I am getting cheated out of a G-Nex

Insidious

Reaction score
I have an OG Droid that is out of memory and is running slowly (got it in March 2010). And is only 3G. So I started looking into a new phone since my upgrade is coming up (so I thought). I learned of the Rezound, Bionic, RAZR and then I heard of the Nexus. I started reading up on them and narrowed it down to Nexus and Rezound. Once I finally decided on the Nexus, I figured I can deal with my phone until the Nexus comes out. I am on a family plan on verizon. I went on the verizon site to check to see when I was available for an upgrad.....Mach 2013!!! :mad: I remembered that my sister stole my upgrade to get an iphone after 4 months of using a blackberry. So if I steal my mom's or brothers upgrade the soonest I can get a new phone is July 2012.

Well maybe the Nexus will be release by then, lol. Im sure something better will be out then though. I reset my OG droid this morning to see if will make a difference. If not I might buy a droid 2 on ebay to tide me over.

The same thing happened to me! If you switch over account holders it switches the data reset date and phone upgrade data to that date or 20 months from it. Its quite annoying!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

AshesInPompeii

Reaction score
I had the Voyager pretty shortly after it was released, and after a few short months I had to get it swapped for a new one due to failing hardware. Then the replacement didn't have working backlights for the keyboard, so i swapped again, and then that one broke as well. So 12 months and 4 phones into a new contract, I asked to be switched to a new phone. They gave me the EnV Touch, using their "upgrade matrix" sheet, as a comparable replacement, without telling me I had used my upgrade early. I didn't start a new contract though. So I had 8 months left before I was supposed to be able to upgrade, or 12 months till the contract was up.

Right on schedule, my EnV starts breaking, and thinking I had an upgrade, I went to get an Eris, but I had no upgrade available. I went to Best Buy mobile ot ask them what they could do, and they had me sign a new contract (with a new number) as part of my parent's family plan, and I got a new phone.

You could try waiting out your contract and Getting a GNEX on a new contract?

MrKleen

Reaction score
Obviously this may not be an option but you don't ever have to wait to get a new phone. You can always just pay full price for any phone you want and not touch your upgrade. You will have to pay 299 as an upgrade and maybe double that full price. Then you will have an upgrade available for the next phone that will always come out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Obviously this may not be an option but you don't ever have to wait to get a new phone. You can always just pay full price for any phone you want and not touch your upgrade. You will have to pay 299 as an upgrade and maybe double that full price. Then you will have an upgrade available for the next phone that will always come out.

Very true. But I think the Nexus is $799 without contract, more than double contract price. Certainly an option, just the least affordable

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very true. But I think the Nexus is $799 without contract, more than double contract price. Certainly an option, just the least affordable

That's only at best buy, they're notorious for charging about $100 more than other stores.

I'd imagine you'll see it for $649.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That's only at best buy, they're notorious for charging about $100 more than other stores.

I'd imagine you'll see it for $649.
Damn that is quite the markup. $650 is easier on the wallet than $799, but still an option many would not opt for.

If they don't let me upgrade earlier, this is my only option and it must be done.

wolstonc

Reaction score
Add a line and use the upgrade?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

prowler85

Reaction score
Add a line and use the upgrade?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Was thinking the same thing. I have 5 on my family plan, and generally I use the kids lines to get myself an upgrade then hand down my old one (they're starting to catch on). With tax the add'l line is about $12/mo. So over two years you're paying an extra $288, but it's still cheaper than paying off-contract price. And it gives you and upgrade EVERY year if you stagger them. :icon_ lala:

OP
Panther1911

Panther1911

Reaction score
Would I have a better chance of getting the early upgrade if i went to a 3rd party vendor like a best buy?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Would I have a better chance of getting the early upgrade if i went to a 3rd party vendor like a best buy?

I'm afraid not. Verizon decides when or if you're eligable for an early upgrade...

nleksan

Reaction score
Hey, I've been a "lurker" on droidforums for a while now, finally made an account a little while ago, and this is my first post... Nice to be here! I hope I can contribute, at the very least, 1/1,000,000th as I've already learned from you all!

That said, I'm another one of the many; holding onto my OG Droid, waiting for a phone that was truly "groundbreaking" before upgrading, and not getting stuck with a Bionic or Thunderbolt or something like that (no offense, owners of aforementioned phones who actually like them...).

