Buying Tip: 32GB Micro SD Card Priced Below $100

Reaction score
Why is the news forum being used for the OP's personal opinions, especially when they are wrong? The Droid's stock 16GB card is class 2 and I hardly see people ever complaining about it's "horrible speed" and slow menus...

I didn't see anyone saying it was "horribly slow" anywhere.

If you are referring to my posts, then you are misreading them. I am merely saying that you will get snappier performance from the higher class cards. It's just a fact... up to 4MB/sec write performance and, in a lot of cases, over 15MB/sec read performance.

virginia4eva

Reaction score
This is why I never post:icon_evil: Someone always trying to start something:work1:

Detonation

Reaction score
Why is the news forum being used for the OP's personal opinions, especially when they are wrong? The Droid's stock 16GB card is class 2 and I hardly see people ever complaining about it's "horrible speed" and slow menus...

I didn't see anyone saying it was "horribly slow" anywhere.

If you are referring to my posts, then you are misreading them. I am merely saying that you will get snappier performance from the higher class cards. It's just a fact... up to 4MB/sec write performance and, in a lot of cases, over 15MB/sec read performance.

I'm referring to the Original Poster (the OP as I stated)...
Well I will tell you... Its all about the class. This 32GB that is going so cheap is a simple class 2 MicroSD card, which means the speed is horrible. It will be so slow you would hate going through menus, not an unusable slow, but noticeable slow. If you remember 8GB MicroSD cards with class 2 are pretty good, 16GB much worse but still okay, now just imagine 32GB's of wait time.
And the last sentence is just flat out wrong. The class rating is for read/write speed and has nothing to do with the size. An 8gb class 2 card will r/w at the same speed as a 16 and 32gb one will.

Reaction score
And the last sentence is just flat out wrong. The class rating is for read/write speed and has nothing to do with the size. An 8gb class 2 card will r/w at the same speed as a 16 and 32gb one will.

Then I apologize.

I did read the OP, but I did not remember seeing him say that in his post.

But, yeah, you are right... a class 2 8GB will read the same as a class 2 16GB. I just want to be clear that I do not disagree with you there.

aristo1963

Reaction score
As I said earlier the speed rating is for certain video and camera needs.
Class 2 is more than fine for our phone needs.My JVC HD camcorder does specify a class 4 card for best results as the files are huge as it records,

The full section from sandisk emphasis by me.

Speed Class is a minimum speed based on a worst case scenario test. The Speed Class is important for video mode or camcorders, where the device is actually saving a steady stream of data. The resolution and format of the video determines the amount of steady stream data. This translates to a minimum speed you need to guarantee that the video captured on the cards is recorded at an even, sustained rate with no dropped frames (which typically results in lost data and choppy playback).

Compared to high-megapixel photography, video doesn't need as big a pipe because the video format is a smaller "fixed stream" that uses only a portion of the pipe. But you do need a minimum guaranteed speed for the SDHC card that satisfies the requirement of the data stream. Your camera's specifications should state the minimum SDHC Class Rating required.

Using a card without the proper class rating on a more advanced camera, such as a high-definition (HD) camcorder or Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera with HD video record settings is likely to result in an error message indicating that video can only be recorded at a lower definition setting.

Reaction score
As I said earlier the speed rating is for certain video and camera needs.
Class 2 is more than fine for our phone needs.My JVC HD camcorder does specify a class 4 card for best results as the files are huge as it records,

But you miss the part where images are moved to the card in RAW format and THEN converted, which is where the speed relation to photography comes in. Lots of people love to take pictures with their phone and getting them saved to memory and being ready to take another is a good thing.

Video is compressed on the fly for the most part. So the class rating for the memory CAN actually be lower and still achieve good performance.

But, like I stated earlier, if you take a mobile GPS unit and load it with a class 2 card and then watch it load maps versus loading it with a class 4 or 6 card and watch it do the same, you will notice a difference.

Loading of files, if it can be done faster, does improve performance.

As for class 2 being more than fine... sure, it could be. But if someone (and many here do) wants extra performance from their phone, then getting a higher speed class card WILL help.