Bionic, waiting patiently, but worried

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So like many other Droid 1 release buyers, I've been patiently waiting to upgrade to the Bionic. The OG has been a great phone, my first smart phone and has gotten me hooked into the "hobby" as I feel it's become. But, I'd like to upgrade, it's getting a bit slow and the bulk is bothering me a bit, while I watch other phones slim down.

We're told Q2 for the Bionic, but still no recent news about it's release date, as we head into May.

The Thunderbolt hasn't interested me for some reason, I hear it's a great phone though and the LTE speeds seem pretty impressive.

When the Droid came out, I wasn't paying attention to how long, prior to the actual date, that they actually mentioned a release date.

So, is there an industry standard, say, at least a month in advance that a new phone will be announced to be arriving? Or could we hear next week that it will be released later this month?

I know most of the answers will be speculation, but I'm interested in how prior release dates have been revealed and if any patterns have been followed, maybe with the Droid 2, Droid X ect...

Thanks guys,

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Moto has said the Bionic is delayed. Problems with LTE (which we've seen with the TBolt, and the LTE conversion has also been pushed back on the Xoom).

Now, Moto is saying "summer" for the Bionic (which is actually being refreshed before release, and rumored to now be the Targa).

I'll point out, however, that Q2 and summer overlap by about 10 days, so fingers crossed.

OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I guess I had read about the rehash turning it into the Targa. It seems strange we got to see the Bionic so long ago, which looked pretty refined and now it's delayed and may be completely changed.

As for specific release dates, in the past, do we usually get a month notice prior to a release? Lets say for the Droid X, can anyone point out when it was said "release date Month X Day X" and how long that was prior to the actual date it was able to be purchased.

Just interested in how that has worked in the past with motorola.

Thanks for the info Kodiak.

Detonation

Reaction score
Seems like now a days its only a few days before we get an official date and press release from Verizon. People that follow tech and droid sites may know a little sooner, but those are always rumors and change often.

From what I can find online, the OG Droids mysterious commercials started airing on 10/17 and it was officially revealed on the 28th with an 11/6 release date. And the Droid X was announced on 6/23 and it came out on 7/15. So basically three weeks for both of those for official announcements.

However, the Incredible 2 that just came out on the 28th wasn't official until the 26th. And the Charge was only announced a week in advance, though its now been put on hold without anymore more info.

So I guess to answer your question, there isn't much you can go off of right now. Verizon continues to be very hush and hush and just drop devices on us without much official word. Seems like they'd just rather wait to reveal it until its already on sale. So you really just need to follow sites like this and hope for accurate rumors like everyone else does.

Last edited:
OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Detonation,

Thanks for the specific dates, was exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to get some idea about how things have been done in the past, since I wasn't following them closely like I have the Bionic/Targa'.

Looks like we continue the waiting game =P

Thanks again.

Graymayre

Reaction score
Anyone notice Bionic disappeared from Moto front page?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I got my eyes on the galexy s 2.

As long as you know that the GS2 will not be 4G...

This is the Latest from Black_Man_X!!! What he wrote this morning about GS2: I am actually using an S2 with an ATT sim.. as I said on twitter there is NO way current LTE radio will fit in this device along with evdo radio. So if and when product starts planning it will be a 3g device or the device will love this amazing thinness it has. but with the charge just hitting I dont think it will be anytime soon. Doesnt make any sense but then again lots in mobile fits that profile..

Last edited:
OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm still seeing it on the front page, say's Bionic Details ect...

Did a control f5 refresh/clear cache as well.

billyk

Reaction score
Yeah - I've read that the GS2 may not be 4G - that's a dealbreaker for me.

If we got a "sniff" that VZW data tiering was going to happen in the next week (I hope we get a freak'in heads-up when it does happen!) I'd grab the Samsung Charge.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
not the charge

Yeah - I've read that the GS2 may not be 4G - that's a dealbreaker for me.

If we got a "sniff" that VZW data tiering was going to happen in the next week (I hope we get a freak'in heads-up when it does happen!) I'd grab the Samsung Charge.

take a look at the lg revolution which is suppose to come next week. it is more similair to the thunderbolt but with hdmi. but it may have 512 ram. the charge is the old processor from the galaxy-s not the newer processor. and the charge is benching horribly.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
Last I heard, and this was from 2 VZW reps, so take it as you wish, the Bionic is due out in June. I want to say I read somewhere the tentative release date is June 9th.

I can't wait for the release of this phone either!!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Last I heard, and this was from 2 VZW reps, so take it as you wish, the Bionic is due out in June. I want to say I read somewhere the tentative release date is June 9th.

I can't wait for the release of this phone either!!

Black_Man_X said that they have not received any new Bionic/Targa to test yet. So I doubt it will be June!! I am thinking Early to late August!!!