As a techie-geek (self-proclaimed), I am the kind of person who is willing to wait an extra month or three for the phone I REALLY WANT to come out, patiently sitting on my (now last) $100 upgrade, with the cash stored away for the specific purpose of a new phone. As a dual-degree college student (Biochemical Engineering and Psychopharmacology), I have not a lot of free time and not a lot of extra cash, as one can probably imagine.
So, I saved $10-20 a week until I had $220 (plus my $100 upgrade, which went into effect ONE DAY before the cut-off where it would've dropped from $100/50 to $60/30), checking here and on Google every day for the last few weeks for updates about the Galaxy Nexus: when it was coming, how much it would cost, 16GB or 32GB, vanilla 4.0 or Samsung-modified 4.0, etc, etc, etc...

I've been fretting like crazy about whether or not I'd keep my unlimited data (have had unlimited 3G data plan since March'10 for my OG Droid) when switching to the 4G Galaxy Nexus, and even after reading a hundred posts saying "YES YES YES", I've read just as many saying "I GOT SCREWED, SCREWED, SCREWED!", and as much as I use my phone's data (I do a lot of web browsing/research), Verizon would have to pry my unlimited data from my cold-dead hands.

So the other day, I went into the local VZW Store and spoke with the manager regarding the Nexus: "When is it coming? How much? When is it going to be here? Is is 16 or 32 GB? Will it be here soon? Is it identical to the GSM model released in Europe? So will it be here on the 11th or the 9th? Can I preorder it or will I have to take my chances on launch day? Speaking of launch day, when will that happen?"
You know, the basic stuff ;)

Anyone, I got around to asking about switching from Unlimited 3G to the Nexus and it's 4G while retaining my Unlimited Data, and he confirmed that YES, I can! Woohoo, yay me! I know that's common knowledge, but it's good to hear it from the company rep himself, you know?

So, then I told them that I was notified of an upgrade ~2 months ago, and that I should have $100 towards a new phone according to what I was told, and can I apply that to the Nexus? He said yes, if it's there, and to let him check on my account... I'm on a family account, five people total, and I was the primary line up until ~18mo ago when my father's work offered us the chance for a 20% discount, so since I'm locked in with my data, I stay on the family plan (plus it's cheaper for me).

He pulls up the computer, looks up my number, and tells me my upgrade balance is $0.00!!! I just about sh1t myself, because I knew it was there... I'd checked, I had snail mail confirming it, and I'd be d@mned if they screwed me out of $100!
Turns out, the upgrade had been used... six days after it became available...

My brother, who is a dumb@ss little sh!t (freshman in college), got an HTC Incredible (2?) just like three weeks before the unlimited data went away, so late-May 2011. He has since: dropped the first in a pool (got a replacement), dropped the second in a lake (got a replacement), spilled beer on the third (got a replacement), and just straight up smashed the fourth. After the fourth broken phone in as many months, Verizon was getting upset...
Also, I was wondering why, the last time I saw him before Thanksgiving (about 3 weeks prior), he had a Droid X 2...
I was told that they were sending him a new model, when it turns out, according to the Rep, he REQUESTED a new model because "customer thinks phone is too slow, yet all have been in 100% perfect working condition prior to his damaging them just before replacement-period ended".

Turns out he went to the store, after finding my SS#, and used my $100 credit to get a phone that was, at the time, only $49.95!!!! According to the Rep, it's already been replaced once as well!! I swear I'm going to strangle him! He still gets everything paid for, so he could've gotten a new phone if he'd asked, but instead he takes my upgrade... Now, the only upgrade left out of all 5 phones is a $50 one, and I'm getting grief because "It's not my upgrade to use". Jesus Christ. I called him and told him that either I get my $100 or he'll find that his data is going to very quickly get throttled way back, but nope...

Anyway, I told the VZW Rep that he had been taking his phone swimming with him, and that all the previous times he'd sent in for replacement, it wasn't an unintentional case of water damage... So next time he goes in there, I'll be getting a phone call and it's up to me to determine whether or not he can get a replacement or will have to suffer without a phone or *GASP* pay for it himself! Also, he has been blocked from accessing anything regarding the account, even how much data/texts/min he's used, because I'm not gonna lose my Unlimited Data for that nonsense.

