Buying on Ebay

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S4' started by Hugh Jass, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Found a listing I'm considering on Ebay for a GS4. The discription is as follows:

Seems to be a pretty good price ($475), but is their anything fishy with this? I know that things go south buying phones on ebay all the time and I'm not sure if this proof of purchase matching serial number stuff could this prevent me from activating the phone on my personal account?

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Active Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I'd be asking how he is exiting his obligation on the phone, so that when you go to register it it doesn't have a $700 charge associated with it. Did he buy it outright for $700? If yes then there should be no charges and this is a good deal. If he got it either as a new Verizon customer/line or as a replacement, then there are charges associated with it, and either he or you will have to pay up to $700.

3. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    You want the ESN, you want to make sure it's not blacklisted. Someone recently on either this forum or the S3 forum bought a phone and had it for 90 days then it was blacklisted because the person who purchased the phone sold it to this person and then let his contract go into collections. Once that happened the ESN was disabled and it doesn't matter who has the phone at the time, until the bill is paid that phone is shut off. I'd be extremely careful about this transaction.

4. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Now I'm paranoid. I guess I'll just deal with an old X2 I have until I can't stand it any longer, can't really afford the alternatives.

5. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +292
    I really would hate for you to get burned on this.

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Yea, money is too valuable to flush away. I'll just suffer.

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Active Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Dude - keep watching and you can find a good used S3, plenty of them on Ebay and you should be able to verify whether there are charges. An honest seller will have an excellent history, and will address any concern about a clear ESN right in the auction. Any posting that doesn't address this concern up front should be considered suspect.

8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Instead of ebay I would give Swappa a shot. I've posted a few phones there and they always asked for the ESN or IMEI number and you can verify the phone through the posting.

Big ticket items, I tend to stay away from on ebay. I have yet to get burned on ebay, but I've heard too many horror stories and a few of my friends got burned on it. eBay usually settles the case on the buyer's side, but it's way too much of a headache.

9. reybie

reybie Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I think I'd be more comfortable with swappa, I have personally sold a phone there.

10. crmcsh01

crmcsh01 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Swappa would be the route I would take too. I have been using eBay for over a decade and I swear over the last year, I have received more junk items not as described on eBay than the previous 10 years combined. I am not sure what the deal is, maybe it is my horrible luck.