Bloatware still here after renaming to bak

Hobn

Reaction score
I used root explorer to rename the bloatware apks to baks, referring to a list of apps that are safe to remove, but even after reboots the apps are still running and in my app drawer.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used root explorer to rename the bloatware apks to baks, referring to a list of apps that are safe to remove, but even after reboots the apps are still running and in my app drawer.

Renaming them will make it so they don't run. I noticed some lingering in app

drawer myself. I freeze them with paid version of Titanium Backup. They aren't

there anymore.

Which apps specifically are still there in yours?

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
Nearly every one, from Skype to social networking, although the games are gone.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
some of those apps are located in /data/apps, but those are usually updates. The app that dont' go away after you rename them in /data/apps are usually in /system/apps. They may be named differently too. Rename them in there and they will go away.

I used a free app on the market called AndroidMate that gives you the ability to see the properties of an app that includes the actual file name and location in the file structure.

Hope that helps.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
some of those apps are located in /data/apps, but those are usually updates. The app that dont' go away after you rename them in /data/apps are usually in /system/apps. They may be named differently too. Rename them in there and they will go away.

I used a free app on the market called AndroidMate that gives you the ability to see the properties of an app that includes the actual file name and location in the file structure.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for adding that, since I forgot too :)

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
If they are still there it is possible that they have been updated. When system apps get updated from the market those updates are installed in /data/app/ so technically there are two versions on your phone. Android by default uses the most recent version.

Try the manage applications feature and uninstalling updates

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

johnny9374

Reaction score
do they open when you touch the icon?what launcher are you using?i know if you freeze them the icons will still be there at least for me they were im using adw when i restarted adw they went away

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
Ok, managed to uninstall Skype, but I couldn't find social networking in data/apps, I was renaming apks in system originally. I would also like to get rid of the stock music app and such, but it isn't in my running apps list so it doesn't really matter. If you guys know of a comprehensive list of safe apps, that would be nice.

johnny9374

Reaction score
BackupAssistantClient.apk[/B], HelpCenter.apk or ANY files starting with "Blur" [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Here's a list of apps you might want to remove. Remember, these filenames are CASE SENSITIVE.

• CarDock.apk
  • CityID.apk
  • MyVerizon.apk
  • Skype_mobile.live.apk
  • Vvm.apk
  • WorkContacts.apk
  • amazonmp3_1.7.22_signed_zipaligned.apk
  • Blockbuster.apk
  • Mynet.apk (3G Mobile Hotspot)
  • MotoGAL.apk (Corporate Directory)
If you renamed the Backupassistantclient.apk, you can change it back by reversing the filenames above. If you've deleted it, steven.rn was kind enough to upload a copy: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/at...w-remove-bloatware-backupassistanceclient.zip[/QUOTE]

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
I'm using Go Launcher, and I can still launch social networking.

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
And it seems I actually removed most of the bloatware, and only basic stock apps like texting, email, social networking, and voice commands remain. Is it safe to remove those? I plan on using k9 for email, handcent for text, poweramp for music, and completely eliminating voice commands as I never use or have use for them.

xliderider

Reaction score
Just remember, or hope you never need to do a Factory Data Reset, with extensive System file modification, you run the risk of having issues should you ever do a Factory Data Rest command.

So if you ever get into trouble, skip the FDR and just restore to a previous backup, run the maderstock.zip file, or flash an sbf.

CxUNG

Reaction score
Just a suggestion but why dont you juss freeze them usuing Ti backup?

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

bgman512

Reaction score
Note on Pre cache and .dex files

I had trouble getting rid of My Verizon and ZumoCast - It seems if a few of these bloatware are Pre-cached in the /data/dalvik-cache/ they will still live even after moving/renaming their .apk/.odex counterparts. Clearing this cache removed them after reboot.

Dalvik-cache was made to fast load apps, It is okay to clear. It will respawn with apps that are found in /system/app/ and /data/app after reboot to once again fast load whats found.

Tested on Droid 3.

I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the Mobile Hotspot app =\

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And it seems I actually removed most of the bloatware, and only basic stock apps like texting, email, social networking, and voice commands remain. Is it safe to remove those? I plan on using k9 for email, handcent for text, poweramp for music, and completely eliminating voice commands as I never use or have use for them.

Did you make a good nandroid backup before you started renaming things? If not, you are going to have a tough time getting every thing renamed and operating when there are future updates (assuming there will be future updates).

I will second the recommendation to get Titanium and use it to freeze apps. It will unfreeze them at a touch of a button.

Good luck.