Battery Pull w/o removing case?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
ugh..I just don't get why everyone insists on comparing every phone, let alone the Droid, to the iphone. How tiring.

The only thing that's similar about these to phones is the capacitive touch screen...and even that is different! sheesh!

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats correct. No need to reboot a device that isnt capable of multi-tasking. The Droid is indeed not an iPhone.

Technically, this is an inaccurate statement. The the Android is a mutli-tasking OS. What our Droid's are not capable of is a phone call and browsing over 3g at the same time. That's a Verizon network limitation, not an Android limitation.

You must be confused because your preaching to the choir here. Maybe you better read it again...

Nope, no confusion here. I think the confusion is over the definition of multitasking. Android is multitasking all the time whether you are aware of it our not. It always has a number of services running in parallel at any given time. The question is whether apps can multitask is the point of confusion and when designed to do so, yes they can multitask as well.

I want get into the technical issues of how multitasking is accomplished (e.g. multi-threaded vs time-slicing). But the fact is, stating Android does not multitask is an inaccurate statement.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Technically, this is an inaccurate statement. The the Android is a mutli-tasking OS. What our Droid's are not capable of is a phone call and browsing over 3g at the same time. That's a Verizon network limitation, not an Android limitation.

You must be confused because your preaching to the choir here. Maybe you better read it again...

Nope, no confusion here. I think the confusion is over the definition of multitasking. Android is multitasking all the time whether you are aware of it our not. It always has a number of services running in parallel at any given time. The question is whether apps can multitask is the point of confusion and when designed to do so, yes they can multitask as well.

I want get into the technical issues of how multitasking is accomplished (e.g. multi-threaded vs time-slicing). But the fact is, stating Android does not multitask is an inaccurate statement.

He was not implying that Android does not multi-task, but rather that the iphone does not. The wording may be a bit ambiguous, but that's how I read it.

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah, my bad. In that case, I was in fact confused. Please accept my apology.

GrandMasterB

Reaction score

He was not implying that Android does not multi-task, but rather that the iphone does not. The wording may be a bit ambiguous, but that's how I read it.

Thank you. My 'statement' in question was a retort to the Guy that says he never has to reboot his iPhone. I then turned his words around stating why he doesn't have to reboot his iPhone as often as the Droid.

@specmac, NP. :)

Last edited:
OP
M

Magdroid

Reaction score
So I guess the answer to my question was SHFT+ALT+DEL. Is that any different than restarting your phone from the power off selection? And again, does pulling the battery actually help or do Anything good for the phone?

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SHFT+ALT+DEL = Pulling the Battery. As others have said, I have seen very few instances where there was a need for a reboot. The only time I have had to was when I had a bad application install. Rebooted the phone and uninstalled the offending app and everything back to normal.

Last edited:

tekops

Reaction score
shift-alt-delete did not work for me.

I have to pull the battery every other day at least (because my phone hangs randomly due to rotation, keyboard slide, etc.). Most of the issues are due to all of the software trying to phone-home to remote servers. I carry both a droid3 adn an iphone4 and I love my Droid3, but the iPhone has never crashed or hung *ever*. --David

Last edited:

H8SPVMT

Reaction score
To reboot the phone without doing a battery pull:

1. Open the sliding keyboard
2. Press the Shift, Alt & Del keys simultaneously.

It takes a few seconds, but the phone will reboot.

I tried this with my Droid 3 also and nothing happened. First I tried just pressing the keys simultaneously, then holding them all down for up to 30 sec.

I saw where you can hit the power and down volume keys simultaneously and reboot the Droid 4 phone but that doesn't work on the 3 either.