Blackberry vs Android

brooklyn2710

Reaction score
I am trying to convince my friends to get off the "Blackberry trends" and get an Android-powered device. They keep telling me "BB Messenger is so cool". I know that Blackberry does better on email, but what else are the significant between the 2. Like pro and cons for each.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am trying to convince my friends to get off the "Blackberry trends" and get an Android-powered device. They keep telling me "BB Messenger is so cool". I know that Blackberry does better on email, but what else are the significant between the 2. Like pro and cons for each.

Well, I had a Storm. So for me it was a couple of little things. Like the fact that I didn't have to click the screen. The browser smokes blackberry. I didn't have to worry about app memory. I stopped having to have to do daily battery pulls.

I had a ton of apps to choose from as opposed to Blackberry's app store. Better OS support. No phone resets.

BBM is nice, but we have Google Talk and that works quite well thank you. Oh yes and the fact that it's a google phone and I had everything on Google anyway. Sweet.

I still have my Storm. It's been a great paper weight for the past 8 months or so. :D

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I think this discussion begins and ends with email. The Droid is SOOOOO much better in every other facet.

Depending on your corp IT policy, the email may not be a big issue. It doesn't sync like the BB which is a minor nuisance (I can't seem to get my deletions and read/unread between Gmail and Corp mail to sync with my Droid). Otherwise, Pure Messenger and Android Agenda provide great integration of multiple emails and calendars.

cromo8

Reaction score
they dont even compare, BBM is the only thing that BB has thats better, so far....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My X does Email just as well if not better than Blackberry....I am not dependent on a 3rd party (RIM) for email either....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No more RIM outages (Oh how I loved those days... it wasn't the network that was down, it was RIMs servers. Big reason I left BB)

No daily battery pulls.

No free memory leaks.

A real app store (Market) Not the joke of one BB has.

An attractive UI completely customizable.

Widgets on an Android phone.

Customization.... apps... no outages.... I could go on.

Can you tell I was a Blackberry convert? :) LOL

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have a Droid X and a BB World Tour (this is my work phone) - I would choose my Droid everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Yes BB has its own IM platform however, there is an app in the market called KIK messenger that can be downloaded on the Droid & BB so that you can crossplatform msg (IM) to those on a BB - all parties on KIK have to have the app dl'd & installed.

The Droid is better at web browsing and IMO is an easier phone to use & navigate with while browsing. The web page views are like looking at a computer (however, you can choose mobile views).

I like being able to customize my phone which is somewhat limited on a BB outside of wallpaper and a few themes.

However, each his own but for me, I choose DROID.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am trying to convince my friends to get off the "Blackberry trends" and get an Android-powered device. They keep telling me "BB Messenger is so cool".
If they really think that BBM is the killer app then leave them be...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
BBM was something I missed til I discovered gtalk. It's the same thing .... and even better... you don't have to have an Android phone.

gtalk is available to download on a BB. :)

OP
B

brooklyn2710

Reaction score
I agree. Had the Blackberry Storm and I had to pull my battery nearly twice a day. Also, since it lacks any kind of memory, I could never run more than one program at the same time. And the battery (at least for the BB storm) was HORRIBLE. I honestly got less than a day on that phone. But isn't Blackberry a more secure phone? Like isn't it harder to hack into one than any other phoen?

sc4fpse

Reaction score
BBM was something I missed til I discovered gtalk. It's the same thing .... and even better... you don't have to have an Android phone.

gtalk is available to download on a BB. :)

Exactly! I never owned a Blackberry before my Droid (although I bought a used Storm 2 and took it to Russia with me recently... Never. Again. >_< Horrible phone, horrible OS.), but I understand and witnessed the love connection that many people had with BBM. But you're exactly right. Google Talk is just like BBM, but you don't even need a Blackberry to use it. Hell, I just open iGoogle as my home page on my laptop and talk to my friend on his phone a lot. No Android phone required for me! :)

Of course, I do use it on my Droid. It's perfect! Unlike AIM or other IM apps, it uses push notifications, so it's not constantly polling a server and killing the battery life. But it's always on! It's epic, to say the least.

EdisonCheug

Reaction score
as for a BB
con: i think its quality is poor...
pro: the message function is cool indeed.
to buy which? that depends.
if your friend has to do many important business via e-mail, a BB is neccesary.
and if he telephones more, BB hasn't the advantage.

methalaclark

Reaction score
I like android os more than any other because it runs on a non-Sun Java Virtual Machine called Dalvik. Android's development environment is also very nice, and mostly well documented. Moreover BlackBerry also has a large, well-established user base. So i think both are good and useful.

Downr@nge

Reaction score
How does Gtalk compare to Meebo? When I was on the iPhone, we had ktalk which was a gtalk-like app but it didn't have corrective or predictive text which made it a SERIOUS PITA. I haven't tried Talk on my EVO yet but was wondering if anyone used both, how do they compare to each other?