Buying Tip: 32GB Micro SD Card Priced Below $100

Reaction score
If you're going to get a card that size for a phone or other small, mobile electronics... you might want to look into Class 4 for the speed. Class 2 (like the one pictured) is okay, but it is just slow for data access times.

Like when I got my GPS (before I got this Droid X). The Class 2 card was slow to load maps, but once I changed it to Class 4 it was literally night and day.

rcjames

Reaction score
If you're going to get a card that size for a phone or other small, mobile electronics... you might want to look into Class 4 for the speed. Class 2 (like the one pictured) is okay, but it is just slow for data access times.

Like when I got my GPS (before I got this Droid X). The Class 2 card was slow to load maps, but once I changed it to Class 4 it was literally night and day.

Do you know where to get one but a 32gb? I'm also planning to get a faster hd for my laptop which does make a difference. I'm a it but new to smart phone. Now if i go for a 2class would i tell the difference between that and the microsd that comes to my phone beside the extra storage?

everstar80

Reaction score
I did notice a difference when i got my class 2 32gb card on my device. It made all of my apps run faster and more smoothly than with the original memory card.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought I read where the original Droid can't write faster than Class 2 anyway, so what would be the point in going higher? Can anyone comment?

I'll get the 32 gig at some point. But I plan on jumping all over an LTE phone when they come out so I'll probably just wait and get the 32 gig card with that.

B-Unit

Reaction score
The 16 GB Card that ships with the OG Droid is Class2, therefore you wont see a speed difference, just double the storage space. Odds are that would also mean double the time to refresh the contents after a sync, but im not positive of this.

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
Today I am getting my 16gb micro sd card delivered class 2 and for 28. Wasn'tbad sonow I uust wait

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I thought I read where the original Droid can't write faster than Class 2 anyway, so what would be the point in going higher? Can anyone comment?

I'll get the 32 gig at some point. But I plan on jumping all over an LTE phone when they come out so I'll probably just wait and get the 32 gig card with that.

The MotoDev site said at one point that the Droid supports up to Class 6 flash memory cards.

Reaction score
Here's a link to SanDisk's site on information for the various classes.

SanDisk's Site Difference between Speed Class and Speed Ratings

It said "The Speed Class is important for video mode or camcorders, where the device is actually saving a steady stream of data."

The same site says:
Sandisk said:
Compared to high-megapixel photography, video doesn't need as big a pipe because the video format is a smaller "fixed stream" that uses only a portion of the pipe.

Which means pictures benefit from the faster pipes available in the higher class memory cards, since the compression isn't usually as high as it is with video.

From loading pictures, to loading maps, to loading programs... the higher class cards provide better overall performance.

virginia4eva

Reaction score
So the question is, Do you put a 32gb class 2 in the X or 8gb class 6? Is the speed worth the sacrifice of space? I don't use 8gb anyway, so should I just switch to the 8gb? I am thinking yes, what say you guys?:)

Reaction score
So the question is, Do you put a 32gb class 2 in the X or 8gb class 6? Is the speed worth the sacrifice of space? I don't use 8gb anyway, so should I just switch to the 8gb? I am thinking yes, what say you guys?:)

I'd go for the 16GB (at the minimum) Class 4 or higher. Especially since the 16GB cards are so cheap now.

virginia4eva

Reaction score
I guess I did not specify in my post that I have a 1gb, 2gb, 8gb class 6, 16gb class 2, and 32gb class 2. I really do not want to spend any more money on cards:) So, 8 or 32? What do you think?:):) Thanks!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Some great info guys.

I haven't used my phone for pics much, but probably will start and I do find the speed kind of annoying.

I'm going to go for the class 4 or class 6, but I might wait until I upgrade to an LTE phone and the 32gig cards should be cheaper by then.

Alternatively (and I don't know if this works), would seem to make sense to store apps, photos and video recording (maybe games) on the internal storeage. Then put all your music and movies on the SD card. In that scenario, a class 2 is probably fine?

virginia4eva

Reaction score
Yes, you are probably better off waiting. I got the 32gb with the X. The lady threw it in for 50 bucks! She also gave me my rebate instant, so I did not have to wait. I got that video sent to my phone from the NY marketing dept. where you could upgrade early, sweeeetttttt!!:)

Detonation

Reaction score
Why is the news forum being used for the OP's personal opinions, especially when they are wrong? The Droid's stock 16GB card is class 2 and I hardly see people ever complaining about it's "horrible speed" and slow menus...