Battery Life?

moset

Reaction score
Battery stats will always total close to 100%!
If you use less power for display the other %'so will have to go up.
That doesn't mean the OS or radio is using more battery, just a higher % compared to other things.
If you want to know how much of your battery is being used by anything listed take battery % used times % then divide by time on battery.
That will tell you how much each thing listed uses per hour.
OS only looks high because the display uses so little. It's all relative.
If you're getting 10+ hours with display on for more than a couple of hours if say battery life is outstanding.
IMHO

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

pyrofreak

Reaction score
If I turn the background data off my d3's battery life is nearly spot on to what my droid's was. If background data is on my phone stays hotter than if its off and the thing will die in a few hours just sitting there. The radio must be trying to send or receive data the whole time.

If the phone is running cdma can I take the sim card out and still have service? I wonder if its some how messing with the battery life.

dancingcrab

Reaction score
If I turn the background data off my d3's battery life is nearly spot on to what my droid's was. If background data is on my phone stays hotter than if its off and the thing will die in a few hours just sitting there. The radio must be trying to send or receive data the whole time.

If the phone is running cdma can I take the sim card out and still have service? I wonder if its some how messing with the battery life.

Have you turned off Global and GSM services? Shouldn't need to take the SIM out.

My D3 (got it yesterday) ran the battery down quick the first time (about eight hours), but since taking if off charge this morning at about 0900, it's at 50%. That's almost eight hours of medium usage (IMing, couple of calls, browsing, installing games, briefly playing a few games). I've mostly been on wifi.

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
Full charge for me today got me a little over 10 hours with moderate use. Not bad considering my X2 got about 6.

Ordered an extended yesterday along with a dock, looking forward to not worrying about getting through the day.

Like everyone else my display was 4th on the list with Standby, Idle and System 1, 2 and 3.

geobernd

Reaction score
A couple of comments:
The battery usage % is based on some approximation/calculation. It may have overstated display in the OG Droid and now is understating to some degree...
The extended battery has roughly 25% more capacity. If you are dead after 10 hours now it would be approx 12.5 then - not too much a difference...
From my limited experience so far it seems that the D3 is holding up about the same as the OG Droid. I spend most of the day in extremly reception challenged areas (Jersey City right on the Waterfront where you get a lot of stray signals from NYC - also get a nice view but that's besides the point - and on trains, subway etc...) and I can make it through a day with moderate use... If it's any heavy I plug it in in the office...

Immolate

Reaction score
Some posts in this thread confuse me. Isn't battery "conditioning" li-ion batteries a myth? And that fully discharging li-ion batteries is highly discouraged?

Read the links to Battery University and the Apple and Blackberry manuals on Lithium Ion battery care and feeding. I can smell an old wive's tale a mile away so I did my research back when the DX came out and now I know.

Your phone depends on the circuitry built into your battery to estimate power remaining, but the battery logic is pretty rudimentary and loses its accuracy over multiple partial charge and discharge cycles. This has nothing to do with memory or conditioning. This is just about re-calibrating. You're right that frequent full discharges will lead your battery to an early grave. The recommendation I remember is to do a full discharge once per month.

aggiechase37

Reaction score
I wonder what kind of difference LauncherPro versus the stock launcher would make...

I ran the stock launcher for the first few days to give it a chance. It is very elegant and pretty. But the thing takes up like 40 mb in RAM, which has to be pumping the CPU as well. Somewhat laggy going back to homescreen, but not intolerable.

Launcher Pro is noticeably faster. Also is less memory intensive at around 20 mb in RAM, so I'm assuming less intensive on the processor as well. Just installed it last night so I'll give it a couple days and let you guys know.

Couple quick notes on the launcher. LP doesn't run some of the widgets, like the quick contact widget, which I REALLY likes running the stock launcher. Also supposedly a couple other widgets will not work as well, but I didn't try them all so don't have an exhaustive list.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
LP doesn't run some of the widgets, like the quick contact widget, which I REALLY likes running the stock launcher. Also supposedly a couple other widgets will not work as well, but I didn't try them all so don't have an exhaustive list.