However, after explaining what happened to the Rep, I was told that I could take the current $50 upgrade from the other line (I made him swear to me it wouldn't take away my unlimited data), but that's pretty much it... So I'm kinda f'ed. Poor college student here, overworked and severely underpaid, and my lifeline just got cut in half. Not looking for pity, that's not the point.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do... I WILL be in the store when it opens on the 9th for the phone, and I WILL be leaving with it, but I'd like to take as little of a hit as possible when it comes to the weight of my wallet... Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm a decent negotiator (DVR Service/Showtime/HBO FREE for LIFE, as well as an upgrade from TWC Road Runner 15Mbs "Broadband Turbo" at $39.99/mo to Road Runner 50Mbs "Wideband" for only $49.99/mo for 3yrs, and the Wideband normally goes for $99.95/mo!) Actually, come to think of it, I'm a really good "negotiator"... In the last year, I've gotten: an LG 120hz 55" LED-LCD TV for $975 new-in-box (MSRP was $1995), two pairs of Polk Reference Series Towers (4 total speakers, 6 drivers each) for $135/pair instead of $600/pair, and a Denon 9.3(11.3) Receiver for $1700 instead of $3500, and a lot more that I can't remember... I just figure, I set a price range, and I got in and get the absolute best I can get in that price range, even if it has to be haggled down into it.
Not trying to brag, just trying to say that I'm willing to do what I have to... And haggling over $50 or $100 may seem insignificant when compared to above, but two things: 1- The reason I could afford the above at the time was because I am careful with the little amounts, and 2- PRINCIPLE!!

Whew, sorry about the long-winded post, everyone. I can be a bit, uh, "verbose" at times ;)

Thanks for having me here, and I'm glad to be a part of this kick@ss community!!!

-nleksan

R

RETG

Hey, I've been a "lurker" on droidforums for a while now, finally made an account a little while ago, and this is my first post... Nice to be here! I hope I can contribute, at the very least, 1/1,000,000th as I've already learned from you all!

That said, I'm another one of the many; holding onto my OG Droid, waiting for a phone that was truly "groundbreaking" before upgrading, and not getting stuck with a Bionic or Thunderbolt or something like that (no offense, owners of aforementioned phones who actually like them...).

As a techie-geek (self-proclaimed), I am the kind of person who is willing to wait an extra month or three for the phone I REALLY WANT to come out, patiently sitting on my (now last) $100 upgrade, with the cash stored away for the specific purpose of a new phone. As a dual-degree college student (Biochemical Engineering and Psychopharmacology), I have not a lot of free time and not a lot of extra cash, as one can probably imagine.
So, I saved $10-20 a week until I had $220 (plus my $100 upgrade, which went into effect ONE DAY before the cut-off where it would've dropped from $100/50 to $60/30), checking here and on Google every day for the last few weeks for updates about the Galaxy Nexus: when it was coming, how much it would cost, 16GB or 32GB, vanilla 4.0 or Samsung-modified 4.0, etc, etc, etc...

I've been fretting like crazy about whether or not I'd keep my unlimited data (have had unlimited 3G data plan since March'10 for my OG Droid) when switching to the 4G Galaxy Nexus, and even after reading a hundred posts saying "YES YES YES", I've read just as many saying "I GOT SCREWED, SCREWED, SCREWED!", and as much as I use my phone's data (I do a lot of web browsing/research), Verizon would have to pry my unlimited data from my cold-dead hands.

So the other day, I went into the local VZW Store and spoke with the manager regarding the Nexus: "When is it coming? How much? When is it going to be here? Is is 16 or 32 GB? Will it be here soon? Is it identical to the GSM model released in Europe? So will it be here on the 11th or the 9th? Can I preorder it or will I have to take my chances on launch day? Speaking of launch day, when will that happen?"
You know, the basic stuff ;)

Anyone, I got around to asking about switching from Unlimited 3G to the Nexus and it's 4G while retaining my Unlimited Data, and he confirmed that YES, I can! Woohoo, yay me! I know that's common knowledge, but it's good to hear it from the company rep himself, you know?

So, then I told them that I was notified of an upgrade ~2 months ago, and that I should have $100 towards a new phone according to what I was told, and can I apply that to the Nexus? He said yes, if it's there, and to let him check on my account... I'm on a family account, five people total, and I was the primary line up until ~18mo ago when my father's work offered us the chance for a 20% discount, so since I'm locked in with my data, I stay on the family plan (plus it's cheaper for me).

He pulls up the computer, looks up my number, and tells me my upgrade balance is $0.00!!! I just about sh1t myself, because I knew it was there... I'd checked, I had snail mail confirming it, and I'd be d@mned if they screwed me out of $100!

