Bionic Update: New Info

jthorpe

Reaction score
Has anyone ever owned a "quality" phone made by Motorola? Every one that I ever owned going all the way back to the Razer had to be replaced at least once.

Motorola is the only phone I will ever own after going with LG and Blackberry for a while. I have never had any trouble with a moto phone. ever.

GeneralZod

Reaction score
We've got nothing to complain about, if you've ever experienced a Palm Treo phone.
Just because one vendor is awful, doesn't make a second vendor good, for not being as awful.

Perhaps Motorola is spreading itself too thin. At present, they have five different Android smart phones on VZW alone, as well as the Zoom. That doesn't account for however many devices they're supporting for all other carriers. Perhaps it would make more sense to give people a smaller number of rock solid options, than a larger selection of troubled devices. In addition, I'm not sure the growing fragmentation withing the Android market is good for anyone.

As jeremym correctly points out, releasing a device they can't even stay connected to the network is just flat out unacceptable. And then making your customers spend months waiting for you to fix the issue, because you're more concerned with rolling out your next device? That's just absurd.

Scribble

Reaction score
I clicked the button that allows it to use data when roaming and haven't had any drop outs since. It's been about 2 weeks now.

I'm guessing with this particular phone they rushed a bit since everyone was already giving them guff about how late it was to begin with.

Why is this phone taking so long???
We're ironing out problems.
We want the phone now!!!
Ok here is the phone...

Why are there so many problems??? Why didn't you take your time to do it right???

:p

Right or wrong, it sucks when you get into a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola is working hard on an update. I say that based on how quickly leaked OTA updates are coming out. In about a week or so we've had 5.5.893, 5.6.893 and 5.7.893. Each one a little better than the previous. And on my phone at least, each one almost totally fixed the issues being discussed. I'm at the point now where the main issue I have is that it takes 3G about 30seconds to 2 minutes to come back on after I drop 4G.

And to answer the poster that asked has anyone ever had a Motorola phone that didn't need to be replaced at least once - I have owned Motorola phones since the first Star-Tac came out and I've never had one replaced (unless the count the one that I had to replace when I fell out of my boat while fishing in the Louisiana Marsh for Redfish!!).

jbs6172

Reaction score
I love my Droid, except...

..for the fact that the stock camera app stinks, so I had to replace that.
.. or that the WIFI won't stay connected and I have to reboot my phone several times a day to re-establish a wifi or 3G/4G connection.
.. or that apps, even stock apps, crash constantly with a force close error.
.. or besides that fact that the stock txt messenging app blows.
.. or that the battery life, even with juice defender installed, rarely lasts more than 6 hours.
.. or the fact that I can view even less online videos on the bionic than I could on my iphone (which was one of the big reasons I jumped to android in the first place)

But other than that, I love my Bionic.

Seriously though, FIX THE WIFI/CONNECTIVITY ISSUES. This, more than anything else with this phone, is aggravating as hell. I NEVER had a problem switching between wifi and 3g on my previous phone, but this one seems to either not want to connect to a wifi hotspot at all (wifi stays grayed out the entire time, even though the phone HAS an IP and I can ping it from the router or the network), or seems to waffle between 3G/4G without ever connecting to either one. This phone is my critical day-to-day communications device as I make rounds between several datacenters, and I use it to monitor my network, server performance, and other critical factors and not being able to connect and review information is a HUGE detriment to my daily workflow.

Last edited:

Scribble

Reaction score
Seriously though, FIX THE WIFI/CONNECTIVITY ISSUES.

It kind of sounds like there might be a little extra something happening with your phone... I've never had any issues with the WiFi on mine. Works like a charm.

alodar1

Reaction score
Just FYI I just got off the phone with a Motorola rep who advised the update should be here in a "couple of weeks." As usual, nobody seems to know a specific date... Where's the Bionic project manager when you need him/her?!?!?!?

You think a project manager would provide a release date here, on this public forum? Potentially weeks in advance? I got this bridge for sale...

At best you might find out in Monday about a Wednesday drop. A patch of this nature has too many small components and is too fluid to say when it will be done. Remember when word of an ota came out. 30 to 60 days.. The moto announcement did not change that timeframe. It only repeated what was said before.

My money is on next week...after the 10th.

portermac

Reaction score
+ 1
You have issues that you have caused and will need to find the setting or app that has caused it.
The funny thing for me is I was having data drop problems and music glitches until our area got 4g now my phone is perfect, not a single issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jbs6172

Reaction score
It kind of sounds like there might be a little extra something happening with your phone... I've never had any issues with the WiFi on mine. Works like a charm.

It's my second phone. Had the same issue with the first one and after repeated calls to Verizon support they recommended swapping the phone out. Same issue. After days spent searching for a resolution, and trying everything except standing on my head while sticking my tongue out at the same time, nothing seems to work. It turns out there are numerous people having the same exact issues with the Bionic (just google bionic and wifi, you'll see what I mean). It will connect to some wifi hotspots fine, and others it will connect but never allow you to connect to the internet (the wifi icon stays grayed out, even though it has an IP address from the wifi router/ap). The 3G/4G waffling problem can only be solved by turning off LTE, but then my data rate is, obviously, throttled back to 3G speeds.

justicw

Reaction score
IIs this the ICS update that we're talking about?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Nope the hot fixes to fix the data issues and other issues. ICS won't come this year.

jbs6172

Reaction score
End users should not be beta testers.

Agreed. It would seem that at least in the case of the Bionic is was rushed to market to beat the iPhone "5" (4S) and wasn't 100% ready for primetime. A seemingly all-too-commonly ocurring tactic these days.

Last edited:

alodar1

Reaction score
Agreed. It would seem that at least in the case of the Bionic is was rushed to market to beat the iPhone "5" (4S) and wasn't 100% ready for primetime. A seemingly all-too-commonly ocurring tactic these days.

Scratching my head....rushed to market? BIONIC was like 5 months late. But using that same theory, the raze was rushed to market to beat the phone 5?

X% of the bionics have problems with something. If rushed to market, 100% of the bionics would have problems with the somethings. We know this is not true. There are lots of people without data problems and such. Everyone appears to have the sound problem. Reboots and black screens do not appear on all phones.

We all know there is an uncomfortable balance between marketing and product readiness. Consumers will never win that battles. We can only hope the correct priority is placed on defects before release. But from your position, saying the Bionic was obviously rushed to market, because, means...

Scribble

Reaction score
Bionic was both rushed and late.

It was originally a lot different, but changed after it was promo'd and the battery sucked even worse. They sent it back into the shop to iron out some more wrinkles, and then people started complaining about when the phone would be released.

So we have a phone that is way over its original release date, but radically changed so probably essentially a new phone that was released probably early.

best of both worlds! :D