Have you tried colorized widgets yet? i love their contacts widget, havent gotten my droid 3 to see it in person yet for quick contacts from moto blur but coming from the original droid there wasnt any stock contacts widget that you could scroll with, im using launcher pro on my original droid and the colorized widgets work great :) cant wait to try it on my d3 tomorrow :)

mattbooty

Reaction score
That doesn't mean the OS or radio is using more battery, just a higher % compared to other things.
If you want to know how much of your battery is being used by anything listed take battery % used times % then divide by time on battery.
If you're getting 10+ hours with display on for more than a couple of hours if say battery life is outstanding.
IMHO

Yes, but if on the OG droid I got 16 hours with display at 40% and cell standby at 15%, then on the D3 the display became so much more efficient that it drops to 5%, all other things equal I should get MORE time on one charge, and right now I'm getting maybe an hour or two more.

More Technically, based on my battery times:

D1 = 1420 mAh battery. I got approx 16hrs on a charge with 40% as display and 15% as cell standby. This means on my D1, display used ~ 35mAh per hour and cell standby used ~13mAh per hour.

D3 = 1540 mAh battery. I'm getting approximately 18 hours on a charge with the same usage and its reporting 5% display and 35-40% cell standby. This means on my D3, display is using ~4mAh per hour and cell standby is using ~30mAh per hour.

So essentially the cell standby process went from using 13mAh per hour to using 30... it MORE THAN DOUBLED. So while yes, percentages always add up to 100%, the sizeable drop we are all seeing in display % will cause the other percentages to go up but SHOULD also amount to a significantly longer battery life, which we are NOT seeing.

My assumptions above could be incorrect, but I think this is showing just how much more INeffecient cell radio is on the D3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

moset

Reaction score
Point taken. Maybe the extra radio? Can it be disabled? Global radio.
Haven't moved on my upgrade yet. Waiting to compare to Bionic.
Still from what has been reported here battery life seems OK for most.

rushmore

Reaction score
IMHO

Yes, but if on the OG droid I got 16 hours with display at 40% and cell standby at 15%, then on the D3 the display became so much more efficient that it drops to 5%, all other things equal I should get MORE time on one charge, and right now I'm getting maybe an hour or two more.

More Technically, based on my battery times:

D1 = 1420 mAh battery. I got approx 16hrs on a charge with 40% as display and 15% as cell standby. This means on my D1, display used ~ 35mAh per hour and cell standby used ~13mAh per hour.

D3 = 1540 mAh battery. I'm getting approximately 18 hours on a charge with the same usage and its reporting 5% display and 35-40% cell standby. This means on my D3, display is using ~4mAh per hour and cell standby is using ~30mAh per hour.

So essentially the cell standby process went from using 13mAh per hour to using 30... it MORE THAN DOUBLED. So while yes, percentages always add up to 100%, the sizeable drop we are all seeing in display % will cause the other percentages to go up but SHOULD also amount to a significantly longer battery life, which we are NOT seeing.

My assumptions above could be incorrect, but I think this is showing just how much more INeffecient cell radio is on the D3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure how you can compare them, since different OS version, chipsets and displays. Seems any power gain for pentile display is offset due to being .3" larger size. The weight of the measurements for battery can also be off to some degree.

Did you disable the GSM and using only 3G radio? People report that makes a big difference for battery life.

mattbooty

Reaction score
Point taken. Maybe the extra radio? Can it be disabled? Global radio.
Haven't moved on my upgrade yet. Waiting to compare to Bionic.
Still from what has been reported here battery life seems OK for most.

I already disabled the global and am on only CDMA. I agree the battery is satisfactory, it gets me through the day, I think what everyone is discussing is if it is the Radio its possible this is something that could be fixed and provide us with even MORE battery life.

mattbooty

Reaction score
Not sure how you can compare them, since different OS version, chipsets and displays. Seems any power gain for pentile display is offset due to being .3" larger size. The weight of the measurements for battery can also be off to some degree.

Did you disable the GSM and using only 3G radio? People report that makes a big difference for battery life.

Using only 3G. Thats why I focused my numbers on only looking at cell standby and display percentages. If the display uses 5% of the battery (give or take as you said it may not be exact but it should be close), its 5%... a .3" larger screen doesn't make 5% a bigger number, its still 5% (if anything it shows how MORE effecient it is that the % dropped that much with a LARGER screen).

And by comparing D1 to D3 cell standby percentages as a power used per hour calculation, it should eliminate any variation caused by different OS (although I was on GB on my droid as well), chipsets, dual core, etc. Those items shouldn't effect how much power the cell radio is using, only the other percentages... if it was android OS or phone idle, or some app that was using the majority of the battery, I agree we could all just chalk it up to a more powerful phone requiring more battery.

Big D

Reaction score
What would be some possible reasons why standby usage is so much higher than before?