Buy the nexus straight out?

Reaction score
I am a month away from upgrade time. Would I be better to buy the nexus straight out from somewhere online, then keep my upgrade open for possibly something later down the line?

Where can I get a verizon compatable nexus? Besides from verizon, I have seen it going for right around 400/450. But from my understanding, the are not verizon phones. Even the nexus that is advertised in the google store here isn't verizon compatible.

Thanks
Ben

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Well, there are a couple of approaches. Do you have unlimited data? You may want to upgrade with Verizon now and get the discounted price and be on unlimited for the next 2 years. From my reading Verizon is going too end unlimited plans and make everyone migrate to data share plans. They stated that you can pay full retail for a phone and keep the unlimited plan going. So, you could upgrade now at a discounted price, keep unlimited for the next 2 years, then buy your phone full-price at the end of that 2 year contract and keep unlimited for another 2 years for a total of 4 years maintaining the unlimited data plan. All subject to change until the complete announcement comes out. If you don't have unlimited data, then you can always wait for the next device, and wait some more. There is always something with more technology coming sheen the pike. Sometimes you just have to pick the phone that meets your needs. Betcha the next new headbangers phones that come out, come out after the data plan changes, lol. Like the new iPhone and Razr Maxx HD.

OP
WsW-WYATT-EARP
Reaction score
Ya, I hear what your saying. I am unlimited right now yet. Still another month before upgrade. Sooner or later they will kick everyone off unlimited the way it sounds.

My thought is if I can get the nexus now for around 400, sport it until the next greatest thing hits. Use my upgrade and sell the nexus - right now my droid x is just ancient. Is it worth using my upgrade on the nexus and still shell out 200 for it? Or like I am thinking, shell out 400 and save the upgrade.....

Reaction score
I bought mine on Craigslist for $275 with 4 cases, 4 batteries, and an external battery charger.
That way I still have unlimited data, and my upgrade is still there if anything better comes out later this year.

Steve

johnnyb15613

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Buy it with an upgrade, V don't need any extra money, but after you see the dev support for this thing you probably won't want the next great phone! DancingNexus

OP
WsW-WYATT-EARP
Reaction score
johnnyb15613 said:
Buy it with an upgrade, V don't need any extra money, but after you see the dev support for this thing you probably won't want the next great phone! DancingNexus

Thing is V doesn't give u a break on your contract if you buy your phone out right? If I buy the nexus and love it. Then buy the next greatest thing since sliced bread on contract and turn around and sell it.... So many options....

I barely hit 2gb data in a month. I used to hit 5. Then out of the blue something changed and I barely hit 2. So the unlimited is nice but not major, and the way it looks, it's just a matter of time before it's gone.... :(

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Nexus gets my vote. With a rom and kernel it's as fast as anything out and should be for quite some time!

OP
WsW-WYATT-EARP
Reaction score
tgyberg said:
Nexus gets my vote. With a rom and kernel it's as fast as anything out and should be for quite some time!

I am excited for a new phone and have heard the nexus is totally customizable.

I never got into romming my x :( a few weekends ago I put a kernel and rom on my xoom, now I have a taste of it and want a phone I can work with.

Reaction score
It took me a while to find that deal, most around here wanted $400 for them.
I'm going to sell the cases and sell a couple of the batteries and charger......make the deal even better.

Biggest thing with used is to run the MEID number with Verizon to make sure it's clean, check the phone out completely to make sure it's in great condition with no issues. It was scary to spend that much money on it, but it all worked out in the end.

Steve