Before I return the DROID - Any Solutions to these issues?

rkoener

Reaction score
1. Attachements never open/download. It just hangs after clicking the ok button by the attachement in exchange email.

-
This can be corrected by going into the Exchange Account | Incoming Settings | and un-checking the 'Accept all SSL certificates' checkbox.

2. Root folders not syncing – cannot delete or add root level folders.

-
The sub-folders will sync but not until you go into them and do a refresh. To view the subfolders you need to hit the menu button once inside the root. I agree that this is an annoyance but it should be fixed in the upcoming Android release.

3. No way to accept/deny meetings.

- I'm not sure about your setup here but I've had no problems accepting and denying meetings that arrive via calendar request from my Droid =/

4. No general reminders/tasks.

- Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a known issue in which I believe they're fixing in either the December or January updates.

As far as a working RDP client goes, if you search in the Market for 'Remote Desktop Client' the 1st result that it pulls back works fine. The downside is it costs $18

Thank you thundercats!
1 - worked (this was driving me nuts).
2 - I can live with if I have to
3 - I am just using Exchange 2007 out of the box - meeting requests come in as emails (maybe I can try to use the webmail client as a workaround)
4 - I hope you are correct - this is a primary function of a PDA

I have tried connectbot and a free RDP - with no luck. maybe there are some updates...

I have the same issue with meeting requests. They just come in as an email with no option to accept or decline. This is a feature I would really like to work.

Also, does anyone know how to set up an email signature? My WinMo device did it automatically.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
1. Attachements never open/download. It just hangs after clicking the ok button by the attachement in exchange email.

-
This can be corrected by going into the Exchange Account | Incoming Settings | and un-checking the 'Accept all SSL certificates' checkbox.

2. Root folders not syncing – cannot delete or add root level folders.

-
The sub-folders will sync but not until you go into them and do a refresh. To view the subfolders you need to hit the menu button once inside the root. I agree that this is an annoyance but it should be fixed in the upcoming Android release.

3. No way to accept/deny meetings.

- I'm not sure about your setup here but I've had no problems accepting and denying meetings that arrive via calendar request from my Droid =/

4. No general reminders/tasks.

- Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a known issue in which I believe they're fixing in either the December or January updates.

As far as a working RDP client goes, if you search in the Market for 'Remote Desktop Client' the 1st result that it pulls back works fine. The downside is it costs $18

Thank you thundercats!
1 - worked (this was driving me nuts).
2 - I can live with if I have to
3 - I am just using Exchange 2007 out of the box - meeting requests come in as emails (maybe I can try to use the webmail client as a workaround)
4 - I hope you are correct - this is a primary function of a PDA

I have tried connectbot and a free RDP - with no luck. maybe there are some updates...

I have the same issue with meeting requests. They just come in as an email with no option to accept or decline. This is a feature I would really like to work.

Also, does anyone know how to set up an email signature? My WinMo device did it automatically.

Have you tried going into the Corporate Calendar and looking for the invite there? This is where you need to accept/decline the invite from even though it shows in Email.

As for Remote Desktop, as a backup solution, look into downloading PDAnet and leverage tethering until a fix is in place for the native DROID VPN. You get the best of both worlds --a larger screen and machine which is superior to your phone for RDP and you still leverage your phone capabilities.

Tethering is not officially supported yet but it is certainly working at this time.

spex

Reaction score
I use ConnectBot also. I think it works pretty well.. after you figure out what key pattern represents the esc key. .. :)

OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
For remote desktop try PhoneMyPc.... only $9.99.... and it has multi touch!

Have you tried going into the Corporate Calendar and looking for the invite there? This is where you need to accept/decline the invite from even though it shows in Email.

As for Remote Desktop, as a backup solution, look into downloading PDAnet and leverage tethering until a fix is in place for the native DROID VPN. You get the best of both worlds --a larger screen and machine which is superior to your phone for RDP and you still leverage your phone capabilities.

Tethering is not officially supported yet but it is certainly working at this time.

Items don't get added to my calendar without being accepted - especially when there are conflicts.

Thanks for the tip on PDANet - but that still requires me to lug around a laptop everywhere I go, and if I need that I will dump the dumb smartphone and just a get a cheapo dumb phone.

OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Just to keep this updated - I have spoken with Moto support now 5 times, and their solution to the PPTP encryption issue is to close the ticket since I have a work around (I disabled encryption).

I am waiting for a new DROID due to my email accounts getting removed every day - I don't see this as a hardware issue, but whatever. I asked the verizon folks if they could send me a different model by "accident" but unfortunately another Droid is on it's way.

I am completely unsatisfied with the poor support of exchange and VPN, both "supported" features, and even more with the support channels. This is a second generation device with a massive enterprise behind it, these kinds of issues should not occur.

Sometimes a kneejerk reaction is the correct one, I should have just returned the Droid when I first had the issues - instead of being swayed by the mythical and magic firmware update which fixed any of my issues. Either way I have taken it off my companies supported device list, and recommending BB, WinMo and Iphones instead.