Bionic shuts off, restart only with battery pull....what tha..

Reaction score
I pulled my Bionic out of the holster today and I could not wake it up. It felt warm to the touch. The only way to restart it was with a battery pull. This is the second time it has done this in the last couple weeks. Otherwise it works just fine, not even data drops. Anyone else had this happen? Am I in store for more surprises or is it nothing to worry about? Is my Bionic just being a Bionic??

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's known as the BSOD (Black Screen Of Death) and it happens to the Bionic and the Razr. In your case, it sounds like an app got stuck running.

On page 53 of the Bionic Manual:

Crash recovery
In the unlikely event that your smartphone stops
responding to touches and key presses, try a quick
reset. Remove the back cover and battery (“Assemble &
charge” on page 3), then replace and switch your
smartphone on as usual.

Since the Razr has a non-removable battery, it's done with the Power and Volume Down buttons pressed at the same time for 10 seconds.

OP
stingrayracing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will have to watch my apps if it does it again. Thanks again!

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Also make sure Display > In Pocket Detection is turned off. Some have reported that causing black screens.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bbtkd

Reaction score
I pulled my Bionic out of the holster today and I could not wake it up. It felt warm to the touch. The only way to restart it was with a battery pull. This is the second time it has done this in the last couple weeks. Otherwise it works just fine, not even data drops. Anyone else had this happen? Am I in store for more surprises or is it nothing to worry about? Is my Bionic just being a Bionic??

Also note that recent updates are supposed to greatly decrease this. Essentially they've fixed a few system bugs that were causing it, but as mentioned non-systema apps still could.

713King

Reaction score
I called Verizon and they told me that Pandora was the cause of this and that it over ran some files and causes it to do that. Lmao, can you guys believe this crap? He told me a long story of how it is not compatible with the system etc.

zetachi

Reaction score
I've been having the issue. Running rooted 5.5.893 build 5.5.1_84. No pandora and pocket detect is unchecked. Didn't have this issue until after system update and root.:mad:

niteperson

Reaction score
My wife's Bionic is having the same problem. I changed battery mode to Performance, and in pocket detection was off. Still happened after all that. She doesn't have very many app installed other than what it came with. We've installed...

No Lock
Pano
Handcent SMS
3D Digital Weather Clock
DIGI Clock
Dropbox
Vlingo
Beautiful Widgets (uninstalled some time ago)

She has screen timeout set to 10 minutes and bluetooth always on so it connects when she gets in the car. Wifi and GPS are always on as well. Mobile Networks setting is CDMA Only.

Does anyone else having this problem use any of these apps? Just trying to eliminate some possibilities.

Reaction score
I still have the problem a few times a day after the 901 update. But I can't believe some CSR told you it was Pandora!

DavePerez

Reaction score
I have noticed this on three occasions. I think it was because the battery went too low and the system seemed to shut processes down. The battery meter only shows the power status in 10% increments. So, you could have no power and the meter is still showing 10%. Pulling the battery and plugging in works. No problems since I noticed this.

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I seem to have develpoed the same issue as well.

Went to bed last night and the extended battery had~70% charge so I didn't plug it up. 05:35 this morning I noticed the LED flashing (gmail) and attempted to wake the phone. Power button didn't wake it, holding the power button didn't wake it, holding Vol up + Vol down + power did nothing. Had to pull and reinstall the battery to get it to power on. Charged the battery until I left the house. At 11:38am pulled it out of the holster to check email and same issue. Had to do a battery pull once again. Had a voicemail and several texts from my wife asking if my phone was broken. Haven't called Verizon yet, but it sounds like they don't know the cause.

Reaction score
When I first got my Bionic I was told it had that problem. It would shut off on its own and then it wouldn't restart. Verizon told me that people would complain about data drops too. However; I have had my Bionic for about a week now and it is 100% wonderful. It shut off on me once and it hasn't happened again. If you can buy an extended battery for it. I have one just for the reason of it shutting off. My friend has one and theirs hasn't had a problem since they have been using the extended battery.

DRILLINDK

Reaction score
Started happening to me today. Had to pull the battery twice today to power the phone back on. Between the data drops and now this problem I may have to make a trip to Verizon store to vent.

deduct

Reaction score
Has happened to me three times in the 4 months I've owned it. Have been on. 901 for 3 weeks now and has not done it once. Crossing fingers....again

Sent from my DROID BIONIC