Blur is getting a bad rap.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I saw a droid 2 in the box as a replacement for my d1 I was angry. I thought about all the complaints about blur and how it takes away from the android experience. I wanted to call vzw to complain but did not want to sound ungrateful.
I went crazy looking to root just to get rid of "blur". Finally I calmed down and instead or removing stuff with root explorer, I just froze a few apps with Titanium Backup premium edition. And I played with the device. After using it for a few days I realized motoblur is not that bad. A few people screamed they want vanilla android and every one loses their mind. Now if you played with it and realize its not for you then do what you will with it. But for people complaining about it and have not used it, it is not that bad. Some of the blur widgets I prefer to delete, but I like the other ones. I dont want a blur-less droid 2. Instead I would rather delete the blockbust, amazon, 3g mobile hotspot, and other useless apps and just use the blur widgets I like.

I want to hear from people with the d2, how do you truly feel about motoblur. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be, do you like it, what up..........

Boyd-Droid

Reaction score
I have no problem with Motoblur. But I am a newbie, I've had the phone less than a week and may not know what I'm talking about.

bizzshow

Reaction score
Got my d1 on launch day was upgraded to the d2 and I must say blur isn't bad at all my biggest beg is against the launcher which can be slow. But the ability to resize widgets out ways the slow drawer

brendanb

Reaction score
I admit I had a bit of a ***** fit knowing the D2 wouldn't be stock Froyo, but once I got down to using blur and the new launcher/widgets, I definitely like it. Once you remove some of the bloat, things are smooth and quick.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well i did not want to remove any apps because it seems to fail check when you do a system update (had that last week) so instead of removing them I used titanium and freeze the apps. It work just as good for me IMO.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Freezing the apps does not remove it completely because you can find it if you go to settings, manage apps, all. But it disables the app and removes it from the app drawer.

Dragoro

Reaction score
I came from a droid 1, but after getting droid 2, I prefer motoblur.

arrjaytea

Reaction score
Add another to the "I don't understand the fuss about Blur" bandwagon.

I don't use most (read: any) widgets, and I don't have shortcuts to any bloatware on my main screens.

If I could 86 the BB and Amazon apps entirely, it'd be nice, but they're out of the way - so until I feel like pulling the trigger on a root, I'm happy with my phone.

dast

Reaction score
Blur is working pretty good for me. Just remove the widgets you don't like and freeze the apps you don’t like.

sorapp

Reaction score
My Droid 2 is my 1st smartphone in several years. Compared to the old days this is a huge improvement. Most importantly, unlike the old days, everything works. I'm not even sure what Motoblur is, but I just got rid of the widgets I didn't need and all is well. There are many apps in the drawer that I don't use, but I just ignore them.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My Droid 2 is my 1st smartphone in several years. Compared to the old days this is a huge improvement. Most importantly, unlike the old days, everything works. I'm not even sure what Motoblur is, but I just got rid of the widgets I didn't need and all is well. There are many apps in the drawer that I don't use, but I just ignore them.

You might like launcherpro. You can hide apps you do not use.

Syraz

Reaction score
I was like you when my replacement droid came and was a brand new droid 2, then was on fence, now I love it. I removed crap I didnt need. but the Blur launcher/dockbar I really like. Though might switch back to LPP because I prefer 5 screens to 7. I only use calendar widget and overall great experience...

When I saw a droid 2 in the box as a replacement for my d1 I was angry. I thought about all the complaints about blur and how it takes away from the android experience. I wanted to call vzw to complain but did not want to sound ungrateful.
I went crazy looking to root just to get rid of "blur". Finally I calmed down and instead or removing stuff with root explorer, I just froze a few apps with Titanium Backup premium edition. And I played with the device. After using it for a few days I realized motoblur is not that bad. A few people screamed they want vanilla android and every one loses their mind. Now if you played with it and realize its not for you then do what you will with it. But for people complaining about it and have not used it, it is not that bad. Some of the blur widgets I prefer to delete, but I like the other ones. I dont want a blur-less droid 2. Instead I would rather delete the blockbust, amazon, 3g mobile hotspot, and other useless apps and just use the blur widgets I like.

I want to hear from people with the d2, how do you truly feel about motoblur. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be, do you like it, what up..........

MrKleen

Reaction score
There are things I like about it but I would like it better if I had more control.

pathfin9

Reaction score
I thought I wouldnt like it as well, but I use LauncherPro, so its not as bad. The only thing that bothers me is the way the contacts are set up. I much prefer the stock android setup, especially with how it handles facebook contacts, and groups. Hopefully a custom rom will fix that.

-John

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought I wouldnt like it as well, but I use LauncherPro, so its not as bad. The only thing that bothers me is the way the contacts are set up. I much prefer the stock android setup, especially with how it handles facebook contacts, and groups. Hopefully a custom rom will fix that.

-John

+1 on that, I hate how it handles contacts. I wish it just allowed you to sync with existing contacts only. I am not saying some thing about blur couldn't be improved, but I think the notion of throwing it out is a big jump. I like the messaging, facebook/twitter, weather, and calendar widget. The picture widget is ok. I removed the contacts widget though.