Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I agree with you, why even release if it is going to be the first of the year when some devices should start seeing ICS? Unless they are modifying this OTA and incorporating the necessary mods to make smooth transition for ICS!

A person can dream right?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I think the Bionic was designed for ICS and 4G in mind. I think when they released it, they took a "Let's see what we have going on now" approach. Now with ICS imminent, I'll give credit for the time moto is taking to (I assume) make sure that the update will work properly with ICS. As we are noticing from people who have patched to 893, they are receiving updates, so it shows that work is being done. I for one, don't want a patch that's not complete or rushed. Perhaps they are waiting for ICS to be released so they can test their patch with ICS's final version. For the time being, I can deal with the issues until the patch, and have faith that it will make Bionic owners happy that they hung in there.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Herein lies the Apple's greatest advantage... dedicating all their resources towards a single flavor of the OS, for a single piece of hardware. It's the same advantage they've always held when competing with the PC.

I'm still not interested! lol

DoctorV

Reaction score
Matt, the forum manager on Moto's Bionic support forum, posted today that the official update is expected in 30 to 60 days: http://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/60849?start=0&tstart=0

Ugh . . 30-60 days. I guess I wouldn't mind waiting that long if it was minor stuff like the camera shutter lag but waiting that long to fix the data connectivity issue is going to be brutal. I think they should concentrate all their efforts on that first and push out a dedicated update ASAP and then take their sweet time fixing all the other minor stuff with another update later on down the road.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever owned a "quality" phone made by Motorola? Every one that I ever owned going all the way back to the Razer had to be replaced at least once.

With the exception of my LG 4400, all of my phones have been Motorola and none had to be returned.

apotheosis415

Reaction score
good ole Moto

leave it to motorolla to leave phones broken on launch that way for months and months. by the time the update comes out, the BIONIC 2 IS OUT!!!!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Has anyone ever owned a "quality" phone made by Motorola? Every one that I ever owned going all the way back to the Razer had to be replaced at least once.

Sure my original Razr was great, my OG1 was great, and I loved my X2 until I killed it. One of my good friends has an X and it's still his phone of choice.

Where I will agree with you is Moto's updates. The third update for my OG 1 ruined it but the updates for the X2 fixed it, although they needed two.

30-60 days, that's 100% error rate, nice.

Last edited:

bigtex52

Reaction score
My Moto bag phone was great, my brick phone was great, my Q9M was great (well, not that great but it never broke), my OG Droid was great (still is, actually and is currently in use on a daily basis by my son) and my Bionic is the cat's nuts. Seems like a pattern might be evolving there....

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
why are they even working on this if it is going to takr 30 - 60 more days ?
They said we would have ICS 6 weeks aftert the release, isn't that about 30 -60 days from now.

That's for testing. I believe vzw takes that long for their testing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at a custom ROM like CM... they do extensive testing and they only cater to a very small portion of the population, and it takes them a long time before final release. The difference is, the testing/alpha/beta process is much more public, so it "feels" more satisfying to us.

Moto (and others for that matter) have to make sure they fix the problems for 100% of the population that has their phone, and it has to "Just work", as much as possible anyway. That takes an awful lot of testing, internally, externally, etc. Yes, the phone should've been released without some of these bugs, but you know how that goes...

Marketing Team: "We have to get this out now, forget the small bugs!"
Engineering Team: "This, this, this and this, need to be fixed first, give us a bit longer!"
Marketing: "Sorry, make it work as good as it can now, we'll fix the rest later."

We're spoiled here on these forums. We hear about things WAAAY before the majority of the population. The testing times for these things are really not unreasonable at all.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I think what bothers me (and most) more than the need for a fix is how we're always left in the dark about it. We just have to HOPE it'll be out in a few months, then they might suggest an update is coming to fix certain issues, then they might say in a few weeks, then a few weeks later they say 30-60 days. Still without any OFFICIAL lists of what is fixed (yeah yeah we all know the general problems, but still almost nothing is "official"), so we can only cross our fingers and hope for the best.

This is what gets me. I'm a very patient person, I know that new phones will have problems, however I'm sick of being told "coming soon" for almost 2 months now. Just tell me it'll be a few months and at least I won't be frustrated with the waiting guessing game...

jeremym

Reaction score
Look at a custom ROM like CM... they do extensive testing and they only cater to a very small portion of the population, and it takes them a long time before final release. The difference is, the testing/alpha/beta process is much more public, so it "feels" more satisfying to us.

Moto (and others for that matter) have to make sure they fix the problems for 100% of the population that has their phone, and it has to "Just work", as much as possible anyway. That takes an awful lot of testing, internally, externally, etc. Yes, the phone should've been released without some of these bugs, but you know how that goes...

Marketing Team: "We have to get this out now, forget the small bugs!"
Engineering Team: "This, this, this and this, need to be fixed first, give us a bit longer!"
Marketing: "Sorry, make it work as good as it can now, we'll fix the rest later."

We're spoiled here on these forums. We hear about things WAAAY before the majority of the population. The testing times for these things are really not unreasonable at all.

So let me get this right...you feel that releasing a phone that cant keep a data connection and causes you to pull the battery because of BSOD plus finding out calls were placed to you but you never get them are just issues we should be willing to sit back and wait for an unspecified time after paying $299 for a phone and getting locked into a 2 year contract? No i dont think people are being impatient or spoiled at all. I think there should be a mad rush at Motorola to get the update out, they should keep their customers in the loop as to the progress of the fix, and verizon should acknowledge that the issues exist.

Just as a side note...minor to me is the sound popping issue when playing music with headphones. I dont think expecting an immediate release for fixing the previously mentioned issues is uncalled for. After all $300 bucks is not cheap and telling the customer "officially we know nothing" when calling verizon is unacceptable.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think there should be a mad rush at Motorola to get the update out

How do you know there's not? I was simply addressing those challenging how long it's taking to push out an update. We have no idea the extent to which this update alters the OS and what other kinds of changes it makes. If you read through the thread on the Moto forums, you'll see even Matt seems to imply they've discussed doing more frequent small updates to expedite things quicker, but (it sounds like to me anyway) there is too much red tape to change those processes within Motorola right now.

I wasn't trying to imply Moto doesn't need to treat this as top priority, and I agree completely they should communicate better with us.

edit: and don't forget Verizon's part in this update... they probably slow things down more than Motorola

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Occupy Droid

bbtkd

Reaction score
We've got nothing to complain about, if you've ever experienced a Palm Treo phone. They would come out with a new phone and right away people report glaring problems auch as lockups,etc. Palm goes through a denial phase, then eventually pre-announce an update. Six months later, they start to release it - but it is bricking a significant number of phones so they pull it. Then they mess with it for a month or two, then release it. By now people are too wary to install it, and when you look at the release notes you see that they have only fixed a few trivial problems and completely disregarded the glaring ones. About this time, a new phone comes out and they stop "supporting" the first one. Of course the new phone has some glaring problems. Only one of many reasons Palm failed. Yessirrrreeee.....we've got it pretty good....