Buying a Nexus on Ebay. Will Verizon still warranty it?

coolbreeze704

Reaction score
I found a like new Nexus on eBay for a 475 with extended battery, car dock, and Zagg screen protectors and a case without contract. My question is will the Verizon warranty carry over to me, or will I be out of luck if the phone has issues?
I have an upgrade at this time but I do not know if I want to use it at this time. I am worried about all the negative posts I have read on this phone and feel like I got a good enough deal on it that if it does not pan out I can resell it in the springtime when all the new phones start hitting the market for a good price and use my upgrade to get a Edge, Padfone or Galaxy Journal (Note).
If it rocks like many of you believe it does then I get a great phone to play with and customize and can sell the upgrade phone online or keep it till next year when the new Nexus hits.
Am I thinking straight?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was told by a Verizon employee that normally when another person gets the device that was originally tied to your account the warranty becomes void. However, she also said that as long as it's within the one year time frame of the manufacturer warranty, Verizon tends to ignore it and acts as if you originally bought the phone.

Reaction score
no.

the first question they ask when before sending out a warranty replacement is where you bought it.

OP
coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704

Reaction score
Actually they do.

I should have called to begin with but after reading these reply's I called Verizon and explained I was buying a used phone and asked whether the warranty carried over to me, and she explained the warranty is tied to the serial number serial number and another #, I believe she said a IMEI or the IMSI. I was driving and did not write it down. She explained that when the phone comes in they check that and as long as it is within the year of purchase date it is covered. I asked here to notate this conversation so it will be on my records.
Looks like I will be joining you all in the world of pure Google fun.:icon_ banana:
Am I making a smart move on this phone and trying it out without using the upgrade?

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you heard that wrong...

She is saying that when it comes in they check the numbers first, then if they match the original owner and its within the yr then they cover it...

Hell I may be wrong, it just doesn't pan out...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

OP
coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704

Reaction score
I explained I was buying used and wanted to make sure the phone would be still warrantied. She explained in great detail that the one year warranty was on the phone and would transfer to me and that if I brought in my used phone they would warranty it as long as the phone was within a year of purchase date.

OP
coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704

Reaction score
I think you heard that wrong...

She is saying that when it comes in they check the numbers first, then if they match the original owner and its within the yr then they cover it...

Hell I may be wrong, it just doesn't pan out...

You are right I chatted online to follow up on your post and they did say it would not. Darn!
Jeanette: I did check on that, and the warranty would be voided if you move that phone off of your line.
You: Are you sure. that sounds wrong. Samsung would still stand behind there product if it had an issue so why wouldn't Verizon stand behind good customers.
Jeanette: All of our warranties through us are based on contracts between our manufactures and us at Verizon Wireless, when someone purchases a phone through us that warranty works for the line that the phone was purchased with for as long as that phone is on that line. I do apologize for that.

Reaction score
I should have called to begin with but after reading these reply's I called Verizon and explained I was buying a used phone and asked whether the warranty carried over to me, and she explained the warranty is tied to the serial number serial number and another #, I believe she said a IMEI or the IMSI. I was driving and did not write it down. She explained that when the phone comes in they check that and as long as it is within the year of purchase date it is covered. I asked here to notate this conversation so it will be on my records.
Looks like I will be joining you all in the world of pure Google fun.:icon_ banana:
Am I making a smart move on this phone and trying it out without using the upgrade?

that's obviously incorrect. how would vzw know the purchase date if they didn't sell it to you?

OP
coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704

Reaction score
that's obviously incorrect. how would vzw know the purchase date if they didn't sell it to you?

It is incorrect as I stated above, but they do know who purchased the phone and when it was purchased. Barcodes are scanned and serial numbers, and sim card information is captured in their systems.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
You are right I chatted online to follow up on your post and they did say it would not. Darn!

Yeah it just sounded to good to be true.

I image the esn was recorded in Verizons PC's, they know to who and when it was purchased ...

KeepItReal

Reaction score
VZW can verify the original purchase date, and can perform Warranty replacement. You may be put through a longer troubleshooting process, as they should take more time trying look for damage, water damage, and rooting. However, the phone (unless moved within the same account) can no longer be eligible for Asurion insurance. You may try other insurance offerings; I have no knowledge of how they handle their business.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

OP
coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704

Reaction score
That is what the first Verizon rep I talked to said.

It might even be where you have to find the right sales rep that wants to help vs the rep that wants to get out of helping. I know in the bicycle industry warranty's are written up as for original customer only, but if we know the customer or can see it is legit, we take care of it regardless. If it is questionable or a bad customer we ask for the receipt and will not warranty. ( happens very seldom) I would rather build a strong relationship with a client by helping him out then lose one for good.

VZW can verify the original purchase date, and can perform Warranty replacement. You may be put through a longer troubleshooting process, as they should take more time trying look for damage, water damage, and rooting. However, the phone (unless moved within the same account) can no longer be eligible for Asurion insurance. You may try other insurance offerings; I have no knowledge of how they handle their business.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

OP
coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704

Reaction score
By the way. I made the purchase. 3 week old Nexus from a Mac guy that could not give up his 4S, so he let it go. Came with a case and screen protectors, delivered for 425. Looking forward to getting to know ICS. :icon_ banana:

wolstonc

Reaction score
I used to work for vzw customer support. They will not cover your device under warranty. It is possible to verify the purchase and all, but that would involve accessing unauthorized accounts. Even if you were authorized, its against the vzw policy to cover a device that has the esn changed under reason of "customer provided equipment", which is what this would be. The only exception is if you have the tec insurance that extends your warranty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums