2.2 and bloatware

strunker

Reaction score
I don't see an issue with removing them entirely from the rom. You can do a search for all the apks you dont want, remove them, then rezip. I will likely try this later on when I am home and have more time to play around.

Unless there is some type of file size check(which would fail since a bunch of the .apks just wouldnt be there), or some type of check to look at the names of files in that system/app folder I dont see why I cant do it this way and just remove them so they are never flashed along with the rom to begin with.

WTB 2.2 root...

I guess I can always downgrade this back to 2.1(which seems more complex than the root itself), root it, then put 2.2 back on...

strunker

Reaction score
removing the apks from the rom produces an error message from the recovery console..

Failed to verify whole-file signature
signature verification failed

so there is some kind of check involved. I am not sure how to circumnavigate this or even if i should try.

RnD_Solo

Reaction score
its prolly a md5 check...just load it all, then go back in and

adb shell
rm .apk .apk .apk etc etc

strunker

Reaction score
ty for the response. not sure how to go about doing that. I deleted the files directly out of the zip. not like I extracted them and rebuilt the zip or anything.

saildog

Reaction score
Removed VZ Navigator Cr*p/bloat:

com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk

Droid X/Froyo/2.2/Rooted - everything works fine.....

Except now those context menus (like in GMail) where it used to come up annoyingly now show something moronic like a browser icon.

Does anyone know how to bring back my Google Navigator icon in these context menus (like from Google places)??? 2.2 replaced them with VZ Crapigator....

T-R

Reaction score
Hello,
I already got rid of these, but I have couple of questions...
amazonmp3_1.7.22_signed_zipaligned.apk
Blockbuster.apk
Calculator.apk
CityID.apk
ClockWidget.apk
cmas.apk
com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk
GenieWidget.apk
HelpCenter.apk
LiveWallpapers.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
MessagesWidget.apk
Mynet.apk
NewsWidget.apk
PhotoWidget.apk
Protips.apk
redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk
Skype_mobile.live.apk
SocialMessaging.apk
StatusWidget.apk
StickyNoteWidget.apk
Talk.apk
VisualizationWallpapers.apk
Vvm.apk
WeatherWidget.apk
1. How do you get rid of "Social Networking" Motorola widget?
2. What are these apks (I don't want to touch them w/out knowing what they are):
Conversations.apk
FriendFeed.apk
SocialShare.apk
Stk.apk
Thanks!

Edit: Just learned that FriendFeed.apk is this stupid Social Networking Motorola widget. Still need to know what other 3 apks are...

MattRendall

Reaction score
conversations.apk is the stock messaging app. So if youre like me and your use handcent or some other messaging app, you can delete it. I did

mikey4226

Reaction score
I have "frozen" amazon mp3 with titanium backup, but it still shows up in my app drawer. Anyone know how to fix this?