Bluetooth Music Connection Skipping

cameronf

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just picked up a Bluetooth receiver that connects to my car's Aux port. Connecting works fine. Stays connected.

The problem is when playing music. It skips an awful lot during songs. Glitches for half a second then the music continues. Sometimes it'll go a couple seconds between these skips, other times it will go a dozen or more seconds between skips.

Plugging directly from headphone output to aux port in car there's no skipping. Never have had the problem with this connection style before I got the BT option.

Tested with an iPhone today and had zero issues.

Any ideas how to diagnose? I have killed many apps in background and doesn't fix it. Disabled WiFi changed nothing.

Thanks for any help.
-Cameron

redneckben

Reaction score
Did you take the new update? That's supposed to have some fixes in it, and also I used ROM toolbox pro and set a memory minimum that was really aggressive that could have been what it was too Idk.

OP
C

cameronf

Reaction score
Did you take the new update? That's supposed to have some fixes in it, and also I used ROM toolbox pro and set a memory minimum that was really aggressive that could have been what it was too Idk.

I was able to get the update last night. Tested this morning and still skips. I'm somewhat convinced it's an app working in the background that causes it.

When starting a song, its usually fine for several seconds. Then it comes in a batch of skips, several times in short sequence.

OP
C

cameronf

Reaction score
I tried something new: I put the phone in safe mode and started streaming music to the BT receiver -- no skips.

That must limit the issue to an app, right?

imrunninon

Reaction score
Issues happen when using spotify and poweramp playing music it will skip... short pause every now and then. Even with the new update which was supposed to fix some Bluetooth problems everything is the same. Bluetooth will go out randomly as if it is disconnected yet it is still connected shows its connected music shows its playing yet no audio is being streamed.. and this is with multiple bluetooth audio players. It will even disconnect every now and then as if something with the device has broken and won't allow Bluetooth to operate at all. Very frustrated.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I tried something new: I put the phone in safe mode and started streaming music to the BT receiver -- no skips.

That must limit the issue to an app, right?

That is correct. The skipping is due to one or more apps that is using system resources or data communications and interfering with the operation of the music app or limiting the app access to the data network. You made the first smart troubleshooting effort. Now it's a process of elimination to identify what app or apps is/are interfering.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Is the music actually skipping? That is, going to another part of the song? Or is the volume temporarily being muted? (For like a half-second or less, while the music plays at normal speed.) I ask because I had the problem where the volume of the music while using Google Music player as well as PowerAmp would abruptly mute and then come back on full volume. I did a simulated battery pull and the problem went away.

OP
C

cameronf

Reaction score
Is the music actually skipping? That is, going to another part of the song? Or is the volume temporarily being muted? (For like a half-second or less, while the music plays at normal speed.) I ask because I had the problem where the volume of the music while using Google Music player as well as PowerAmp would abruptly mute and then come back on full volume. I did a simulated battery pull and the problem went away.

The volume is temporarily being muted.

I will try the simulated battery pull today and report back.

selicos

Reaction score
The volume is temporarily being muted.

I will try the simulated battery pull today and report back.

Was the OP ever able to figure out what application was interfering with the audio playback?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
From my experience, rebooting the phone when the skipping occurs has fixed my issue. I still don't know why this works, but it's what I have to do to stop the skipping.
This is true for Power Amp, Google Music, or Amazon MP3.

OP
C

cameronf

Reaction score
Was the OP ever able to figure out what application was interfering with the audio playback?

I was not. Ended up getting a Moto X which solved it. :-/

4.4 came through a couple weeks ago -- not sure if that fixed it. I was convinced it was not a specific app, but a OS issue.

-Cameron

switang

Reaction score
I update the bluetooth timeout and performed the sim-batt; this removed my lag issues (which seemed to not be network related).