My brother, who is a dumb@ss little sh!t (freshman in college), got an HTC Incredible (2?) just like three weeks before the unlimited data went away, so late-May 2011. He has since: dropped the first in a pool (got a replacement), dropped the second in a lake (got a replacement), spilled beer on the third (got a replacement), and just straight up smashed the fourth. After the fourth broken phone in as many months, Verizon was getting upset...
Also, I was wondering why, the last time I saw him before Thanksgiving (about 3 weeks prior), he had a Droid X 2...
I was told that they were sending him a new model, when it turns out, according to the Rep, he REQUESTED a new model because "customer thinks phone is too slow, yet all have been in 100% perfect working condition prior to his damaging them just before replacement-period ended".

Turns out he went to the store, after finding my SS#, and used my $100 credit to get a phone that was, at the time, only $49.95!!!! According to the Rep, it's already been replaced once as well!! I swear I'm going to strangle him! He still gets everything paid for, so he could've gotten a new phone if he'd asked, but instead he takes my upgrade... Now, the only upgrade left out of all 5 phones is a $50 one, and I'm getting grief because "It's not my upgrade to use". Jesus Christ. I called him and told him that either I get my $100 or he'll find that his data is going to very quickly get throttled way back, but nope...

Anyway, I told the VZW Rep that he had been taking his phone swimming with him, and that all the previous times he'd sent in for replacement, it wasn't an unintentional case of water damage... So next time he goes in there, I'll be getting a phone call and it's up to me to determine whether or not he can get a replacement or will have to suffer without a phone or *GASP* pay for it himself! Also, he has been blocked from accessing anything regarding the account, even how much data/texts/min he's used, because I'm not gonna lose my Unlimited Data for that nonsense.

However, after explaining what happened to the Rep, I was told that I could take the current $50 upgrade from the other line (I made him swear to me it wouldn't take away my unlimited data), but that's pretty much it... So I'm kinda f'ed. Poor college student here, overworked and severely underpaid, and my lifeline just got cut in half. Not looking for pity, that's not the point.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do... I WILL be in the store when it opens on the 9th for the phone, and I WILL be leaving with it, but I'd like to take as little of a hit as possible when it comes to the weight of my wallet... Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm a decent negotiator (DVR Service/Showtime/HBO FREE for LIFE, as well as an upgrade from TWC Road Runner 15Mbs "Broadband Turbo" at $39.99/mo to Road Runner 50Mbs "Wideband" for only $49.99/mo for 3yrs, and the Wideband normally goes for $99.95/mo!) Actually, come to think of it, I'm a really good "negotiator"... In the last year, I've gotten: an LG 120hz 55" LED-LCD TV for $975 new-in-box (MSRP was $1995), two pairs of Polk Reference Series Towers (4 total speakers, 6 drivers each) for $135/pair instead of $600/pair, and a Denon 9.3(11.3) Receiver for $1700 instead of $3500, and a lot more that I can't remember... I just figure, I set a price range, and I got in and get the absolute best I can get in that price range, even if it has to be haggled down into it.
Not trying to brag, just trying to say that I'm willing to do what I have to... And haggling over $50 or $100 may seem insignificant when compared to above, but two things: 1- The reason I could afford the above at the time was because I am careful with the little amounts, and 2- PRINCIPLE!!

Whew, sorry about the long-winded post, everyone. I can be a bit, uh, "verbose" at times ;)

Thanks for having me here, and I'm glad to be a part of this kick@ss community!!!

-nleksan

I will say that is one of the best written messages seen on the internet and especially on this forum. Correct us of paragraphs (not run together making people dizzy), and due to that, I read the entire thing.

Only suggestion I would offer is rather cold. That is get your brother to pay the difference or you will have him arrested for fraud. If he used you SS number, it is illegal. But you have to understand, if my brother tried to screw me like that, I would probably beat him to within an inch of his life and still make him pay. Possibly that is why I have not talked with the POS for over twenty years.

Good luck in whatever you do!

SniperDroid

Reaction score

My brother, who is a dumb@ss little sh!t (freshman in college), got an HTC Incredible (2?) just like three weeks before the unlimited data went away...-nleksan

WoW, that was a long way to go... like my Daddy always told me: "Son, if your gonna steal, steal from family! Their less likely to put the Law on 'ya.