the android vs iphone debate

bigd87

Reaction score
Im doing a persuasive essay for one of my classes and I want to do mine on iphone vs androids.
Are there any converts out there that can give me some pros and cons between the 2?

Snoking

Reaction score
Yes, one is sold by a single coolaid vendor and the other is sold by many vendors that compete with each other plus the coolaid vendor for our business.

Chris

OP
B

bigd87

Reaction score
Thank you for your wise words my droid master Chris

shwetamishra

Reaction score
Hardware is that the initial place that the variations between the iPhone and mechanical man become clear. Apple is that the solely company that creates iPhones, giving it extraordinarily tight management over however the package and hardware work along. On the opposite hand, Google offers its mechanical man package to several phone manufacturers (Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola, among others, provide mechanical man phones). As a result, mechanical man phones vary quite an bit in size, weight, features, user expertise, and quality.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Service after the sale.
Apple offers Apple stores for support. They do an excellent job. Android offers where you bought your device from. Customer service can vary greatly.
As an Ipad convert I can attest Apple offers a very straight forward product. You know what to expect and that's what you get. That can be good or bad, depending on your needs/wants. In my case it was bad. I needed more capabilities, that were expensive to fill with via itunes. Having to BUY browsera to upload files, another to handle certain types of content, and the Ipad defaulting to the stock browser without ability to switch to an aftermarket is one example of why I switched. My wants, beyond not wanting a screen that looked like everyone elses, were the ability to install files without having an os decide my needs and wants for me, the ability to get my media from a source I choose vs being enslaved to itunes either by cord or wireless ankle bracelet. The lack of true multi tasking was infuriating.
My wife prefers the simplicity and decide your wants for you of ios. She surfs the web, plays some games and checks her email. I use my Tab as a desktop replacement along with surfing, game playing, email checks.
When using ios I needed my desktop almost daily. With my Android tablet my desktop gets used very very infrequently now by me. Android tablets don't have the oomph of a power machine but they come a lot closer to a Windows experience and capability than ios.
An ipad is an iphone with a bigger screen and better camera that makes phone calls, fine for texters and web surfers but for true smartphone capability, again using your smartphone as a mini office portal, Android shines brightest.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Last edited:

Fonzz

Reaction score
I wish the internet was around when I was in school so I could have random strangers help me complete my assignments! :biggrin:

OP
B

bigd87

Reaction score
Fonzz said:
I wish the internet was around when I was in school so I could have random strangers help me complete my assignments! :biggrin:

Thanks for the great responses but I had to address you fonzz. Ha yeah its great. Im glad I waited to go back to school and just so you feel a little better; I still need 3 academic sources and I don't even know the full assignment. I just want to see what im workin with maybe get an outline in my head, brainstorm a little. None of my friends or anyone in my family have androids. They are all apple people. All of em. So sad

aimeeinohio

Reaction score
As an Ipad convert I can attest Apple offers a very straight forward product. You know what to expect and that's what you get. That can be good or bad, depending on your needs/wants.

THIS ^^^^

I loved loved loved my iPhone, iPad, iPods, and MacBook Pro....yes, I have been an Apple geek for a very long time. But, I got
very....bored with the system and how nothing.ever.changes.

I went from iPhone to the Galaxy S3 and I really like this phone. I'm glad I made the switch, even with my frustrations at times
figuring out things. There are some things I miss about iProducts, but the good has certainly outweighed the things I miss. :p
The internet works so much better, phone is faster, etc, etc.

I am working on selling my MacBook Pro...I need a new lap top, but I DO NOT like what they've done to the new ones, so I'll be
going back to PC. *sigh*

benny1984

Reaction score
Apple is a simple system capable of doing whatever apple wants you to do. I have owned every Iphone from 3 to the Iphone 5. After purchasing the 5 I realized that I have spent over 2800.00 on phones that's operating system has pretty much been the same since day 1. After realizing this I became interested in what the Android had to offer. I purchased the galaxy s3 and this phone does things that I used to wait for in a jailbreak with Iphone. In my honest opinion apple was the original touchscreen phone that started the hype, now I find apple is just that... Hype. People purchase the Iphone just to say they have it.... It's more of a status symbol than an operating device. In my opinion Samsung puts in more effort to really let the user be original and creative with their device as well as functional. Apple still holds the king of the smartphone in sales but not a chance in performance. My two cents

aimeeinohio

Reaction score
I really don't see the iPhone as a status symbol anymore since kids have them and you can get them at Walmart now.

benny1984

Reaction score
aimeeinohio said:
I really don't see the iPhone as a status symbol anymore since kids have them and you can get them at Walmart now.

