Bricked after JB

kanuck

Reaction score
Sigh...

Trying to resolve my tethering issue after leaked OTA upgrade to JB ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-general-discussion/239983-tethering-after-jb-update.html ), I deleted some system files. My bad... doing so did no harm in ICS. Should not have taken the chance in JB.

After reboot I'm stuck at the swirling red droid logo. Tried to get into factory reset, but can't get past android exclamation mark (no response to volume up & down, eventually reboots).

Here's what I did, per: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-general-discussion/224932-help-using-droid-4-canada.html
3) Open Root Explorer and go into /system/app folder, press the "mount r/w" button and rename the following files to .2 :
- VzwPhoneService.apk
- VzwPhoneService.odex
- VzwController.apk
- VzwController.odex
- VzwDeviceSetup.apk
- VzwDeviceSetup.odex
- VzwEntitlementService.apk
- VzwEntitlementService.odex
- vzwapnpermission.apk
4) Copy the build.prop using Root explorer to build.prop.2 and edit the build.prop in a text editor with the following changes:
ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc = 0
ro.cdma.home.operator.isnan = 0
ro.mot.lte_on_cdma = 0
ro.cdma.subscription = 0
ro.mot.phonemode.vzw4gphone=0
Save the file an exit, always keep build.prop.2 around just in case you ever need to roll back​

I have backups of the files I messed, obviously, but can't get back in to fix this mess.

Any help?

OP
kanuck

kanuck

Reaction score
Just occurred to me that the phone's probably not charging anymore, but constantly going. Guess I've got a limited time before my battery's dead. Will I be dead in the water then?

GigaJake

Reaction score
Unless you can access the stock recovery to reflash the ota update you're in a world of hurt. No fastboot files yet either. And no safestrap to create a romslot. Not a good position to be in.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
kanuck

kanuck

Reaction score
Unless you can access the stock recovery to reflash the ota update you're in a world of hurt. No fastboot files yet either. And no safestrap to create a romslot. Not a good position to be in.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Sigh... I feared as much. Thanks for the response, hopeless as it may be... :(

OP
kanuck

kanuck

Reaction score
Made some progress, I suppose. After no fewer than a dozen attempts I finally got to the recovery screen, but applying the original OTA updated from SD failed at verifying the current system. Install aborted.

I guess it's much too early for someone to have developed a way to rewind to ICS?

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
AFAIK, as soon as you upgrade to JB, there is no going back to ICS to re-patch to JB, even via SBF. At least, not until someone releases the JB SBF files.

With the JB patch being deployed over the weekend (why is it always over a weekend anyways?) hopefully someone will make some progress on those files so you can revive your phone. :(

Kabilos

Reaction score
I too have bricked my D4. Took it to Verizon and they say that they have never seen it but someone saw a youtube vid of the logo screen spinning for hours.

Which mine did after the update. After 2 hours of spinning I figured something was wrong.

New droid tomorrow :)

locomotive96

Reaction score
I too have bricked my D4. Took it to Verizon and they say that they have never seen it but someone saw a youtube vid of the logo screen spinning for hours.

Which mine did after the update. After 2 hours of spinning I figured something was wrong.

New droid tomorrow :)
You do know the SBF is out now right? :p

Kabilos

Reaction score
Ignore my stupidity. I should have seen this earlier... Now what to do.. this phone is only a few weeks old due to a battery issue..

Keep the few weeeks old phone, reset it to default .. and then root it again, reset up.. or wait for phone tomorrow, and do all of the above without having to worry about reloading it :)

Kabilos

Reaction score
Yeah it's free becuase the warranty is covered becuase VZQ believes it was an error on their part with the update. They do not know that I rooted they have never checked.

Then again, this one is a replacement too because my old one had a serious battery drain issue.