Budget-friendly Ice Cream Sandwich Tablets from Coby on sale starting at $179

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
coby-ice-cream-sandwich.jpg

For those looking for an inexpensive Android tablet but want to hold out for one with Ice Cream Sandwich, then there is now an interesting option. The electronics company Coby has six new tablets, and two of them just went on sale. All of them are running Ice Cream Sandwich already factory pre-installed. Their prices range with features and sizes, from $179.99 up to $279.99. They all have nearly identical specs except for sizes, resolution and storage options. They each are using a 1Ghz single-core Cortex 8 CPU and 1GB of RAM, and their screens feature capacitive technology. They each have a MicroSD slot, HDMI and USB ports, and front-facing cameras. The 7-inch and 8-inch models have 4GB storage, while the 10-inch variants have 8GB. Here is a list of the different models:

• Coby MID7042 – 7 inch, 800 x 480 pixel display
  • Coby MID8042 – 8 inch, 800 x 600 pixel display
  • Coby MID9042 – 9 inch, 1280 x 800 pixel display
  • Coby MID9742 – 9.7 inch, 1024 x 768 pixel display
  • Coby MID1042 – 10 inch, 1024 x 600 pixel display
  • Coby MID10245 – 10 inch, 1280 x 800 pixel display
There is one caveat with these devices. As of yet, they only use GetJar for apps. For some reason they do not have official access to the Google Play Store/Android Market, although that may change in the future. Right now, only the MID7042 and MID1042 are available for sale on Coby's website. Supposedly, all of the tablets should start showing up at retail stores fairly soon.

For more discussions on the new Coby Ice Cream Sandwich tablets, feel free to check out our dedicated section over at AndroidTablets.net. You can find it @ Coby Generation 3.

Source: Engadget and CobyUSA

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it wont take long someone will have a way of getting google market on there ..

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wow, so many different resolutions and screen sizes. That has to up production cost for so many different hardware configs.

geoff5093

Reaction score
What is the point in having a 9.7" and two 10" tablets with different screen resolutions?? This is really going to confuse customers.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
Wow, so many different resolutions and screen sizes. That has to up production cost for so many different hardware configs.

What is the point in having a 9.7" and two 10" tablets with different screen resolutions?? This is really going to confuse customers.

the 9.7" and 8" are 4:3 aspect ratio, i see this pleasing every body :) i'd rather have 4:3 on a tablet than 16:9

npro1464

Reaction score
Great, another competitor to the CVS Craig. CVS will have to step up it's game.

Seriously, why would anyone by a piece of junk like this. Splurge for the extra $30 and get an Amazon Kindle Fire. Or wait for the Asus Nexus tablet, which will blow this piece of crap out of the water.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think we need to define what makes something a piece of crap? Is it the build quality? Is it the hardware components? Is it the CPU or speed of the CPU? If this Coby is a Dual core 1.5 Ghz demon, with 1 Gig of ram, maybe that should be good enough for $179.00. Just saying.

I did the whole name brand thing when I was in Elementary school. I don't go there anymore. If I can get a Vizio TV that does everything I need, with good ratings and is half that of the Sony, then so be it. Sure the Sony may have more bling, and more solidly built, but I can live with that.

meishkov

Reaction score
Definitely not a dual core 1.5Ghz, single core 1Ghz, which is last year's technology. I'd gladly buy a vizio TV, would've years ago when they came out. Certain things u can tell the company did their homework on and will be a force to be reckoned with in That respective industry. Colby ain't it in my opinion.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

Edit: I mean Coby, not Colby. See, there should only be one Kobe, and he's on the Lakers already. This tab is a fail.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Well you'll get what you pay for.

This would be pretty neat if:

Raised resolution (WVGA on a 7" display? YUCK)
Upped the CPU to dual core

Honestly though. The resolution kills it for me.

Detonation

Reaction score
If you want a budget ICS tablet, just find a used Touchpad and put CM9 on it. Much better than any of these and you should be able to find one for <$200.