at home($200 mo for TV and Inet), and the sat was for our toy hauler when we're on the road. I'd rather watch traffic go by, then give DTV another penny ever again.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  18. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I'll take that man-card. :p

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  19. wkwaggoner

wkwaggoner Member

DIRECTV vrs. DISH

I agree that DIRECTV seems to be less sensitive to weather than DISH. Live in NJ and we get "interesting" weather patterns. AND! I only deal with DIRECTV directly. Installer was great, no issues. Have heard about "retail installers" not being as good. I was with DISH for 15 years and decided to change because of HD availability and 1 dish for everything. Pricing is questionable and I would get it in writing just what your contract monthly will be. They charged me a "handling fee" for equipment that broke down when they sent the replacement, and I questioned why I should pay anything for "leased" equipment. I found that very disturbing. They have given me a "one time" credit back for that. DISH never did that. DIRECTV billing is confusing and their remotes are not very ergonomic. I'm happy with DIRECTV's lineup and picture quality, but it seems I have to pay attention to their billing and costs a lot more. Could be the factor to go back to DISH when the contract is up.
  20. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

You should always get the protection plan with DIRECTV, just in case. It covers everything from the dish to the box, all cables and lines included. Even just service calls that you would otherwise have to pay for. They make it cheap enough at $6 a month, considering the costs should something happen. Dishes can go out of alignment, components can wear out, and crazy enough, rerunning cables can get costly if they are bad. Some houses are pre wired with inferior cable that can't handle the frequencies that direct needs for their amount of channels.
    But if you have it and a box goes out, its easy to call it and get it replaced at absolutely no charge. Sometimes it may require a tech to come out and check it out, but that is very rare. Considering these boxes can retail for up to $400 for their HD DVR, I wouldn't go without it.

The answer is 42.
Search tags for this page
cable vs direct tv reviews

cable vs directv reviews

cox cable vs directv

cox vs directv

cox vs directv vs dish
direct tv vs cox
direct tv vs cox cable reviews

directv vs cox

directv vs cox cable

dish vs cox