Yeah just my opinion. Seems to me like when you ask someone why they upgraded from 4s to a 5 the answer is always ummmm well uhhh... When you ask a real android user why they upgraded from the s2 to the s3 you best make sit down and clear your schedule cause they will go into details.. Then show you lol. Just what I've noticed anyways. DROID users seem to know their stuff

kellymark97

Reaction score
I have Galaxy S3 , and a Iphone 4s for work. And i would take the galaxy any day. Everything is just so much easier on a android phone. I have found every app i have ever wanted.

happycheeto

Reaction score
iPhone Pros:
1.its very easy to switch portrait orientation and you don't have to go all the way to settings
2. Group messaging makes a lot of sense and is easy to configure and control.
3. Picture text messages are automatically downloaded and save time
4. When opening pdfs out of an internet browser is shows you the preview on a new tab and then you have the option of downloading
5. You can change the volume and vibrate settings without having to unlock the phone
6. Much less worry about viruses
7. Less privacy concerns because almost nothing is ever saved and if it is deleting is extremely easy
8. You can copy and paste from ANY app the same way.
9. The iPhone automatically detects if you are in an app like maps or TomTom and won't shut down or interrupt you so you don't have issues while driving and using your phone
10. iPhone back up is easier and faster in my opinion but for this point I can see arguments either way
11. More apps and significantly fewer app problems or compatability issues.
12. The cost is stable. If you buy an iPhone today with a contract, two years later you should have no problem reselling it for the same or a higher price.
13. No bloatware.
14. Ads are not nearly as big a problem in iPhone apps. An android app has the capability to spam your phone with ads and its annoying.
15. Email and gmail are in one app not two.
16. Far fewer confusing folders. I just want my pictures in one place! I'll manually make folders if I want them. Android just does it.
17. Watching videos is MUCH easier. I don't have to press "full screen" and I don't have to press "play" and it doesn't keep running if I leave the video screen. I don't know why android assumes I'd like to read while watching a tiny barely noticeable video.
18. There is no annoying "choose input" keyboard notification every time I use the keyboard.
19. Voicemail system. When I saw I had to pay Verizon monthly for an extremely simple system that comes by default on all iPhones it was a turn off.
20. User dictionary is easier to use and ability to swap words for short cuts is awesome.
21. You can buy music or other things on the iPhone using iTunes gift cards that are everywhere! No tax on those too.

Android Pros:
1. I can put my app anywhere I want!
2. Widgets.
3. If I don't like the stock app, there is likely a replacement app somewhere and I can choose to make that me replacement.
4. I can choose my web browser. (With the iPhone the default will ALWAYS be safari and that can't change unless you jailbreak it)
5. Ability to disable apps. If I could delete bloat ware though I'd be much happier. It is kind of annoying having to disable them.
6. I can close open apps faster. Of course some processes still run in the background and I have to go close them manually in settings..
7. Making ringtones is so much easier.
8. You don't have to go through iTunes.
9. Adding files to your phone is easy.
10. Everything is easily synced with Google.
11. Larger screens on some phones.
12. More carrier choices
13. I love the emphasis on pictures and how they show with text messages.
14. Google maps.
15. Live wallpapers.
16. You don't have to sign in to download free apps and can download apps without using your phone.
17. The android robot is cute. Admit it :D <3
18. A lot more free apps to go explore.
19. Sometimes when playing games on the iPhone, I felt like a cash cow not even a player. EVERYHING coated some kind of in app purchase. Mostly targeted towards very young children who would use their parents credit cards. I found out Google only recently added in app purchases, but they generated a hatred from me towards games on my phone.. I don't even try them anymore.
20. Vibrate on touch is fun sometimes when using the keyboard.
21. I like having a back button that's always at the same place.

That's all I can think of right now... honestly iPhones and android based phones are both great in their own way! :) I think everyone should try both at some point in their lives before deciding on one to stick with.

Edit: I will fix my grammar later. I wrote this all on my phone and autocorrect sucks.

Last edited: