Before I return the DROID - Any Solutions to these issues?

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I picked up the DROID last week and in general I think it is a great device, but there are a few things my old XV6800 was able to do which I cannot do on the DROID. I am hoping there are some simple solutions, or I may be forced into getting a Touch Pro 2 and returning the droid - Thanks in advance:

Exchange Sync:
Attachements never open/download. It just hangs after clicking the ok button by the attachement in exchange email.
Root folders not syncing – cannot delete or add root level folders.
No way to accept/deny meetings.
No general reminders/tasks.

PPTP/VPN works but I cannot get the following programs to work. (they work on a sprint HERO my co worker uses).

working RDP client
working SSH client

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I picked up the DROID last week and in general I think it is a great device, but there are a few things my old XV6800 was able to do which I cannot do on the DROID. I am hoping there are some simple solutions, or I may be forced into getting a Touch Pro 2 and returning the droid - Thanks in advance:

Exchange Sync:
Attachements never open/download. It just hangs after clicking the ok button by the attachement in exchange email.
Root folders not syncing – cannot delete or add root level folders.
No way to accept/deny meetings.
No general reminders/tasks.

PPTP/VPN works but I cannot get the following programs to work. (they work on a sprint HERO my co worker uses).

working RDP client
working SSH client

I believe most if not all of these were being looked at in the update on dec. 11th. Though if you feel like you need to return the device, then that is your choice.

thundercats

Reaction score
1. Attachements never open/download. It just hangs after clicking the ok button by the attachement in exchange email.

-
This can be corrected by going into the Exchange Account | Incoming Settings | and un-checking the 'Accept all SSL certificates' checkbox.

2. Root folders not syncing – cannot delete or add root level folders.

-
The sub-folders will sync but not until you go into them and do a refresh. To view the subfolders you need to hit the menu button once inside the root. I agree that this is an annoyance but it should be fixed in the upcoming Android release.

3. No way to accept/deny meetings.

- I'm not sure about your setup here but I've had no problems accepting and denying meetings that arrive via calendar request from my Droid =/

4. No general reminders/tasks.

- Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a known issue in which I believe they're fixing in either the December or January updates.

As far as a working RDP client goes, if you search in the Market for 'Remote Desktop Client' the 1st result that it pulls back works fine. The downside is it costs $18

elbono75

Reaction score
Not to be a general ass, but its a 1st GEN device there is always some bugs that need to be worked out... People who do jump on 1st Gen anything should know this and understand this... I am happy with what I have and I knew going into this head 1st I knew that there can be glitches here and there and updates usually fix it...

Then it also comes down to the Exchange server your company is running and if it is using active sync?

But like New2U said if you feel you must, there is nothing we can say to ya to change your mind... As for my exchange calendar and email no issues here..

sir

Reaction score
that summed it up nicely. You can use SSH if you download connectbot. It even lets you generate sshkeys or import existing ones off your SD card.

OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Not to be a general ass, but its a 1st GEN device there is always some bugs that need to be worked out... People who do jump on 1st Gen anything should know this and understand this... I am happy with what I have and I knew going into this head 1st I knew that there can be glitches here and there and updates usually fix it...

Then it also comes down to the Exchange server your company is running and if it is using active sync?

But like New2U said if you feel you must, there is nothing we can say to ya to change your mind... As for my exchange calendar and email no issues here..

I just need a device that works. I don't like blackberry and did not want to get another winmo device as it (touch Pro 2) already seems very dated. I really want the Droid to work, but I need something that works. My choices are the Droid ERIS or the Touch Pro 2, as these devices are proven to work - I prefer a larger screen and a keyboard which is why I got the Droid in the first place.

This is running version 2.0 of android - the G1 was first generation, this is actually a 3rd generation device.

On the box it mentioned Exchange ActiveSync support - I am not seeing what I call ActiveSync support - it looks like a POP3 client. Our exchange works fine with BES, Iphone, WinMo, PRE's and Hero's (android) - only issue is with the Droid.

I have read reviews which stated a pdf and office reader was included, but I cannot seem to even get attachments to download much less open.

I am not bashing the device - I am convinced I am doing something wrong for all of this not to work.

elbono75

Reaction score

I just need a device that works. I don't like blackberry and did not want to get another winmo device as it (touch Pro 2) already seems very dated. I really want the Droid to work, but I need something that works. My choices are the Droid ERIS or the Touch Pro 2, as these devices are proven to work - I prefer a larger screen and a keyboard which is why I got the Droid in the first place.

This is running version 2.0 of android - the G1 was first generation, this is actually a 3rd generation device.

On the box it mentioned Exchange ActiveSync support - I am not seeing what I call ActiveSync support - it looks like a POP3 client. Our exchange works fine with BES, Iphone, WinMo, PRE's and Hero's (android) - only issue is with the Droid.

I have read reviews which stated a pdf and office reader was included, but I cannot seem to even get attachments to download much less open.

I am not bashing the device - I am convinced I am doing something wrong for all of this not to work.

This is 1st gen for this PHONE... that is what I mean I don't mean in general with android phones...

I understand you want everything to work flawlessly but there are issues to be worked out like any other type of device..

Someone posted some tips for you ....

I am having NO issues with the Active Sync and my companies Exchange server...

The 2.0 os might be having issues with your server , if I am not mistaken the Hero is 1.0 correct ?

dadmann

Reaction score
After I unchecked the ssl box my emails attachments work fine. .pdf, word and excel all come in with no issues.

Just waiting for the signature to be fixed.

OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
1. Attachements never open/download. It just hangs after clicking the ok button by the attachement in exchange email.

-
This can be corrected by going into the Exchange Account | Incoming Settings | and un-checking the 'Accept all SSL certificates' checkbox.

2. Root folders not syncing – cannot delete or add root level folders.

-
The sub-folders will sync but not until you go into them and do a refresh. To view the subfolders you need to hit the menu button once inside the root. I agree that this is an annoyance but it should be fixed in the upcoming Android release.

3. No way to accept/deny meetings.

- I'm not sure about your setup here but I've had no problems accepting and denying meetings that arrive via calendar request from my Droid =/

4. No general reminders/tasks.

- Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a known issue in which I believe they're fixing in either the December or January updates.

As far as a working RDP client goes, if you search in the Market for 'Remote Desktop Client' the 1st result that it pulls back works fine. The downside is it costs $18

Thank you thundercats!
1 - worked (this was driving me nuts).
2 - I can live with if I have to
3 - I am just using Exchange 2007 out of the box - meeting requests come in as emails (maybe I can try to use the webmail client as a workaround)
4 - I hope you are correct - this is a primary function of a PDA

I have tried connectbot and a free RDP - with no luck. maybe there are some updates...

OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update in the event someone else is having the same issues, my problem with SSH and remote desktop is actually related to the PPTP VPN via verizon 3G. No problems when connected to wi-fi. This is a bit weird as my laptop using a vz card works fine - but the droid keeps dropping it's link - I only noticed this when on a vpn initially, but i have confirmed it is happening without the vpn link as well.

VZ's network is typically good, so I am hoping this is picked up in a FW update - I would think this is some kind of android issue.

OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Ok - I have been trying to work with support for over a week on this issue.

Verizon support was as helpful as the could be, they did give me the correct number for motorola support.

Unfortunately, Motorola support has really let me down. I was escalated on the 17th never called (should be called within 24 hours) - and after calling again on the 19th, never received a call back. I am going to give it one more shot today, or I am done with Motorola.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For remote desktop try PhoneMyPc.... only $9.99.... and it has multi touch!