Broke Glass

BluStang05

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]---- this floated around on the Razr support are for awhile with no answers so i thought i would stick it in here to see what happens[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]So like so many, my Razr Maxx wound up with a shattered screen. It spider webbed the whole screen. I can find the "glass only" for a $70 with tools but most people are selling the digitizer and LCD as one. Those are in the $200 rang. On my phone the LCD is still good, to me it doesn't make since to spend $200 on the whole works when the LCD is still good. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The videos on youtube all show replacing the LCD and Glass as one. Is it better to just spend the $200 and buy the LCD and Glass as one? I gusse I am looking at it that I have been carrying my phone for the past 5 days using it like normal and the 1/4inch glass chunks are not falling out at all. So it makes me wonder if the glass and the LCD screen are glued together. Which in my case it would be better to buy the whole works because by the time i get all the glass peiceis apart from the LCD the chances are I will end up scraching or cracking it... what do you all think?[/FONT]

thanks for the help

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes, the two are fused together and it's very difficult to get them apart. Also, since your digitizer is broken, it would be even more difficult.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GoBears

Reaction score
As FoxKat said, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to separate them. You'll most likely will crack the LCD anyway. I would never spend 200 bucks either for a new screen that I would have to install. My advice is to buy a Maxx off Craigslist for around 250. You could then sell yours for well over a 100 bucks even with the cracked screen. You will have a new phone for around 100 bucks out of your pocket and you don't have to monkey around changing out the screen.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
very hard to do i have done it . you must use heat gun and patience and don't forget to buy the tape to seal it, saying that LCD/digitizer combo i would buy . simple fact is it is hard to keep dust and fingerprints off everything.

rainman1914

Reaction score
What is the digitizer exactly? I have a RAZR MAXX with a cracked spider webbed screen. It looks tedious but very possible to take all the glass of, especially if you apply some heat. But i cant find anywhere to buy the glass only. And even of i could, would my phone still work? I have about 1/4th of my glass already off my screen and the 'naked' LCD is still touch sensitive and works fine.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm not the person to give advice on this, but have you considered having moto replace the glass?? Its under 200$ and you retain your warranty .. other than that.. idk.. perhaps corning would sell the glass.. or moto..

GoBears

Reaction score
What is the digitizer exactly? I have a RAZR MAXX with a cracked spider webbed screen. It looks tedious but very possible to take all the glass of, especially if you apply some heat. But i cant find anywhere to buy the glass only. And even of i could, would my phone still work? I have about 1/4th of my glass already off my screen and the 'naked' LCD is still touch sensitive and works fine.

That's because the glass, digitizer and lcd are fused together. Your lcd is not really "naked" it still has the digitizer fused to it. The digitizer is the piece of hardware that registers the change in resistance when you touch the outer glass. Even if you can buy just the glass and not damage the lcd or digitizer picking off the remaining glass, keeping dust out while you assemble it will be difficult. Just too much crap to try and save a few bucks. When the components are fused it makes the device thinner yet more rigid and yep you guessed it....more expensive to repair a broken screen. It's the nature of the beast with thin devices and fused lcds. Peace out.

GoBears

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Not sure how you're getting those prices but a clean esn used maxx goes for 400 here... Tried to buy a maxx for 4 months so I could sell my og razr

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Not sure how you're getting those prices but a clean esn used maxx goes for 400 here... Tried to buy a maxx for 4 months so I could sell my og razr

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The prices for what?? The repair??? Not a replacement device. Lol

rainman1914

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the glass GoBears. I think I am going to give that a shot since my digitizer and my LCD are fine. Anyone ever attempted replacing just the glass on a RAZR MAXX before? My only question is should it be glued to the lcd/digitizer somehow like it was before.

GoBears

Reaction score
Sure thing. It's for the XT910 though so you might want to check compatibility first or look for the XT912 one. I'm not sure if they are identical or not.

GoBears

rainman1914

Reaction score
Sweet. Got it ordered for my xt912. I will post again and let you know how it goes when its fixed.