Moto Blur Haters... LOL!!

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the X and so many people dissing Moto Blur so badly that Moto had to create this "ninja Blur" ui which may or may not be any better who knows...

All this got me wondering a few things:
1. why do Droid users hate mb so much? it's not even on the Droid.
2. MB slows down updates? okay, what motor blur phone has needed an update that the hardware itself wasn't mainly the issue?
3. the Backflip has Moto Blur it will be upgraded to 2.1 next month.
4. Don't these software compatibility issues always get better over time...? is it not conceivable that one day you can have motor blur and an update that are compatible?

It's not like the 2.1 update thing for vanilla Droid went all that smoothly...
Seriously I'm really just curious about this commotion that seems to follow "blur"... can someone breakdown blur's victims in the last say year?

Thanks

J

Johnly

I bet most of the Motoblur haters have never owned a Motoblur phone! Ninja blur looks nice, but Motorola listened and now I think you can shut of ninja blur and run the desert version of Google. Good night haters, lol~!

Reaction score
I bet most of the Motoblur haters have never owned a Motoblur phone! Ninja blur looks nice, but Motorola listened and now I think you can shut of ninja blur and run the desert version of Google. Good night haters, lol~!

If you can do that I am all in on the Droid X! Can someone confirm this?

eliassami5

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the X and so many people dissing Moto Blur so badly that Moto had to create this "ninja Blur" ui which may or may not be any better who knows...

All this got me wondering a few things:
1. why do Droid users hate mb so much? it's not even on the Droid.
Its unnecessary fluff and it dosent even look that good, its targeted towards teenagers and the majority of people dont even keep the motoblur widgets on their screens.
2. MB slows down updates? okay, what motor blur phone has needed an update that the hardware itself wasn't mainly the issue?
i dont get what you are saying here..
3. the Backflip has Moto Blur it will be upgraded to 2.1 next month.
And you just proved everybody's point...weve had 2.1 for how long and the devour is JUST getting the update.
4. Don't these software compatibility issues always get better over time...? is it not conceivable that one day you can have motor blur and an update that are compatible?
Who said that they were not compatible?? It just takes time for developers of motoblur to make the new updates "mesh" with their skin. With gingerbread coming google is aiming to eliminate the need for manufacturers like HTC and Motorola, and etc to put a skin on top of android. Therefore streamlining the update process which will decrease fragmentation since all android phones will be able to receive a particular update at about the same time.

It's not like the 2.1 update thing for vanilla Droid went all that smoothly...
Seriously I'm really just curious about this commotion that seems to follow "blur"... can someone breakdown blur's victims in the last say year?

Thanks

10char................

Darkseider

Reaction score
It's the slowdown in updates to the OS that's the issue. Same goes for Sense UI. I don't believe the problem is with the features and/or functionality as much as it is the extra time it takes to get OS updates to the devices. Simply put the Backflip, which my wife has, will be getting 2.1 sometime in Q3 according to Motorola. By that time the Droid and N1 will have the official Froyo. Also worth mentioning that hardware is a non-factor when it comes to updating to Eclair or Froyo. A G1 can run either and run it well for the aging device that it is.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
If you can turn off Blur then it's great.. gives the user the choice.
If Blur cannot be turned off then I would be reluctant to buy the device.

But it dosent effect me at all, I wont be in the market for a new phone untill august of next year at the earliest :)

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want Android just as Google intended. I don't want Motorola's version. Luckily, this is why we have options. If you want a phone with MotoBlur, go buy one? I guess I'm not seeing the problem here. Everyone has their personal preferences.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's terrific that OEM's want to put their own frackins spin on the phones, but it is an Android, let google take care of us (and dev's) and stick to the hardware.

OP
S

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's terrific that OEM's want to put their own frackins spin on the phones, but it is an Android, let google take care of us (and dev's) and stick to the hardware.

I doubt that if anyone in here were to build their OWN line of phones they would want to put some of their OWN signatures on it... now they should be wise to make sure it doesnt affect the performance of the phone itself but, they will all be better over time... and i'm sure a little extra work will have to be done by google as well.

I just hate to see so many people gang up on something especially when i couldn't see any REAL basis..

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
All UIs put on top of Android from the phone's manufacturer will delay updates. It just will. It has happened numerous times with HTC's Sense and as soon as Motorola starts putting it on their high end Android phones, we will see the same thing. Moto Blur is not a person and doesn't have feelings, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over people speaking negatively about it.

pyro6128

Reaction score
yea the op kinda answered his/her own questions. With motoblur you have to wait for Motorola to make it compatible with new updates which will slow the process. Without motoblur, you can get it once the carrier or moto optimizes the update for the phone. Also, I'm not sure if motoblur is the same as sense, but its an unnecessary drain on the phones resources, not to mention it prob drains the battery a bit faster having all the fluff on there (as evidenced by the incredibles terrible battery life)

rooroo469

Reaction score
Two simple options

MOTOBLUR is a great idea. However at&t made it WAY too restrictive. All they would need to do is let you delete all the garbage Apps that are included in MOTOBLUR AND give you a simple on/off toggle for the MOTOBLUR stuff. Just like you log on to facebook on your computer and do whatever you do on facebook then you get to LOG OFF. It's that simple. Give the Backflip a chance. It's a nice phone for free!

Oh yeah and let you NOT have to use Yahoo for default search. I guess that's Three simple options

HCdroid

Reaction score
I agree with the previous posters in regards to the slow down of the update process by having a manufacturers UI on top of Vanilla. Android OS has been updated quite frequently over the past year and we want these updates ASAP..

To quote Andy Rubin: "Our product cycle is now, basically twice a year, and it will probably end up being once a year when things start settling down"

So the argument of a Manufacturer's UI getting in the way of updates will probably become a moot point once updates start to roll on a yearly basis.

Google promises slowdown in Android OS iteration