1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bionic shuts off, restart only with battery pull....what tha..

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by stingrayracing, Jan 6, 2012.

1. stingrayracing

stingrayracing New Member

I pulled my Bionic out of the holster today and I could not wake it up. It felt warm to the touch. The only way to restart it was with a battery pull. This is the second time it has done this in the last couple weeks. Otherwise it works just fine, not even data drops. Anyone else had this happen? Am I in store for more surprises or is it nothing to worry about? Is my Bionic just being a Bionic??
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

It's known as the BSOD (Black Screen Of Death) and it happens to the Bionic and the Razr. In your case, it sounds like an app got stuck running.

On page 53 of the Bionic Manual:

Crash recovery
    In the unlikely event that your smartphone stops
    responding to touches and key presses, try a quick
    reset. Remove the back cover and battery (“Assemble &
    charge” on page 3), then replace and switch your
    smartphone on as usual.

Since the Razr has a non-removable battery, it's done with the Power and Volume Down buttons pressed at the same time for 10 seconds.
  3. stingrayracing

stingrayracing New Member

Thanks for the reply. I will have to watch my apps if it does it again. Thanks again!
  4. unbesorgt

unbesorgt New Member

Also make sure Display > In Pocket Detection is turned off. Some have reported that causing black screens.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  5. bbtkd

bbtkd Member

Also note that recent updates are supposed to greatly decrease this. Essentially they've fixed a few system bugs that were causing it, but as mentioned non-systema apps still could.
  6. 713King

713King New Member

I called Verizon and they told me that Pandora was the cause of this and that it over ran some files and causes it to do that. Lmao, can you guys believe this crap? He told me a long story of how it is not compatible with the system etc.
  7. zetachi

zetachi New Member

I've been having the issue. Running rooted 5.5.893 build 5.5.1_84. No pandora and pocket detect is unchecked. Didn't have this issue until after system update and root.:mad:
  8. niteperson

niteperson New Member

My wife's Bionic is having the same problem. I changed battery mode to Performance, and in pocket detection was off. Still happened after all that. She doesn't have very many app installed other than what it came with. We've installed...

No Lock
    Pano
    Handcent SMS
    3D Digital Weather Clock
    DIGI Clock
    Dropbox
    Vlingo
    Beautiful Widgets (uninstalled some time ago)

She has screen timeout set to 10 minutes and bluetooth always on so it connects when she gets in the car. Wifi and GPS are always on as well. Mobile Networks setting is CDMA Only.

Does anyone else having this problem use any of these apps? Just trying to eliminate some possibilities.
  9. Underwater Mike

Underwater Mike New Member

I still have the problem a few times a day after the 901 update. But I can't believe some CSR told you it was Pandora!
  10. DavePerez

DavePerez New Member

I have noticed this on three occasions. I think it was because the battery went too low and the system seemed to shut processes down. The battery meter only shows the power status in 10% increments. So, you could have no power and the meter is still showing 10%. Pulling the battery and plugging in works. No problems since I noticed this.
  11. wricks

wricks Premium Member Premium Member

I seem to have develpoed the same issue as well.

Went to bed last night and the extended battery had~70% charge so I didn't plug it up. 05:35 this morning I noticed the LED flashing (gmail) and attempted to wake the phone. Power button didn't wake it, holding the power button didn't wake it, holding Vol up + Vol down + power did nothing. Had to pull and reinstall the battery to get it to power on. Charged the battery until I left the house. At 11:38am pulled it out of the holster to check email and same issue. Had to do a battery pull once again. Had a voicemail and several texts from my wife asking if my phone was broken. Haven't called Verizon yet, but it sounds like they don't know the cause.
  12. Android Sparkles

Android Sparkles New Member

When I first got my Bionic I was told it had that problem. It would shut off on its own and then it wouldn't restart. Verizon told me that people would complain about data drops too. However; I have had my Bionic for about a week now and it is 100% wonderful. It shut off on me once and it hasn't happened again. If you can buy an extended battery for it. I have one just for the reason of it shutting off. My friend has one and theirs hasn't had a problem since they have been using the extended battery.

13. DRILLINDK

DRILLINDK New Member

Started happening to me today. Had to pull the battery twice today to power the phone back on. Between the data drops and now this problem I may have to make a trip to Verizon store to vent.

14. 713King

713King New Member

Don't go to the store just call Verizon and ask fire an exchange.
  15. deduct

deduct New Member

Has happened to me three times in the 4 months I've owned it. Have been on. 901 for 3 weeks now and has not done it once. Crossing fingers....again

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
  16. zetachi

zetachi New Member

Preformed a factory reset on my rooted .893 and (knocks on wood) has only happened once since I reset 2 days ago. Of course now that I've said this it will probably happen more often. :(
  17. edwards2243

edwards2243 New Member

I've had my phone for a week and just experienced my first "BSOD"...here's to hoping it's my last!!!
  18. Indigenous

Indigenous New Member

I'm on my 2nd Bionic, the first one suffered from the BSOD, on a regular basis, like 10 times a week, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. The Aux. jack for my cord in my car and earbuds didn't work all the time too, and 1/2 my screen would go black when switched to landscape to portrait. Now the replacement phone...(I would say new, but it's refurbished) has the same aux. jack problem and we'll see if the new software which was downloaded a day ago will cure my BSOD issue.
  19. rfwright16

rfwright16 New Member

Have had this problem ever since I got the bionic in September. I rooted the phone early on, but had the problems prior to rooting. Primarily the problem is the BSOD. this evening I had the phone in my pocket after turning off the sound. In pocket detection is off. I have also had random data drops, which seems to be worse now than before the December OTA update. for a while I tried going back and forth between CDMA and LTE to save battery, but found the phone BSOD'd more often.

i am currently on 5.5.893. I finally got the phone rooted again using bionicpathsaver. I do not have any really unusual apps. I have none of the apps listed by the previous post-er above who was discussing his wife's phone. I have ALL bloatware on the phone, but frozen using TBU.

I also have a problem with the dialer buttons in-call. This is random and i cannot pin down any cause, but the phone screen goes dark then comes back on.

I usually use the extended battery. I typically use cellular data rather than wifi. I do not normally have the satellite data connection on. I always have bluetooth enabled.

I have come to the conclusion that the product is unreliable. It's disappointing. I want a replacement but don't want another bionic, as I believe Moto and Verizon rushed a defective product to market.

Any brilliant ideas among the folks on DF.net? :frown:
  20. edwards2243

edwards2243 New Member

There aren't any quick fixes for this. However, the 902 update has been rumored to fix the issue. I haven't had any major issues with the BSOD...it's only happened to me twice in a month. I'd recommend taking the update to 902 to see if it helps.
Search tags for this page
droid bionic keeps shutting off
droid bionic keeps turning off
droid bionic powering off
droid bionic screen shuts off

droid bionic shuts off

droid bionic shuts off by itself

droid bionic shuts off randomly after jb have to pull batter
droid bionic shutting down
droid bionic shutting off
droid bionic shutting off by itself

droid bionic turns off by itself